Studio One 3 + BitWig (any Studio One users here?)

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love bitwig, love the modulation options and it has replaced Live as my go to scratchpad and loop arrangement based host. I also use Cubase (8) for more linear arrangements and the lack of comping etc. in BWS for now really have me flip flopping....but I am really 'off' Cubase, and getting more so with each release- its just too much for one man in a home studio....

So- I took a look at Studio One 3 demo after reading about some of the pretty cool new features, its the first time I have ever looked at Studio One- to my surprise it was very much like Bitwig (or visa versa!) which is a good thing in my opinion.

Cross grade pricing is pretty good, its very 'grown up' as a linear DAW- what do you think, I would just be swapping from LIve/Cubase to BWS/Studio One- but I just seem drawn the that one window way of working.... :help:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yep, that's me. I tried a bunch of DAWs recently because I won't be making the jump to Pro Tools 12 (11 has been too unstable for me). That's how I got to Bitwig and Studio One. This combination is perfect for me - as a singer/songwriter, in my very respectable home project studio. On my setup (Windows 8.1 custom overclocked build) both of these are super stable (unlike Live and PT). I find that I use Bitwig for writing and sound design, and for capturing ideas in the moment (it loads much faster than Studio One). And I find Studio One to be terrific for mixing and mastering -- although in v3 they added a bunch of tools for songwriting and arranging. Great combination of DAWs for start to finish song production. Studio One supports VST3, and is rock solid with VST2.4. I also use Melodyne Editor and the integration with Studio One is great. Bitwig is great for routing the crap out of stuff, the clip launcher and just plain old having fun and getting creative. I'm just starting to align the keyboard shortcuts now in both, so that will be a nice workflow enhancement, too. I haven't tried the Faderport script for Bitwig, but that's also on my to-do list for workflow enhancements. With Studio One 3 I could even give it an orange/red theme if I wanted to ... and now that I'm thinking about it...
Studio One Pro 3.3 and PT 12.6 on Win 8.1 Pro, i7-3930k, Sabertooth x79, 16GB G.Skill 2133, Lynx Hilo, Eleven Rack, Chandler TG2, Liquid Channel, Mojave MA-200, Focal CMS65s. Oh, and a "few" guitars...

I've settled on this combo as well, although I am still also using Live until Bitwig gets Midi and key mapping. I'm doing sound design and ambient work, and love Bitwig for this purpose, and S1 gives me the features I need for a final mix. I'm actually trying to setup Bitwig to be played as an instrument from within S1. I've got the audio routing part working, I just need to figure out how to get Midi sync between the two programs. That's my project for this weekend.

I left Cubase for S1 for the single window UI and fantastic workflow. I think Bitwig did a better job with the UI - it's the best I've seen. Without additional features like audio clip crossfades and take based recording (and they may never have these features) S1 will still be part of my setup.

Studio 1 is so much easier to use with controllers.

I love studio one 3..

so much
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

Ciberithm wrote: Without additional features like audio clip crossfades
this will come, it's something that is obviously a basic feature.
Ciberithm wrote: and take based recording (and they may never have these features) S1 will still be part of my setup.
comping is kind of announced for 1.3

aMUSEd wrote:Studio 1 is so much easier to use with controllers.
how so?

I really liked Studio1 v2..... Some small tweaks a bit more color all the things they have included in V3. They realized one of my main feature whishes the arrangement, but then this black and black is the only usable maybe dark grey surface this touchscreen g
GUI. I will not upgrade. Sticking with Bitwig and LogicProX

and a bit of the old Sequel3

pdxindy wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Studio 1 is so much easier to use with controllers.
how so?
Because you don't need to select from a bunch of scripts that may or may not support your actual hardware (or in my case more than one controller, none of which are supported or work even with generic ones). S1 control link is so easy to set up and just works.

Thanks everyone- good to hear a few people are thinking the same way (and its not just DAW lust on my part). I don't plan to sell Live 9 or Cubase 8 any time soon, noy until I am sure anyway...but the £200 X Grade for StudioOne 3 seems good value considering you get some pretty nice tools, instruments and effects with it.

I'm also a singer/songwriter/arranger type guy with a purpose built small studio on the house, I don't record big bands! I need something fast and immediate, fun and easy to use is a bonus!

I'm pretty sure BitWig has the potential to do most of what S3 does, and I also agree the basic model of BWS takes the best of everything (logic, Live, S3) and add some twists (modulation etc.) that give it the potential to 'be the one', but given how long V1.2 is taking, I cant wait for 1.3 for comping :ud:

I actually love the look and colours of S3, looks very clean and pin sharp on my display, in so many ways Cubase 8 is better 'on paper' and probably more efficient at running plugs, but I just don't get inspired, and this is a hobby, its supposed to be fun- I feel like I am booting up a spreadsheet when I run Cubase!

The audio editing, meladine and mastering (project section) of S3 mean I may also get rid of Wavelab 7, now that I hardly ever load up!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Bitwig has no plans on helping out us mix/master engineers from what i've read. So S13 is the best compliment to Bitwig, once Bitwig fixes all it's bugs and add's all it's promised features it will blow everything music production wise out of the water. Just like S13 is blowing all the mix/master/recording Daws out of the water right now.

Apparently apple has introduced sandboxing for audio units for OS X el capitan ... and multi band fx... will probably make its way into logic in the fall when ios9 and el capitan get their official release but the videos apple dropped on the new core audio and audio unit extensions features look insane.

damn everyone is stealing the bitwig features tho..
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

Curse of the small Developer, you can be creative and come up with interesting and unique ideas, but if they are good, software companies with more coders can not only copy it, but improve on it and market it better! Although I have to say, I'd Studio one was out before BWS then I am not sure who copied who! Either way, the one window layout works for me and I am realy realy impressed with S13-

SLiC wrote:Curse of the small Developer, you can be creative and come up with interesting and unique ideas, but if they are good, software companies with more coders can not only copy it, but improve on it and market it better! Although I have to say, I'd Studio one was out before BWS then I am not sure who copied who! Either way, the one window layout works for me and I am realy realy impressed with S13-
All this talk about copy! If someone owned the wheel the progress of technology would be rather slow! Taking ideas from other and making it better is what pushes industri forward! Many say bitwig copy ableton or logic etc. Not a big deal because everybody copies everybody in some way! The mixer , compressor, distortion etc. Was invented long before any daw! Yet we se them in all daws! So they all have copied what someone else first came up with and taken it a bit further! Fanstastic if you ask me! Keep copy and improve and keep push bounderies! Those who say just a copy, think again! Without that there would be a very limited marked and we users would suffer
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

Just to make clear i dont speak against anyone with i said. Just speaking my mind about what i think about copying etc :)
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

Return to “Bitwig”