Waveform 8 vs 9, your experience/opinions?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought 8 on january and been working with it on some projects. I recently saw the ad for 9 so I wanted to ask your opinion about the new version. I dont really care about the new features so much. I just wanted to know how is it cpu/ram wise, if some midi stuff are fixed. I am having some midi problems that I talked about in previous posts here. Also a newer one that when I draw midi notes and loop the project first bar is out of tempo. And it renders out of tempo when I export the loop in wav file. Weird.

I didn't do much with W8, yet my limited experience was that it had a good number of issues, which I think are mostly worked out in W9. In my opinion, having active Trackion dev support for the version your using is very much worth the price of admission. They are very responsive to bug fixes and feature requests, which have been being implemented much faster than in the past. Deeply happy and grateful for how Waveform is maturing, which is highly present in W9.

For me W9 is the most stable, capable and enjoyable version since T2, and with a LOT more functionality. I'm running W9 on an ancient Dual Core Dell D630 laptop with 4 GB Ram and a 512GB SSD on Windows 10. My audio engine is also ancient, which is the RME Fireface 800. The SSD was the best thing I've ever purchased, in that it improved Waveform's performance by a staggering amount. I record at 88.2/24 bit, and do a LOT of comping, so disk access speed is really crucial for my particular use. Seriously, adding the SSD allows this laptop to perform well beyond what I'd expected, or even imagined.

:clap:

in my case q6600 4gb ram ssd and win 10 w9 is faster than w8.

Thank you for the replies guys. Decided to do some tests and answer my own question.

Tested the same projects on 8 and 9. There was no difference cpu and ram wise. Midi problems are not fixed yet though. Havent worked with 9 so I dont know if its snappier than 8. Seems that way.

Waveform indeed has a great future thats why I decided to support it by buying 8. I think I am going to pass 9 for now. Keep 8 at least for a year.

9 has felt faster and more robust (they dropped x32 support). Well worth the upgrade price - unless any of the outstanding issues are total deal-breakers for you.

Return to “Tracktion”