Dom, can you please explain the reasoning behind the new pricing model?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And why you decided for 159euros for 1 year instead of something more in line with other daw prices?
IMO 99euros would be a better deal... and not only for us customers...

Thanks!

I personally don't decide about the price, as you might already guessed.
The official statement for the reasoning behind the new pricing model can be found here:
https://www.bitwig.com/en/17/new-license-model.html

Cheers,
Dom

With "you" I intended the Bitwig Team, of course.
Thanks anyway.

Hey, Dom!
When beta version will be available for test?
"The masses are basically stupid. So you have to make stupid shit" - deadmau5.

There's no exact deadline and I guess we'll switch from Alpha to the first small Beta rounds within the next two weeks, depends a bit on the Alpha feedback.

Cheers,
Dom

dom@bitwig wrote:I personally don't decide about the price, as you might already guessed.
The official statement for the reasoning behind the new pricing model can be found here:
https://www.bitwig.com/en/17/new-license-model.html

Cheers,
Dom
From the posts I 've seen online it seems that the bitwig team thinks people do not understand the new model. However they do understand its nature and that you own the software. Everyone does by now. Its the pricing that is a huge issue. This is debated to death in bitwig 2 dedicated threads in gearslutz/reddit/kvr and on your facebook comment section as well as the youtube comments. There is just an overwhelming feedback regarding pricing the product 3 times as much per year related to the competition and just that.

If you could let the team know that its not about the model of payment but the relative price to it and the absurdity of getting to be the most expensive daw per year, in some cases by 3 times as much if you want to have access to updates and fixes like in any other daw that a user wants to keep up with the new versions, they might understand what the community is raging all about..

This assumes you upgrade every year, I only upgrade similar models (Komplete Ultimate etc) every 2-3 years (when something relay worthwhile comes along) and it works out (wait for it...) 2-3 times cheaper than upgrading every year for stuff I don't want/need.

Assuming you only have to upgrade to get 'new features' (and your copy is stable and bug free) then you can divide the subscription by 2 or even 3 just like any 2 or 3 year upgrade cycles on other DAWS....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:This assumes you upgrade every year, I only upgrade similar models (Komplete Ultimate etc) every 2-3 years (when something relay worthwhile comes along) and it works out (wait for it...) 2-3 times cheaper than upgrading every year for stuff I don't want/need.

Assuming you only have to upgrade to get 'new features' (and your copy is stable and bug free) then you can divide the subscription by 2 or even 3 just like any 2 or 3 year upgrade cycles on other DAWS....
With Komplete you do not need to have the latest Komplete version to get updates for the included products (as long as the version is not linked to the latest Komplete). So, even with older Komplete versions you get updates to e.g. Kontakt, Massive, etc. And probably support, if there are issues.

so, not really a similar model IMHO.

best

If you are looking for the CEO, here he is! I'd say drop 'em a line :wink:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy7IAU-TIjU
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

Rappo Clappo wrote:If you are looking for the CEO, here he is! I'd say drop 'em a line :wink:

Darn! I thought Treemonster was their CEO. What a disappointment! :D

Rappo Clappo wrote:If you are looking for the CEO, here he is! I'd say drop 'em a line :wink:

This is also Pete Brown from Microsoft? Nice guy, very helpful and with a lot of inside information about the audio part in Windows at Gearslutz.

4damind wrote:

This is also Pete Brown from Microsoft? Nice guy, very helpful and with a lot of inside information about the audio part in Windows at Gearslutz.
look a few seconds longer maybe

There is that... You can wait till the feature you're waiting for appears. And you can lapse and jump back in at any time for the same price. If I'm not mistaken, Avid charges $99 a year but jumping back in after letting it lapse is $249. Clever. Caveat emptor.

And thanks Dom.

jonljacobi wrote:There is that... You can wait till the feature you're waiting for appears. And you can lapse and jump back in at any time for the same price.
Just like with all software. But you do understand the other differences to normal software updates though? Under BWS2 scheme, you stop getting any updates after 12 months from last payment. With normal software, you get free updates until next major version, and the cost of upgrading is significantly lower for all major competitors when divided into annual slices like BWS.

In other words, you get less for a higher price.

People here do not complaining about 169$. People complaining about next thing: When 12 months period will be finished you will not receive any bug fixes. That's the main reason for all negative in media now.

Example: I have update/upgrade period from February 28th 2017/February 28th 2018. In Bitwig i have a bug on my system and with that bug production process is very hard for me. They don't fix it in February 28th 2017/February 28th 2018 period and fixed in the beginning of March 2018. I need to pay 169$ to get new update with this bug fix.

I will pay 199$ if they want but want to receive bug fixes for free. That's my point of view.

Return to “Bitwig”