Note On Velocity and Note Off Velocity MPE sources for DCO-106?

Official support for: cherryaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all and @CherryDan, is there any particular reason why Note On Vel. and Note Off Vel. MPE sources have not been implemented in DCO-106? (and btw the same for Note Off Velocity in the MPE Voltage Modular module?). They are important resources for MPE expressiveness ;-)

lalo wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:17 am Hi all and @CherryDan, is there any particular reason why Note On Vel. and Note Off Vel. MPE sources have not been implemented in DCO-106? (and btw the same for Note Off Velocity in the MPE Voltage Modular module?). They are important resources for MPE expressiveness ;-)
quite agree, but in a way they aren't MPE, or MPE at all.

they are in the (old..) Midi Specs. recently discovered, never thought about it, the note off vel, is midi spec, simple. my keyboard (sl 49 mk ii) does it. it is already per note.
i only discovered it because i am using MPE a lot (roli seabord block + 2 lightpad M's).
or better a VM module of macaulay, let me discover that my novation had a release value.

something that is not the known, and for me also, until testing that module..

quite interesting, also for not MPE, biotek 2 can do it, release velocity.
but in a sense, or better: it is not MPE, MPE is only X Y Z. lift = release velocity.
sensel morph also does release velocity...

but good question! it is for expression very important, not always, but for some presets you make..

EDIT: i already asked for release velocity in the MPE module, curves would also be nice (although a third party solution is in the making, but when?).

WasteLand wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:39 am
quite agree, but in a way they aren't MPE, or MPE at all.

they are in the (old..) Midi Specs. recently discovered, never thought about it, the note off vel, is midi spec, simple.
Well, every MPE sources is actually old MIDI specs (after all they are dear ol' pitch bend, aftertouch, CC74 or every CC assigned to the vertical slide, note on velocity and note off velocity).
The "thing" is that they are used in the multi-channel assignment logic that is the core of MPE. We'll have to wait for the upcoming MIDI 2.0 to get a "real" new stuff (i.e. multiple data linked to single notes) and some improvements on old stuff (higher resolution CC and the likes).
WasteLand wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:39 am EDIT: i already asked for release velocity in the MPE module, curves would also be nice (although a third party solution is in the making, but when?).
Yeah, curves and mapping are essential for true expressive patch design. I hope CherryAudio will add curve mapping and min/max clipping to their own MPE module in Voltage Modular.

lalo wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:24 am
Well, every MPE sources is actually old MIDI specs (after all they are dear ol' pitch bend, aftertouch, CC74 or every CC assigned to the vertical slide, note on velocity and note off velocity).
The "thing" is that they are used in the multi-channel assignment logic that is the core of MPE. We'll have to wait for the upcoming MIDI 2.0 to get a "real" new stuff (i.e. multiple data linked to single notes) and some improvements on old stuff (higher resolution CC and the likes).
yes you're right. MPE is in that way not thát special, it uses 16 midi channels (15 for notes, 1 for global, i believe), that is the difference. (and aftertouch in Midi Spec = ..... Channel Pressure, poly-aftertouch = ... aftertouch... but aftertouch has become the common name..).

the controllers are the special ones, the MPE specs, are indeed nothing "special".

EDIT: X Y Z, for 15 "voices" is MPE, that is what i meant. note on/off is already "polyphonic", because every note you play gives that message. and there velocities. that is why i still made the difference, but you are quite right. also X Y Z. bút play you differently..

the beauty of VM (and vcv rack, o well who doesn't have both! and reaktor and softube modular...) is: you can have 3 MPE controllers with different expression routings... simple template, made it also public.
lalo wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:24 am Yeah, curves and mapping are essential for true expressive patch design. I hope CherryAudio will add curve mapping and min/max clipping to their own MPE module in Voltage Modular.
i agree fully, as i already stated, and i asked for it.

Return to “Cherry Audio”