Do any prog-rock keyboardists live here?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

Choose an option:

Needs work, but there is light at the end of the tunnel
60%
Abandon all hope ye prog pretender!
No votes
I'm on the fence. Some is good, but it's such a mess..
40%

Total votes: 5

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm working on an extended proggy piece. Sort of Yes-ish and maybe Genesis-ish too. But I'm a bass player.. I've got much of the song sketched out with my muddled attempt at keys. Is there anyone around here who would be willing and able to take that and render good, creative, satisfying keyboard parts (including at least one wicked B3 lead and an extended piano solo)?

There isn't anything in it but the fun of it, but that's something, ain't it? Please let me know if such a critter exists around here, and soon I'll post up a link to a rough draft of the song.

Thank'ye all.

Update: people are lookin' but they aren't talkin, so I've added a poll so you can leave an opinion anonymously. Not that it'd be so bad to speak your minds.. but I do want some opinions and I'm not getting any, so let's try this.
Last edited by feadhel on Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I could give it a go... :-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Hi, its a matter of time but I'd like to hear this song too.

ukm

Hi, thanks for your replies. I'm going to work on it one more time tonight and then I'll post it to my soundclick site. And then I'll post a link here.

I'm willing to make as many versions of it as people want to try it, or to mix and match, or whatever. It's really only for the fun of it and as an exercise in writing prog tunes. I was shooting for an epic at 20 minutes! I have fallen a little short, though.. only got 11:30 and it seems about full, minus only an intro and outro. Probably looking at around 12 minutes when all is said and done.

D'oh.. Mrs. Feadhel has had me hanging curtains..

Sorry but I'm putting this thing on the back burner. I may try again in a week or two, when there are no windows left.. it's in such terrible shape if I can't get into the studio to fix it, it'd just be too embarassing.

..defenestration. That sounds like a band name..

feadhel wrote:D'oh.. Mrs. Feadhel has had me hanging curtains..

Sorry but I'm putting this thing on the back burner. I may try again in a week or two, when there are no windows left.. it's in such terrible shape if I can't get into the studio to fix it, it'd just be too embarassing.

Well, I'm subscribing to this thread. Don't let me down, OK? I want to hear a Yes meets Genesis tune.

#1 hilarious title
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Shane Sanders wrote:
feadhel wrote:D'oh.. Mrs. Feadhel has had me hanging curtains..

Well, I'm subscribing to this thread. Don't let me down, OK? I want to hear a Yes meets Genesis tune.
..if you want to bruford-ize the drums, I'll certainly help if help is required.. That's the point where Yes met Genesis..

DSP

I`d like to participate, too!
Play it loud!!!!

Well, if you'll promise not to laugh, I'll set it up there today. But it's in horrible shape. Parts of it sound cool, but parts of it sound like shite, plain and simple.

I have a writing partner, a guitarist, who has taken on the project. So she may change some parts.

Brufordized drums? YES! I'd take that in a heartbeat.

So let me say what's what with the soon to be downloadable monster:

It's mostly in the key of C, with only short duration modulations.. first one in the first part is the b-f# bit, in G. Then there is the crap "bluesy" part that only has bass and drums, which modulates, obviously, through a few keys back into C. I believe this part will be replaced by my guitarist friend.

I have stripped out most of the vocals, but one part "slow down" remains. My guitarist friend hates this, so it will likely be removed also.

All parts are still "scratch" so you will hear some obvious loops, mistakes, rotten takes, etc. Please be gentle! Now I gotta go make an mp3..

well, if this is going to be something of a collab, I guess having a MIDI file will be the best way of working, with an mp3 for guide.

this will be loadable into all but the poorest of DAWs, as I guess we all use something different. We could then supply you with both MIDI tracks and/or audio, with bar/beat start points so you can put it all together.

Sounds really good fun!

DSP

Ok the link is now in my sig. The song is the one titled "Prog Epic1".

I don't have midi throughout the tune, so I guess to make a midi file on my end I'd have work to do.

What I'd rather do is get an idea of who has an idea for what, and then they tell me what they'd need. For instance, if someone was going to replace the drums, the best thing for him/her would be a version posted sans drums. So if you hear it, get inspired, and need a particular sort of file, you can ask me to make it. With the midi thing you may have to explain what I'd be doing.. I work in Sonar 3.11PE. I have three midi channels running through my SampleTank engine. None of them play throughout, and they are kinda chopped up. I suppose I could meld them.. but even then the first section has no keys. So there are complications, and as a fumble-fingered bass player I got no skillz in midi..

I hope you enjoy hearing this beast. I had to encode it at 96kbps because it's too large a file for Soundclick at a higher resolution. At the very least, some of you may get a laugh out of the first section, being that it is bluegrass.. heh, bluegrass prog!

Since everything went so quiet, I've added a poll so you can give me the lowdown without remorse. But please feel free to give constructive criticism.

I already know there isn't enough riffing for a lot of proggers, and the fact I didn't use any odd meters is kind of a faux pas (but I don't have any odd meter loops.. there's a question, do any odd meter loops exist somewhere?) But this is a work in progress and nothing is forbidden. Parts can be ripped out and replaced at will.

about odd loops: you can always cut them on your own and make them fit to the odd time-signature that way :wink: :D
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

sorry! haven't forgotten about it - just been really busy!

You can put odd sigs underneath stuff to put people off. Yes used to do that - listen to Long Distance Runaround.. apart from the occasional 2/5 bar, it's all 4/4: but bill and steve play chops 5th quaver, giving it that edge.

And riffing ain't everything - Yes again - not really riff merchants. Nor genesis for that matter, other than stuff like 'Happy the Man' which wasn't good enuff to make it onto an album.

Anyway, I'll give it some attention tomorrow!

DSP

Return to “Music Cafe”