CPU peaking when using KomPakt

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to set up a multi with Bass, Piano, Organ and Strings (for 'Trains' 'Drops of Jupiter'). It seems that NI KomPakt Piano is a CPU hog and causes nasty digital glitching. I've bumped the sample buffer size to 256 but i still get it ocassionally, even if it is the only instrument in the multi.

Do you have any tips on optimizing the Receptor performance?

Adding RAM will make a big difference, Receptor will accept up 2G Bytes. I’ve tested Kompakt with 768K of RAM and it worked great but this is a case were more is better.
SoftJunkie wrote:I'm trying to set up a multi with Bass, Piano, Organ and Strings (for 'Trains' 'Drops of Jupiter'). It seems that NI KomPakt Piano is a CPU hog and causes nasty digital glitching. I've bumped the sample buffer size to 256 but i still get it ocassionally, even if it is the only instrument in the multi.

Do you have any tips on optimizing the Receptor performance?
Rick
Muse Research

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I've got a related question. I always thought that with DDR, the performance would be better the RAM was a matched set - 2-512MB or 2-1GB. why is this not the recommended setup with Receptor?

You can mix and match but I think it's a good idea to use RAM of the same type and manufacture when possible.
SoftJunkie wrote:Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I've got a related question. I always thought that with DDR, the performance would be better the RAM was a matched set - 2-512MB or 2-1GB. why is this not the recommended setup with Receptor?
Rick
Muse Research

i am referring to the ram size, not the vendor. i thought DDR gains its performance improvement by having two ram modules of the same size (2-512MB parts in separate sockets, for example). then, the data accesses are interleaved among the two sockets and thruput is improved.

kompakt doesnt do DFD ?

Yes :D
topaz wrote:kompakt doesnt do DFD ?
Rick
Muse Research

why does he need more ram then ? cant he use the DFD.

?
MaxReverb wrote:Yes :D

Experience with product is what I'm basing this on; the additional RAM also ends up helping the CPU load. For me I really notice a big overall performance improvement at 768MB of RAM but I would think hard about stuffing a full 2GB into it.

topaz wrote:why does he need more ram then ? cant he use the DFD.

?
MaxReverb wrote:Yes :D
Rick
Muse Research

could you clarify? are you saying that you recommend 2GB or not?

MaxReverb,

just to clarify, are you saying that KomPakt DOES or DOES NOT support DFD when running on Receptor?

SoftJunkie wrote:MaxReverb,

just to clarify, are you saying that KomPakt DOES or DOES NOT support DFD when running on Receptor?
it does, but you can never have enough ram, is the general jist of what Max is saying.

SoftJunkie wrote:MaxReverb,

Kompakt DOES support DFD when running on Receptor. But, even with DFD you still need at least the beginning of each note in RAM. If you use a Multi Instrument, you still need lots of RAM.

DFD allows you to use very long samples that would not fit completely in RAM otherwise, but it still uses RAM.

Dan
Dan Timis
Software Developer
Muse Research, Inc.

here's an update.

i upgraded to 256MB+512MB tonite. there is definitely an improvement. i will most likely bump it up to 2x512MB tomorrow.

in addition, i found that there is a big improvement by disabling KomPakts' DFD.

the combination of the memory upgrade and running exclusively from RAM is very good.

by the way, the KomPakt Fazoili Piano sounds very nice.

finally, while installing the RAM, i took a look at the hard drive. it's a seagate 40GB 7200rpm barracuda ultra ata.

Return to “Muse Research and Development”