Bought it. Loving it!

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Post deleted. No longer interested in purchasing RapidComposer.
Last edited by lasvideo on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

you are missing out!
"..What is simple, is simply seen.."

I agree nexussynth!

I had revisited the post yesterday afternoon to drop a MIDI file for lasvideo to test and found he had changed his mind.

Maybe he figured out what he was doing wrong in Harmony Builder and got it to work in BIAB :shrug:
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

He wrote me the same email from facebook, youtube comment, and email, because I did the tutorial videos..... I politely responded that I didn't have time to help him test a midi file from RC to see if it will open in BIAB... I know very little about BIAB. But I would assume MIDI Standard 1 would work, as it's a multiple-track/multiple patch standard for over 20 years. Most midi files open in another program, assuming that the host's MIDI tracks/sounds are set properly.

I don't know if he personally took offense but I was kindly responding, saying he should join the forum to see if someone could help him out better than I could. I'm insanely busy these days which is why I've been so quiet around here... haven't emailed Attila in months.

So yeah, sorry if I came across like I didn't care, man.... but maybe RC isn't for you. BIAB has a lot of benefits from the videos I've seen.... both programs have their strengths.

I have no idea what happened with that dude... again, I was just trying to politely respond that I was too busy, and the forum could be more helpful.

BIAB will only get you to pop jazz or rock (actually Jammer pro is better for rock). you also have much less control over the arrangements it generates.

RC is what i have been looking for many many years..
"..What is simple, is simply seen.."

I am so sorry, I think I missed this post. Not just because I was terribly busy with development but I did not get any e-mail notifications. My bad. :(

Attila

Thanks for thinking of me everyone! :)

I did watch all the tutorials eventually (out of curiosity) and felt that the GUI and software and workflow just wasnt for me.

Simultaneously I investigated Synfire Pro as well. While just as complex in its own way, the workflow and GUI just felt better to me. And since my goal was to compose a classical style, I like its approach to using midi info to create new figures (that definitely need massaging in the creation process),

Of course when I rock out blues or jazz, the new BIAB (with real tracks) cant be beat and is what I will use. With Harmony Navigator providing the initial musical inspiration and eventual midi file of the progressions.

Each to their own. ;)
Last edited by lasvideo on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

dsan@mail.com wrote:I agree nexussynth!

Maybe he figured out what he was doing wrong in Harmony Builder and got it to work in BIAB :shrug:
Actually the midifile generated by HB was nonstandard. Had to help developer troubleshoot issue and eventually found out how to fix it :P

nexussynth wrote:BIAB will only get you to pop jazz or rock (actually Jammer pro is better for rock). you also have much less control over the arrangements it generates.
And yet to my ears BIAB with real tracks sounds SO MUCH better ;) FYI, Jammer is Windoze only.

lasvideo wrote:.... And since my goal was to compose a classical style, I like its approach to using midi info to create new figures (that definitely need massaging in the creation process)...
It's worth pointing out that Rapid Composer does MIDI -> phrase analysis and conversion too.
Each to their own. ;)
Indeed. Best of luck on your musical ventures.

Thanks for the info Groundhog!

Hi everyone. Im back. I decided to take a closer look at RC.

My goal is to create classical chamber music styled pieces. My work flow will involv either accessing/restructuring phrases for classical midi files or recording them from my keyboard. Since I want to take advantage of the midi performances of instruments like the Bohemian Violin, I wanted to make sure any midi controller info (in file or from keyboard) is retained in any phrases I then select and create.

When complete I want to import the midi tracks for refining and mixing in Studio One V3.

Is all this doable? Thanks for any input.

If I understand your question correctly, you can send any of the MIDI CC values via RC. However, I find it better, in my work flow, to just send the note informaiton and then manipulate the clip in the DAW.

So yes, basically, you can do what it is you want to do in RC.

RC is very feature rich. It will do what Synfire is capable of, just does it a bit differently. They both have their learning curves but once you get into things I think each has its own value (although I don't own Synfire because I think the dev, albiet a really nice guy, has his software way over priced. I base my comments on what I have learned about the software.)

I highly recommend downloading the RC demo and trying it out. Be aware that if you purchase RC, the Idea Tool is only available in the full version. I think the Idea Tool has become the most valuable feature of RC.

If I may suggest, a thread title change may be in good order ;)

Cheers!
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I asked because from my experience the midi performance/controller values when played live from a keyboard are essential to the beauty of the Bohemian Violin tone. Trying to add those nuances in the DAW, after the fact wont really be the same as capturing the info "live".

LOL! Good point about the thread! Thanks for the info.

Yes, I think it is doable. One user, yellukhan prepared hundreds of reusable phrases from Vivaldi, Stravinsky, Gershwin compositions (see "A few custom phrases" topic).

Please note that while MIDI file import and MIDI recording retains controller information, controllers belong to the track, not the individual phrase. When you move around phrases, controller info stays with the track. However you can easily edit MIDI controllers, there are lots of tools to choose from (right/secondary click on the MIDI controller area): Freehand/Line/Exponential/Curve Tools (Set and Replace mode), you can scale or add an offset to the controller values. Adding controllers to phrases is on the to-do list, but it has to be implemented at the same time or after the phrase editor will be improved (in about 2-3 months).

RapidComposer supports articulations. If you have an articulation list for the Bohemian Violin, I will help you to prepare an articulation definition file that you can use in RapidComposer. You can assign an articulation to phrases or individual notes, as well as a track may have a default articulation.

The group track (3rd icon from the left over the tracks) lets you edit multiple tracks on the same piano roll. You can change the instrument of a phrase (i.e. move to another track) with a single click when the 'group track overwrite mode' (double ended arrow) is enabled. I mentioned this because you may find it useful.

Thanks,
Attila

Thanks Attilla.

Yikes, having the controller info associated with the phrase seems very important when things need to be shifted around on the timeline. I will look forward to that development. The midi controllers created by the Bo Violin are detailed and specific. Not something I could replicate or do justice to with a line or curve tool . :)

Ive attached an image that might help out with the articulation definition file. Though I have a bit to learn before I ready to use it ;)

Return to “MusicDevelopments”