UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

l33t4e wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:06 pm
zahush76 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:55 am I'm in a dilemma here...
I had the UVI Falcon at the time, upgraded to version 2.0 and liked it very much.
But when i needed $$ i had to sell it to help me gather funds for the Hardware Prophet 10 rev 4.
So i kinda miss it - but at the same time i also have these vst plugins:
- VPS Avenger (which although not as complex - still is a multi engine synth and simpler to navigate)
- Komplete Ultimate 14 CE (which means kontakt and 3rd party libraries, massive x, reaktor etc)
- Arturia V collection 9
and so on.

So i'm asking myself to what extent this will be overkill.
With the vst's i already have - i have virtual analog, fm, wavetable, sample mangling, additive and so on.
But Falcon 3 is very tempting - and it has all these new sequencers which i can route to my hardware synths (Prophet 10, UDO Super 6 and Moog Matriarch) so it seems very useful even if i won't use its sounds (although regardless if i use it or not - it sounds awesome).
Then again, $199 - although a bargain compared to the full price, is still a lot.

Advice?
Easy. Sell VPS Avenger and get Falcon 3 or don't sell and buy anyway. Version 2 to 3 was a huge change and FREE! So if you buy now (lowest it has ever been BTW) then later versions are FREE!

Also........G.A.S. compels you! :D
Sell Avenger??

I own Falcon and I do like it very much but common, Avenger 2 is the best synth around.

Jac459 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:18 am
I had the UVI Falcon at the time, upgraded to version 2.0 and liked it very much.
But when i needed $$ i had to sell it to help me gather funds for the Hardware Prophet 10 rev 4.
- VPS Avenger (which although not as complex - still is a multi engine synth and simpler to navigate)
- Komplete Ultimate 14 CE (which means kontakt and 3rd party libraries, massive x, reaktor etc)
- Arturia V collection 9
and so on.

With the vst's i already have - i have virtual analog, fm, wavetable, sample mangling, additive and so on.
But Falcon 3 is very tempting - and it has all these new sequencers which i can route to my hardware synths (Prophet 10, UDO Super 6 and Moog Matriarch) so it seems very useful even if i won't use its sounds (although regardless if i use it or not - it sounds awesome).
Then again, $199 - although a bargain compared to the full price, is still a lot.

Advice?
Easy. Sell VPS Avenger and get Falcon 3 or don't sell and buy anyway. Version 2 to 3 was a huge change and FREE! So if you buy now (lowest it has ever been BTW) then later versions are FREE!

Sell Avenger??

I own Falcon and I do like it very much but common, Avenger 2 is the best synth around.
It’s the layman’s Falcon. Just admit it.

- Arturia V collection 9
and so on.

Advice?
My advice is.... Upgrade avenger to Avenger 2 first. Avenger 2 is way better than Avenger 1 and to me it is just the best synth around currently.

For sound design, I use Avenger 2 over Falcon 3 100% of the time.
But Falcon still has a few strong points:
Excellent midi players with midi out.
A fabulous ecosystem with many many sounds that you can tweak to the Mac with Falcon 3.
Absolutely excellent factory presets.
A capacity to be a pure synth and a rompler.

Avenger 2 is a way nicer synth than Falcon, I think it’s lush.

I'd like to understand something and cannot figure it out and cannot find a reference in the manual.

Cinematic Shades. For example Pads -> Black Hole.

There are two macros named Ambience and Space. They are assigned to BusRouter>SendLevel. I don't get what this should be in this case and how I could create a marco assigned to it as well.

Thanks for helping out!

Fleer wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:03 am When considering Avenger, Falcon and Spire, I got the latter two, primarily for their sound, and added the Arturia Collection plus Pigments for good measure. Some other great synths here are the ones from u-he and Tracktion, especially Dawesome’s Novum, also Kilohearts’ PhasePlant, FabFilter’s Twin 3 or the incoming SynthMaster 3 from kv331. And I’ve got a special place in my musical heart for EastWest’s Forbidden Planet as well as for Chromaphone 3 from AAS.
But the UVI Falcon flies high with its myriad of oscillators, modulators and effects.
Man, I have all the synths you listed except the 2 last ones (EastWest’s Forbidden Planet as well as for Chromaphone 3 from AAS) and they are great great choices.
Many of them are in my top 10 or to 5, but Avenger 2 is very very clearly my top 1.

I think phase plant, spire and Falcon are with avenger my top 4 synths.

So I guess we have similar taste.
In this context you HAAAAVVVE to buy Avenger 2, it is just a monster.

collider wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:31 am I'd like to understand something and cannot figure it out and cannot find a reference in the manual.

There are two macros named Ambience and Space. They are assigned to BusRouter>SendLevel. I don't get what this should be in this case and how I could create a marco assigned to it as well.

Thanks for helping out!
Sorry in advance if I misunderstood the question, but like for a DAW, Falcon has a complex mixer. This mixer has send channels (channels on which you can put any FX and that you after inject into the other channels).
In the case you describe the macros are just signed to 2 send channels and their level into the other channels.

Jac459 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:35 am
collider wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:31 am I'd like to understand something and cannot figure it out and cannot find a reference in the manual.

Thanks for helping out!
Sorry in advance if I misunderstood the question, but like for a DAW, Falcon has a complex mixer. This mixer has send channels (channels on which you can put any FX and that you after inject into the other channels).
In the case you describe the macros are just signed to 2 send channels and their level into the other channels.
Thanks for your reply.

The thing is: these FXs are not put on the mixer. I can't see them and I enabled the show fx tab in the mixer. They are put on Aux 1/2 in the program level.

Jac459 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:33 am
Fleer wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:03 am When considering Avenger, Falcon and Spire, I got the latter two, primarily for their sound, and added the Arturia Collection plus Pigments for good measure. Some other great synths here are the ones from u-he and Tracktion, especially Dawesome’s Novum, also Kilohearts’ PhasePlant, FabFilter’s Twin 3 or the incoming SynthMaster 3 from kv331. And I’ve got a special place in my musical heart for EastWest’s Forbidden Planet as well as for Chromaphone 3 from AAS.
But the UVI Falcon flies high with its myriad of oscillators, modulators and effects.
Man, I have all the synths you listed except the 2 last ones (EastWest’s Forbidden Planet as well as for Chromaphone 3 from AAS) and they are great great choices.
Many of them are in my top 10 or to 5, but Avenger 2 is very very clearly my top 1.

I think phase plant, spire and Falcon are with avenger my top 4 synths.

So I guess we have similar taste.
In this context you HAAAAVVVE to buy Avenger 2, it is just a monster.
Thanks, but it just doesn’t make me jump. Sometimes it’s the GUI, sometimes the EDM focus, but I simply don’t reach for it the way I reach for Falcon, or even Spire.

simmo75 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:31 am Avenger 2 is a way nicer synth than Falcon, I think it’s lush.
If you like lush, try Spire. For me, Spire’s the lushest of the lush.

Fleer wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:23 am
Jac459 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:18 am
- Arturia V collection 9
and so on.

Advice?

Sell Avenger??

Speaking my mind Fleer! :lol:

My advice is.... Upgrade avenger to Avenger 2 first. Avenger 2 is way better than Avenger 1 and you'll get more money for it when you sell it to get Falcon 3.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

l33t4e wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:21 am
Fleer wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:23 am

Speaking my mind Fleer! :lol:
What is Layman's Falcon ? I googled it but not much info.

Aloysius wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:59 am My advice is.... Upgrade avenger to Avenger 2 first. Avenger 2 is way better than Avenger 1 and you'll get more money for it when you sell it to get Falcon 3.
:hihi:

Sometimes I don't get peoples comparisons. Falcon 100% started off as the Machfive sampler, a collaboration with MOTU, by version 3 it had various oscillators, analog modeled filters, and granular engines built in as well as MIDI tools, making it a more workstation synth. Now that's fully realized in Falcon, but, it's still to me not a synth like Avenger, they're completely different. At least in the sense that Falcon has a base as a sampler, and Avenger a synth.

I would never think of making a multisampled library for Avenger, but Falcon is my go to for that, more so than Kontakt these days. I would guess without a doubt that Avenger will get you a more massive sounding supersaw quicker than in Falcon.

Return to “Instruments”