Sticking midi notes on external gear

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,
I'm still a bit of a n00b when it comes to sequencing from DAW to external gear. I'm running Bitwig on Debian Linux, out through a Fastrack Pro to a Volca Keys then recording the audio back in again. I've managed to sequence and record 3 tracks so far with minor issues but now I'm just getting sticking notes on the volca nearly everytime I play the transport.

I presume this is because a "note off" isn't being received properly after a note on (although you'd think it would that stuck note would fix itself next time around the loop). Any idea how do start troubleshooting this? What generally causes these issues? Why doesn't Bitwig have a "Panic" button. :)

Lots more testing later. I've recorded a quite substantial note piece into Bitwig and hooked it up using an External Intrument. I have midi going out through a Fasttrack Pro to my Roland A90Ex (stage piano), this is channel's 1-4. I then midi thru to the volca on channel 5.

Technically this all works but playing back I get lots of random missed notes. The polyphony on the volca was causing sticking notes so that was fixed by using Unison, but closer down the chain, using channel 1 on the A90EX, plain piano patch I get lots of missed notes. This just shouldn't be happening.

I decided to test using other apps. Seq24, Ardour, Qtractor through jackd all manage to playback flawlessly. Only Bitwig is unusable with my external gear.

Here's a gear summary

Average PC running Debian Jessie 8.1
Fasttrack Pro for Midi and Audio in. This appears to use alsamidi and not jack midi.
Roland A90EX (VE-RD1 card) channels 1-4
Volca Keys channel 5

Fwiw, i send out all my midi via 'Hardware Instrument' devices. If you deactivate this it stops all notes that are stuck within Bitwig. This way i can also control any offsets. Notes working fine here but i´m on Win7 .

Maybe route the midi back in and look at it with a midi analyzer.

i know a similar intern-problem with "swallowed up gate-offs", which results in hanging notes. Mostly on the next loop / playing this note again will send the correct gate-off, but sometimes (eg BWS is stopped, or the plugin from where the notes come inits/resets internally) this note is now completly outside the plug/HW-instrument/bus and not accessable anymore from their. In this case you can only stop this note by bypassing the recieving device.

And i have a reaktor-all-gates-off (panic) device, which works fine inside reaktor (from instrument to instrument, without cables) and in live, but not in BWS.

Anyway, BWS should at least implement an intern all-gates-off when stoping the run. I guess that is not so hard to implement, its a generally order, without regard to other if-than-not... processes, a simple all-off-trigger by stop SQ!

Update on this. Turns out the Generic Midi Clock Transmitter controller was causing the issue. Once I removed it, no midi messages were lost.

Return to “Bitwig”