waiting for the machine gun roll out

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just playing with the demo of V2 but scared if I do something good
I cant save it.. SO I am waiting for the machine gun of roll outs, to start
as promised. as soon as I see them coming thick and fast, I will press the buy button and upgrade. might as well wait until then to make my paid for upgrade year last a bit longer.

cheers kev
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

I am pretty sure BWS V2 is worth the full cost even if you didn't get any free upgrades....just think of them as a bonus if you get any :wink:

Buy it if it does what you need 'now', never buy anything based on what it may do in the future!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

turbo_kev wrote:SO I am waiting for the machine gun of roll outs, to start
as promised.

cheers kev
Well, not a fan of the new license policy myself .... still on version 1 myself.

... but, grow up (or wait) - this is software development and there will be no machine gun roll outs - no way. Especially not if they want halfway reasonable quality. I guess no one would really enjoy that.

best

steff3; says ... but, grow up (or wait) - this is software development and there will be no machine gun roll outs -

1.) Dude, That's Rude!: (Get Some Manners)
2.) Machine gun roll outs were promised from the BW team
and so far iv not seen any, so its my prerogative to mention it
3.) No one forced you to read my post, so keep your rude disrespectful comments to yourself

Cheers Kev
Last edited by turbo_kev on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

turbo_kev wrote:SLiC; says ... but, grow up (or wait) - this is software development and there will be no machine gun roll outs -

1.) Dude, That's Rude!: (Get Some Manners)
2.) Machine gun roll outs were promised from the BW team
and so far iv not seen any, so its my prerogative to mention it
3.) No one forced you to read my post, so keep your rude disrespectful comments to yourself

Cheers Kev
I think you have the wrong person.....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Same here, after the v1 update fiasco i decided to learn from my mistake and wait to see with my own eyes if the team delivers a faster flow of the updates as promised by the new sub model. So far I have seen absolutely nothing of importance happening other than the distortion device after more than half a year..

yeah, 'machine gun updates' .. that's not possible with software, without introducing bugs, and I don't remember BW promising this.

however, they did say, that the new model would allow BW to introduce new features more regularly/frequently, without the need for waiting to release a 'major version' , as they would not be tied to the paid version upgrade model, so have to stack up for 'revenue'
and I think its fair to say, we have seen little evidence of this.
(note: this is a valid development model (called 'agile') employed in many software companies, frequent releases with targeted new features)

as a developer, I've no issue with paying for improvements... developers have to eat :)
but if all the changes are stacked up for a big announcement at NAMM next year with a release date, that 'suspiciously' falls a few weeks after the 2.0 release, then I think many are going to 'call this out' as mere marketing spin...
it will indicate BW saved features up, so that users who upgraded early to 2.0, are enticed to pay the yearly update fee. which becomes identical to the version upgrade model, features are still bundled, and you still have to pay each year to get the new features.

as I said, I've no issues with upgrade fees -but personally, id prefer the approach taken by Cubase , where they release a 0.5 upgrade , approx. yearly, with a bunch of features, and you choose to upgrade or not, just feels more open/honest.

Sorry SLiC I meant steff3

thetechnobear said yeah, 'machine gun updates' .. that's not possible with software, without introducing bugs, and I don't remember BW promising this.

I think youll find if you search the forums for when the new price strategy started

that BW did indeed say .." new model enables us to completely forget about those things and just machine gun out features as we go. We thought a lot about it and decided to do that brave step "

cheers
Kev

just saying

I'm yet to see any evidence of 'machine gun updates'. Perhaps this will change but as I'm already 6 months in to the 12 months I paid for I'm not overly optimistic. As other posters have said, I think I'll put this one down to marketing hot air. It's certainly going to make me think very carefully when the renewal comes up..
MacPro 6,1 // Live 11 // Bitwig 4 // Reason 12 // Logic X // Soundtoys // U-he // FabFilter // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

turbo_kev wrote:Sorry SLiC I meant steff3
So, my apologies, I should have chosen a more adequate form to express that.

Also, concerning the machine gun comparison - the idea a software developer (or a person close to software development) might have wanted to express in terms of the frequency of update releases and what a customer is likely to understand might quite differ.
There was a lot of talk about a not well thought of move with not carefully considered communication concerning the new license policy.
Seeing 3-4 updates in 6 months ( and I do not means the traditional fashion of releasing one update and the a bugfix to fix issues introduced with that update and another bigfix to fix the bugfix etc. - as we all know from Apple, Microsoft etc.lately) seem not too bad generally speaking. if I would consider it worth 169 euros per year is another discussion though.

expecting new features every two weeks or something like that seems very well unrealistic - even if one could imply sth like that from what was said (but maybe never meant that way) However, a lot of us use software for quite some time now and we might not have experienced two week updates for products which such a level of complexity ever. So, to expect it is also a way of wishful thinking ....

best

The problem with little and often (if that is what is implied by machine gun updates) is that the big fundamental stuff never gets done. I guess as the Devs have access to the 'modular' framework they could just keep adding a rack fx or instrument every couple of months, but personally I don't want that.

My understanding of the subscription model was that they could launch big headline features when they were ready rather than wait and compline them for the big paid V3 update.

I am still hoping for the modular system to open up as part of V2 sometime soon....

There is so much good stuff in V2.1 I don't know how you guys are resisting the upgrade, just ignore the years free updates and buy what is already there, V1 is a long long way behind V2.1 and the update is worth every penny, I would have upgraded without any free updates so just consider anything I get a bonus.

I agree that Bitwig have made a rod for their own back with this unessesery subscription model, there is no road map (the one we had for what to expect in V2 hasn't come yet) and if anything communication is worse on this forum that in was initially. There are however very few bugs now so perhaps we are about to get something big that would normally constitute a V3 upgrade....modular, networking....maybe even comping ;-)

SLiC wrote:
There is so much good stuff in V2.1 I don't know how you guys are resisting the upgrade, just ignore the years free updates and buy what is already there, V1 is a long long way behind V2.1 and the update is worth every penny, I would have upgraded without any free updates so just consider anything I get a bonus.
Well, but this policy invites to offset the update and wait - and there are so many different expectations users have towards a piece of software.
I use BWS on a surface - so, does version 2 offer me that much more (in terms of touch / stylus operability) than version 1? In terms of Windows integration (Bluetooth midi support?)

If I get a new computer I will update - or if they add Bluetooth midi support and touch / stylus features which are interesting .....

And the features - well, I have my focus set upon a specific set of features and the others, which are actually in there? - not enough appetisers to get me excited I guess ....

Well, for sure I will update one day, sooner than later, but waiting is enforced by the policy ....

just my thoughts

steff3 wrote:
SLiC wrote:
Well, but this policy invites to offset the update and wait - and there are so many different expectations users have towards a piece of software.
I use BWS on a surface - so, does version 2 offer me that much more (in terms of touch / stylus operability) than version 1? In terms of Windows integration (Bluetooth midi support?)

If I get a new computer I will update - or if they add Bluetooth midi support and touch / stylus features which are interesting .....

And the features - well, I have my focus set upon a specific set of features and the others, which are actually in there? - not enough appetisers to get me excited I guess ....

Well, for sure I will update one day, sooner than later, but waiting is enforced by the policy ....

just my thoughts
Sure, I can see why people wait for specific features. I am a big Eurorack guy, so they had me at CV!
I think a lot of people are waiting for more linear DAW features, others are waiting for more creative and left field stuff....who would be a developer! Either way, be really good if Bitwig would give us a clue what's coming up, it has been a while....

Maybe they do a shotgun roll out. You know, a lot of features in one release. :hihi: :pray:

Return to “Bitwig”