Using Crossover in Bitwig 2.2

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am trying to use Crossover in Bitwig 2.2.2 (macOS 10.13.2).

Bitwig is recognizing four chains in Crossover instead of three. It is splitting the middle stereo pair into separate mono outputs, so I get 1/2, 3, 4, and 5/6 as outputs. There is no config in Bitwig to control how VST multi-out is recognized. No way to combine mono pairs into a single chain.

The outputs are also numbered strangely: 0, 2, 3, and 4.

I am trying to determine if this is a Bitwig or a Tracktion issue. Unfortunately, I don't have another DAW which supports VST multi-out, or I could test this myself.

I have asked Bitwig support about this already. They didn't have any suggestions other than to use their built-in Multiband FX-3 effect, which is fine for what it is, but lacks the control of Crossover (no slope, no band overlap or exclusion).

I think the Crossover was developed before we had propert multi-bus support so it's probably something we need to fix our end. At the moment I think the Crossover simply has a single bus, 6-channel configuration.

I think what's happening is that it's picking up the conical form for a 6-channel output which is 5.1 configured like [l, r, c, lfe, sl, sr].
It's then pairing the l/r and sl/sr channels.

We probably need to update this now we have full multi-bus but I'd need to do some checks to ensure this doesn't break compatibility with existing hosts and projects.

Thanks for reporting it.

Ah. That makes sense. I'm hoping that multi-bus will not break the ability to pick up the outputs as Bitwig chains. Otherwise I'll be stuck with Ableton-esque multi-bus routing with separate audio tracks for effects. The Bitwig chain integration is a breath of fresh air compared to any other DAW I have used. So much less routing to do.

Bitwig support confirmed what we already knew. FYI - Here's their email for reference:
Hello -----,

we have tried the demo version of the VST and it looks like the plugin does not announce its multiouts correctly. It works fine with other VSTs that communicate their channel structure correctly to the host, so we're afraid this is something that has be solved in the plugin itself.

Best regards,
Bitwig Technical Support Team

Return to “Tracktion”