VST host version; tracks as groups don't mute

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I notice that as a Cubase VST and SX owner, Tracktion doesn't work with a bunch of the plugins. Is this a problem with the version of VST host support, or a host information check within the plugin? If the latter, can you set what Tracktion says like the old web browser User-Agent issues?

Also, I notice that using tracks as groups (sending other tracks to a track with no audio on it) works as expected but the mute and solo do not appear to function for the group track. (?) When I mute the group track, nothing happens. If I cause no audio to be fed to the mute/solo sink on the right, things work as expected. This makes the workaround for not having groups a little cumbersome -- if you group vox tracks you have to mute them individually.

1. The Cubase SX bundled plugs are locked to Cubase by Steinberg and can't be used in any other host. Other VSTs should (with a few exceptions due to plugin bugs) work as expected. There are lots of free plugins out there that may fill the void!

2. You have to mute them all individually, I'm afraid. I agree that group tracks and group muting would be nice. Hopefully in version 2 (due any season now).

Martin
"Life is both a major and a minor key"
-- Travis, Side

The method of muting seems to be a point of contention between Jules and many of the users.

I, like yourself, would like group muting and soloing, but may not get to see it.

Muting or soloing 10 drums and cymbols sure is troublesome.

A big part of the "A-Tracktion" to Tracktion was the simplicity of it. What you may see as a missing feature, I see as something I don't have to "workaround". I spent sooooo much time with other sequencer/multitrackers, just trying to get around the "bells and whistles" just to get to what I need. Tracktion has been an incredibly refreshing change for me in the respect.
Now I'm not trying to say that you're wrong and I'm right. We're just different.
To put it in another way...I'm not going to use a bulldozer to plant flowers.....a shovel will do just fine, thank you very much....
Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.Thanks for letting me say it.

I don't disagree that simplicity is a strength of Tracktion.

I don't think that group functionality is a missing feature, it's done by routing tracks to other tracks -- and thus through their filter chains -- but I do think it's a bit broken since apparently they pass through the same filter chains but are somehow split pre-mute? That's the part I just don't understand.

Tried doing this with racks somehow -- did no good.

Point is, despite all of the flexibility and power of Tracktion while maintaining simplicity, and that this issue I bring up may be a design preference of the author's, the logical way to do this group mute doesn't work, and there is no good workaround.

Return to “Tracktion”