Maize Sampler Future..

Official English support for: maizesoft.cn
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Maize Sampler

Hello friends, I really see the future of this software very uncertain .. there is no news from its developer that seems to have stalled, I am still launching plugins with version 2.5.8 but at some point I will have to stop launching plugins to mac, maybe it's time to move to another platform.

BeatMaker_xyz wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:15 am Hello friends, I really see the future of this software very uncertain .. there is no news from its developer that seems to have stalled, I am still launching plugins with version 2.5.8 but at some point I will have to stop launching plugins to mac, maybe it's time to move to another platform.
I was going to post pretty much the same message. I feel that Maize Sampler is now stagnant in its development mainly because of the way macOS Catalina turned out. At some point, there will be a limit on the workarounds we can do to make it work on the latest version of macOS.

Maize Sampler's developer is a macOS user and works at Apple. Ironically, the plugins made with his software works perfectly well on Windows but cannot work "out of the box" on the latest version of macOS.

For me, the closest software to Maize Sampler is Hise Sampler. It's everything Maize Sampler should be, but the added features come at a cost: development time. Exporting plugins on Hise Sampler is a pain.

Plus, you have to pay for a JUCE and Hise license in order to legally sell plugins made with it.

The other options are:

SynthEdit: promising but too buggy during my tests (crashed FL Studio 20 very quickly). Not all modules can be used for macOS exports. macOS support has been so slow that by the time it'll be stable macOS will be on ARM processors.

Flowstone: the latest alpha can export very stable 64-bit VST/VST3 plugins, but it's Windows only. I really like Flowstone, but if I release a Windows-only plugin I'll be harassed by macOS users who'll macOS versions. I'll probably release plugins made with it anyway just because I love it.

Halion: I like Halion a lot and plan to release instruments for it, but the process is time-consuming, especially if your instrument comes with a lot of presets. But it's compatible with macOS Catalina and it has a free player that everyone can download so I'm working on it... I highly doubt it'll be compatible with Apple's future ARM processor though.

Kontakt: Scripting is an art in itself and I'm not good at it. But I'm making progress to a point where I'll be able to release good Kontakt instruments in the coming months. But wow, that's though.

I like your new age instruments, they are very cool and I hope you'll find new software that will be as fun to use as Maize Sampler. If you find it, don't hesitate to share your experience here. :wink:

Yeah I feel the same way about Maize Sampler. I had a thread asking for improvements going here for sometime that has pretty much been ignored it seems:

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=484911&sid=603e09 ... d36b34158a

HISE is nice and has almost everything asked for in that thread, however it requires you buy a $700 dollar Juce license and then buy another license for HISE. ( If you want to sell closed source projects).

If you want to sell Hise plugins, it's a % of each sale that goes toward the dev. You just have to ask him by email to know it. It's a very reasonable share considering the amount of work that went into Hise.

As for the JUCE license, yes, you'll need the 700$ license for closed-source projects, but it's not much money compared to how much you can make in a year selling plugins.

You can also go the Librewave way and open-source your projects while keeping the sound content copyright protected.

Do I need some code knowledge to do something decent in Hise? once I tried a tutorial but I get to a point where nothing matches the version I was using of Hise

BeatMaker_xyz wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:52 am Do I need some code knowledge to do something decent in Hise? once I tried a tutorial but I get to a point where nothing matches the version I was using of Hise
No, not at all. You can do everything visually just like it is in Maize Sampler and Synth Edit. If you want to create more complex plugins, then you can script, but it's not necessary. You can already do a lot with what is already available. The challenge comes when you want to compile the plugin, but once you have a configuration that works, you can stick with it as long as it works.

The tutorials are indeed out of date, the most up to date Hise tutorials are there: https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidHealey1337/videos

SampleScience wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:20 pm
BeatMaker_xyz wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:52 am Do I need some code knowledge to do something decent in Hise? once I tried a tutorial but I get to a point where nothing matches the version I was using of Hise
No, not at all. You can do everything visually just like it is in Maize Sampler and Synth Edit. If you want to create more complex plugins, then you can script, but it's not necessary. You can already do a lot with what is already available. The challenge comes when you want to compile the plugin, but once you have a configuration that works, you can stick with it as long as it works.

The tutorials are indeed out of date, the most up to date Hise tutorials are there: https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidHealey1337/videos
Thanks for all the info SampleScience :tu:

I literally emailed the owner and got a license yesterday and now google recommends this particular post. :dog:

Vibebros2020 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:30 am I literally emailed the owner and got a license yesterday and now google recommends this particular post. :dog:
You can always ask for a refund. I think your chances of getting it are high considering the current situation.

For now the plugins continue to work on Catalina 10.15.7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5v9AS_l1l4

SampleScience wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:43 am You can always ask for a refund. I think your chances of getting it are high considering the current situation.
Yeah I emailed him. It did seem like there would have been a lot of potential in the program as its fairly simple. Checked out your site, you've got some sick virtual instruments! Looks like you were doing great with it while it lasted. When you say exporting is a pain with Hise are you talking more learning curve or just the time the process takes in general?

Vibebros2020 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:01 pm
SampleScience wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:43 am You can always ask for a refund. I think your chances of getting it are high considering the current situation.
Yeah I emailed him. It did seem like there would have been a lot of potential in the program as its fairly simple. Checked out your site, you've got some sick virtual instruments! Looks like you were doing great with it while it lasted. When you say exporting is a pain with Hise are you talking more learning curve or just the time the process takes in general?
It's a learning curve because there's a lot that can go wrong. A simple mistake and the whole compiling will fail. But it's doable, NoiseAsh plugins are all done in Hise and they are very stable: https://www.noiseash.com/

Sampleson too: https://sampleson.com/

So, in all fairness, it's something that can be learned way faster than learning to code whole plugins in C++. It's more a matter of weeks than years, so in the end you save a lot of time.

After analyzing the situation in regard to Kontakt/Halion/other alternatives (Flowstone, SE), Hise Sampler is my best bet and I'm sure it is for most people that used Maize Sampler in the past or planned to use it.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
SampleScience wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:17 am It's a learning curve because there's a lot that can go wrong. A simple mistake and the whole compiling will fail. But it's doable, NoiseAsh plugins are all done in Hise and they are very stable: https://www.noiseash.com/ (https://www.noiseash.com/)

Sampleson too: https://sampleson.com/ (https://sampleson.com/)

So, in all fairness, it's something that can be learned way faster than learning to code whole plugins in C++. It's more a matter of weeks than years, so in the end you save a lot of time.

After analyzing the situation in regard to Kontakt/Halion/other alternatives (Flowstone, SE), Hise Sampler is my best bet and I'm sure it is for most people that used Maize Sampler in the past or planned to use it.
Thanks for the info! I'm looking into Hise as recommended and it does seem to have capabilities that makes it worth it. Looks like you guys were right about Maize, not so much as an auto response yet, going on two days but you never no with the pandemic and all. Things could just be slow.

Maize Sampler dev is either there or not. Sometimes he will answer quickly, other times he's just not available. Usually, I'll get an answer in a week or two.

Interesting thread. I'm working at building a drum plugin (something like Addictive Drums or EZ Drummer) and so far I've been using Halion but as Sample Science said exporting an instrument with a lot of presets is an extremely cumbersome process and that makes the whole experience a real PITA. So now I'm looking for a better alternative. I'll give SynthEdit a try.

And what about UVI Workstation? Anyone tried that? AFAIK 3rd party developers can develop synths/sample-libraries for this platform but I couldn't find much information on this topic.

Return to “Maizesoft”