good edm hardware drum machine?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, i'm after something with an easy to use sequencer on board and with a variety of drum capabilities that can cover all styles of EDM from house to hard trance.

Something also with a great set of inbuilt kits to get started.

I'm not familiar with the drum machine world, the only hardware dedicated drum machine i ever personally owned was a novation drumstation back in the 90's, and although we used it a lot, it wasn't suitable for everything. The way we did drums back then was my writing partner used to take individual sounds from our variety of hardware modules and synths and play patterns via the keyboard one by one till we had our multitrack drums. He was amazing at that but unfortunately till today, that remains by big weakness.

I want something hands on that doesn't have to go through the computer to be programmed, BUT, if possible, COULD send it's internal midi sequence that i create with it, to the computer to be recorded as midi on the daw's piano roll. Hope that makes sense.

Something that is also easy to recall settings for project recall.

Maybe i am asking a alot, which is why i'm willing to save for the right one. I on't care about acoustic drums, i have them coming out of my ears with xln/slate/toontrack, and i rarely use them anyway.

Really looking forward to some suggestions here.

TIA :)

TR8 again and again.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Elektron Analog Rytm... maybe more machine than you are looking for, but it is an incredible machine!

Another vote for Analog Rytm ... awesome. You can sample with it too.

Roland TR 8?

Korg EMX-1 !

braindistortion wrote:Roland TR 8?

if this is doing just TR sounds it definitely won't be enough. I will check it out though. Thanks.

pdxindy wrote:Elektron Analog Rytm... maybe more machine than you are looking for, but it is an incredible machine!

that's the thing, there can't be overkill in what I am looking for here.. as i want one beast to cover all my edm drum needs. So the better the box the better for me. price is what it is. I will save my ass off.

I will look into it, i just read up on overbridge, this would be really good for daw integration.

So far out of the suggestions this definitely looks the most promising.. Will be heavily checking out vids all day, thanks!

Back to previous poster re TR-8, i just read it is 808 and 909 sounds only.. this is exactly what i am NOT looking for.. as i said in my first post, i already had a novation drumstation and we needed way more than what that could offer.

I already have this in V collection 4.

Sorry but i am asking for hardware with it's own internal sounds and it's own on board sequencer.. hence posting in hardware section of kvr.

Nevermind. Just saw that i kind of misunderstood the requirements.

My gut tells me that you might be better of with a sampler since you're looking at a very specific type of sound and you probably have the samples already anyway.
So an MPC, or a Machinedrum UW, or indeed an Analog Rytm . You'll probably like the sequencer on the latter two better.

I guess every drum machine is going to get listed here... but my vote goes with an Electribe ESX1 ...

it's the safer bet, since you can't really go wrong with electribes. the very first electribes are great, but i think only for the afficianado at this stage. the new electribes i'm not so keen on at all, but the emx1 & esx1 models are easy to recommend.

on the higher end of the price and 'difficulty' scale (it's a comparatively complex machine to get the most out of) i'd suggest a MDuw mkii ... which have recently come down in price. it's an amazing drum machine really, incorporating 12 bit sampling + various dsp synthesis...6 individual audio outs...and midi sequencing. add a jomox mbase & mbrane to it, and you've got a killer drum machine setup that covers all the bases. that's what i'd spend my money on, but it won't be as immediate as the electribes... but once learned it's pretty much just as quick to work with.

BDeep wrote:My gut tells me that you might be better of with a sampler since you're looking at a very specific type of sound and you probably have the samples already anyway.
So an MPC, or a Machinedrum UW, or indeed an Analog Rytm . You'll probably like the sequencer on the latter two better.

mpc is sampler only?

No i actually want synthesis, that's the main requirement. If i just wanted to use samples i'd buy nerve and be done with it (since i drum is officially dead).

Rather than audition through thousands of samples, (and they are all annoyingly stereo as well, even kick drums!), i want to create something as i go along to fit the song.

My jd-xi has some fantastic kits, but i want a hardware sequencer and the pads, as well as a fully dedicated hands on knob experience to tweak the drums :)

I have the Tempest ,Analog Rytm and Analog Four (also the rolands, but those are too limited).

The drum synthesis in the Tempest is way beyond that of the Elektrons and the sample banks have all the classic drum machines in case u need/want to layer them with the synth.
Aside from the drums you also have a wonderful edm synth.

Analog Rytm is cool, but the synthesis is very simple and limited.
It really shines when you start using samples and the sample browsing is a real PITA.

Analog Four makes great drums (deep synthesis) and also good EDM synth sounds.

Both Elektrons have overbridge which is amazing in the studio !

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”