SplineEQ's interface changes?

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SplineEQ

Time to give SplineEQ some love. I have an idea, I can see why not everyone would love it, but here it is:

Right now controls-wise the GUI is kind of packed, I could make the preset buttons smaller to make room for two extra buttons and that's about it, and I'm gonna need to add lots of functions in the future, lots of options and what not, so I've got a screen real estate problem. So I was thinking, how about a sort of "menu" button, clicking it would turn the big visualisation area into a thing with lots of buttons for selecting functions or choosing options, and while we're at it it could allow you to customise the rest of the layout, choose what you want to have on the normal interface or not, because why not. Sounds good?

I was working on Photosounder 2.0's new GUI system and I thought SplineEQ could benefit from having that kind of stuff.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Consider organising the controls into two or more tabbed pages; one can be 'settings' with the visualization, interface and other set-and-forget controls, one with the band, curve and other often-used controls, and one with preset menus or whatever. I think that closing the visualization area when you need to select functions may interrupt the 'flow'
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote:Consider organising the controls into two or more tabbed pages; one can be 'settings' with the visualization, interface and other set-and-forget controls, one with the band, curve and other often-used controls, and one with preset menus or whatever.
Oh I hadn't considered tabs.
Michael L wrote:I think that closing the visualization area when you need to select functions may interrupt the 'flow'
Well if the whole thing on the right is customisable you would be able to have all the functions you need during the normal flow of things right there. As in, you wouldn't activate that pseudo-menu to choose "undo", you might choose it to save a preset (debatable) and you most likely would for changing the interface size which probably doesn't need a permanent knob present at all times.

Look at the current interface and try to think of which controls you don't need to have permanently immediately available. Maybe you don't need the 3 top knobs (some people might consider them superfluous/redundant), or the Limiter knob (you might just set it once and never touch it again), or the Presets and Interface knobs, or even the Colour knob if there's really just one colour scheme you use. That's half of the current controls right there that you might not need at all times, you might want to replace those with other controls, or even just leave some free space to unclutter things.

The tabs idea is good, I hadn't thought of it, but I might want to add so many things that it won't fit in just two tabs, and I think it would suck having to switch between 3 tabs all the time (like, "where's that control, wrong tab, which tab is it..."), whereas I think people can choose what they want in a way that fits the current layout and have the rest an extra click away.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Return to “Photosounder”