Loomer Architect: A modular MIDI toolkit

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So , let's talk about architect 1.0 ..........
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:04 pm So , let's talk about architect 1.0 ..........
This feels a bit rushed, it certainly needs some more years of private beta.

Hi Colin, hope all is well.

Is there a way to unpack the duration of an incoming midi note? I can't seem to figure this one out!

Thank you

Is there 5th year beta party planned?

What happened, why is it taking so long to get to v1?
Also, you were adding some presets, or at least starting modules to quickly get up and running, where are they?

simmo75 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:46 pm Is there 5th year beta party planned?
The name of the party is "the first years of beta". :party:

wrote: What happened, why is it taking so long to get to v1?
Essentially, getting to v1 - in particular the v1 that feedback told me that people wanted - was more work than I originally planned for. On top of that, dividing my time on working on updates for the other products eats into Architect development time. And particularly of late, support in general has been significant, and some of the plug-in issue I've been dealing with have taken (literally) weeks.

So it wasn't just a case of getting together the module examples and documentations, alas: I could have went down that route, but I don't think it would have met people's expectations. Being able to support the features that I keep being asked for - such as being able to better organise large projects, being able to use interspese Architect graphs with plug-ins, being able to easily add modulators like LFOs - all took some redesigning. It all converged on a solution which I'm really pleased with, but this came at the expense of time. As I've said for a while, though, I think I'm there code wise: I'm still fixing bugs on the newest branch, but feature wise it's all very stable and works exactly as I'd like. Which is a long winded way of saying, thankfully: not much longer!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

mannymang wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:17 pm Hi Colin, hope all is well.

Is there a way to unpack the duration of an incoming midi note? I can't seem to figure this one out!

Thank you
It's a little more involved than you may think because of MIDI being a stream-based protocol. You won't know how long a note is until you receive a matching note off. Someone asked for this before, and I put together a little macro that records the clock time of the noteon and noteoff and subtracts the two. This may do what you want, but you only get the time *after* the note has finished.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:18 am
mannymang wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:17 pm Hi Colin, hope all is well.

Thank you
It's a little more involved than you may think because of MIDI being a stream-based protocol. You won't know how long a note is until you receive a matching note off. Someone asked for this before, and I put together a little macro that records the clock time of the noteon and noteoff and subtracts the two. This may do what you want, but you only get the time *after* the note has finished.
Could I get that macro? Thanks!

Sure. I have a few different versions: one that just times the difference between consecutive note ins and outs, and another that does it per note/channel. Do you have a preference (or both?)

Both please :) Much appreciated!

Please find attached the two versions of the inter-note counter. They both work in a similar way: recording the time when a note-on occurs, then subtracting this value from the current time when a successive note-off occurs The former fragment stores just a single value, whilst the latter uses a map keyed on a tuple of (key, channel) to store the time per MIDI note.

Because these use the main transport for timing, Architect's transport must be playing when the notes are received, otherwise it will just output the time as 0. If you need it to work without transport, it's a simple job to swap the `get clock` with a free-running counter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks Colin!
All the best.

colin@loomer wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:43 am I hear ya, Kalamata, and I will try my upmost to get these to you as soon as is feasible!
I think manual is quite good and it moved one paragraph forward in last 4 years… 8)
Just documentation on some examples would be IMHO more welcomed - this was also one reason why Thomas Hanzle sold Arch. :?
In this time scale – why would u not just give every 2 months always little look into what is happening in some plugin – I would suggest AZZIN Musinum, who bring here probability and also used there sequence, which most of us (not familiar w/ Pd, M4L, coding) encounter for the first time.
If it would be each time 1/3 of regular manual page, we would already have one good manual by this time.))

There does not needs to be any breaking new feature (tough of course it would be great), but those looking at music rather thru curves and modulation can already use Plugdata – so I would also suggest finished up first what Arch is good at: sequence, midi, composition… and keep those who give this launch not leaving... :harp:

Also I am not sure w/ pricing policy w/ regard to Plugdata, which today release nother pack... I would suggest put price lower - that could make wider userbase (I already bought it, so I really mean it from general standpoint. I am also not happy about it - specially when Pound also fell)...

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:53 pm I would prefer to see V 0.11 now with presets and manual and all the new features and fixes and later see V 1.0.
Just my opinion.
I think presets are already mostly there - just explaining what´s under the hood would be nice.
It literary forcing people to start with Plugdata and M4l or Grid (where is bunch of documentation) and then come back to Architect and user usually will come back only for just midi (notes) stuff, since it does not handle (as far as I know) curves, modulation very well...

U cannot want from people share 4 free their patch and let them write (again 4 free) manual explaining how they did that... we need guys who do videos etc.: like in Bitwig there is Polarity and others, who get people thru basics.. and Colin could slowly step in, it would not hurt each two months write few paragraphs on some plugin.
::
I remember Colin was ok to do some explanation on Thomas Hanzle first ever patch.. so why not do that on Musinum?

Here are four good patches (in case u missed them)
http://sigsaly.xf.cz/architect/

Is there an alternative method to making a mono stream with changing metronomes and durations in the data realm other than using the note priority module for midi? Thanks!

Return to “Loomer”