Hard Poppin Bubba

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. Tried to do a rock tune and kind of succeeded imo. Comments I welcome

https://soundcloud.com/madrigal7/hard-p ... orus-fixed

My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9.5
Mix - 9

Overall - 9

Comments: Reminds me of some of the pop/prog from the mid 70s. Not bad. I enjoyed listening to it.

Nice. This kind of track begs for vocals to complete it.

Thanks for the nice words gentlemen

What's going on with your hihat? It's all over the place... Makes it hard to focus on the rest of the music, at least for me. I really think you need to work on the hihat to get it to sit in the mix where it belongs. It's the first thing that sticks out and it's very distracting.

I'm also not a huge fan of the wash of white noise that comes in mid way through (it's actually the synth, but all I'm hearing is lots of hiss).

Bass is monotonous and plodding (velocity!), organ could probably do with some work on the note lengths/release and there's several points where it's more of a wash of sound than anything else. The instruments all sound programmed, which gives the track a General MIDI feeling, rather than that of a rock band going wild.

So it just didn't click with me, feeling somewhat disjointed in the grand scheme of things. While I definitely think the overall mix could be better, my biggest issues are really at source (static programming being the main issue, but also sound choices). Does that sound harsh? I'm sorry if it does. I just hear a lot of rough edges that suggest quite a bit of work still needs to be done. The basics are there, but I'd call it a mock-up at best - the basics of an idea rather than a finished track.

What's your experience playing guitar/bass/drums etc.? To me it sounds like you are outside your comfort zone, and your initial post also echoes that. I can give you some pointers if you want, but first I'd need to know how you're going about creating the parts and what experience you have with each of the instruments. No point going in over your head or boring you with stuff you already know :)

Return to “Music Cafe”