Will bitwig ever be SNAPPY and fast?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.
After 3 years i need to bring this up. (and it did many times now by others)

When working in other daws, (yeah,.. here we go sorry) i never feel any lag.
In bitwig when pop up mixer or browser or note editor it looks/feels like it brings me it with a bulldozer .
It takes almost 1,5 secs to bring it up. Feels like a big pile of mud.
It all shows so slow and sluggish. Not to mention selecting a lot of clips and move them. You really need to concentrate when doing it.... Counting 1 2 3 here we go: MOVE.
It really starting to annoy me. Its out for 3 years now.

I bought version 2. But if this aint got fixed in a year im off buying a new year.

Dont get me wrong! I freaking LOVE bitwig! But please please make it SNAPPY and FAST!

I've only had problems with opening the pop up browser while a vst window is open, because it hides the vst window so the popup browser gets infront. 1.5 second delay while opening the piano roll sounds to me like you should contact customer support and report the issue you are having on your specific system.
Join us in the unofficial Bitwig Studio discord server: https://discord.gg/9bYrakS

Ok maybe im exaggerating with 1.5 secs. But it just doesnt POP.. it comes up in steps.
When pressing shortcut for it i just want to be there immediately.
And yes vst GUI dissapearing when the browser pops up . But you can pop that back up by the gui icon of the VST in mixer.
Word of the day.. pop-up. :D

I think it could get there but not as good as compared with Studio One.

For example, in studio one, when you have a vst open and click on a different channel, it will bring up the vst in that channel automatically and it does this extremely fast.

Piano roll is flawless, gui lagless and generally it feels smooth.

Version 2 seems snappier but still a work in progress.

As for moving around clips, if you have the note preview on they intensify a lot.

Vst's will lag even in 2.0 and those who use mainly 3rd party don't have it easy.

This is similar to the laggy animations in Samsungs implementation of Android where you have to dive in developer's options and make them from 1x delayed to instant. I doubt the bitwig devs know this issue or even have it in their roadmaps as every time something like that came up most people either think its some sort of bug or a plugin fault.

This is UX 101 though.. Try mailing support, don't expect them to read or care about the forums. The more people that report this thing and raise awareness the better.

However in my opinion this is not by design, just baseline crappy UI performance. Don't think they had their UX guy design a daw experience that crawls its feet behind a poot user that struggles to write down his ideas before inspiration flyes out the window..

Maybe not quite as snappy, but not that bad. Never bothers me on my Core i7-3770 with NVMe storage (Intel GFX) and I never feel deprived when I've been using others and switch to Bitwig. If I had to guess, being programmed in Java, designed to be modular, resizable, and template-able, I'd say no, it's never going to be quite as fast.

No lag in the UI in 1.x and 2.0. i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.

How many tracks and plugins are there, and how many softsynths of which kind playing at the same time to get a slow UI ?

mevla wrote:No lag in the UI in 1.x and 2.0. i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.

How many tracks and plugins are there, and how many softsynths of which kind playing at the same time to get a slow UI ?
This has nothing to do with what you are trying to say.. This is not user error or a bug. I got a 6700k a 6900k a xeon 2687v2 and a macbook pro, all completely different setups with different interfaces and windows 10 except for the mbp ofc. All very powerful machines and all share the same exact problem.

Its not a snappy UX coming from pretty much any other DAW I can think of or tbh any other content creation package I can think of (PS, Maya etc) . There doesnt have to be a load in the DAW. Even though the more you load it the worse the UI crawls, which tbh is again a unique issue to bitwig in my experience from any other daw..

sisarii wrote:This has nothing to do with what you are trying to say.. This is not user error or a bug.
It is certainly not a user error to have 50 softsynths playing and 45 audio tracks, each with 3 or more audio plugins. Although it's nice to know when the UI slow down happens and in which conditions.

For instance, I use an old, poor man's machine, as described above. The largest hobby project I have done had 32 tracks, with at least 15 softsynths, but not all playing at the same time. Between that project and all others done in a bit more than a year (that's around 115 sketches (or 'projects' although I do not call them that) to various levels of completion) I have never seen any slow down in GUI, anything not responsive. Apart one single thing that annoyed me: the scanning of the sample libraries that's sometime done at startup. Which is much better now in 2.0. Same with the Mixbus DAW for that matter: snappy, no delay. And I want things to be executed and done when I click. In Bitwig 2.0 the notice popup that is now shown when saving lasts around 1.5 seconds more and although this has no effect on work flow, I can't help but noticing it and if it was affecting flow, it could get annoying very fast as I save each time there's dead space in the flow.

So from your comments that points out to a minimal project where the UI is shown as slow, I would then tend to think that the Linux platform allows for better, cleaner execution. Which is not an excuse to not optimize for other platforms - if this is needed - of course.

It's as snappy as anything else I have. FL loads faster IF I don't have a template at start up that takes forever. Songs load w/o issue. Plugs don't seem to load any slower than other hosts.

it has the same speed as the Java(Virtual Machine) based applications (eclipse, *strom), so IMO this is the price of the cross platform supporting
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I am also a studio one and BWS user, never noticed any persevable lag myself with BWS.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It is certainly more snappy than Logic Audio.
Honestly i dont have any lag problem even with large project.
I use a 27 Imac 2012.

No (noticeable) problem here either.

https://gfycat.com/HarmoniousSeriousDwa ... ?speed=0.5

This happens with 4-5 inst tracks, no playback no plugins, 0 dsp usage, on every single computer I 've installed bitwig on.. Never saw that in other DAW , notes or clips chasing the pointer..

Return to “Bitwig”