Tracking Apple Silicon Native Hosts, Plugins, Effects

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.

(New to Mac)

I find it really weird that there's stuff still not working on ARM after what, 5 years?

soulata wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:28 am (New to Mac)

I find it really weird that there's stuff still not working on ARM after what, 5 years?
Well first of all, Rosetta works, so developers have had time to port. The other thing is over the course of four years some products have depreciated.

focusrite Red Plug-in Suite 2.0.3 updated to support apple silicon.

didn't see it posted here.. was updated last month.

dayjob wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:17 pm focusrite Red Plug-in Suite 2.0.3 updated to support apple silicon.

didn't see it posted here.. was updated last month.
Great news. i thought those plugins were dead
AS STUDIOTON / www.asstudioton.com
//Music production, recording studio and home to impeccable and uncompromising sound quality, and consequently an unprecedented listening experience//

chagzuki wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:01 pm Btw, does the Plugin Alliance installation manager crash on exit for anyone else? I just checked and I have the latest version, though it's from march 2022. It crashes on exit always, and I just realised leaves a process running in Mac OS.
Same shit for me. They didn't update it for more than a year already. Considering future transition to Native Access as I think. So I just stopped using it. Now installing PA plugins one by one with individual installers.

Umm, excuse me, but it has only been 3 years, 4 months and 6 days since M1 first released. 🤓

Tronam wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:40 pm

Umm, excuse me, but it has only been 3 years, 4 months and 6 days since M1 first released. 🤓
Oh well then :)

Aside from it not being five years, there is very little that is not working on Arm. Almost nothing in fact. Rosetta runs Intel plugins on Arm, in almost all cases, faster than a native Intel Mac itself does.

But there are a massive number of plugins out there, and some developers have abandoned them, so there will never be an Arm update for them. Others, due to Rosetta, feel little need to rush it. Finally, most plugin developers are very small shops. Often just one guy. Not everyone is NI.

How long do you think Rosetta2 will continue to be supported by Apple?

It’s definitely possible that it will be a permanent feature, since it isn’t an emulation layer like the original Rosetta. It translates the Intel ASM into Apple Silicon ASM and builds an executable on-the-fly the first time it’s run. Some of this is actually built into the processor, so that points to perhaps it being a more permanent functionality.

Also, since Rosetta2 builds an Apple Silicon executable the first time it’s run, that means it must save it somewhere. So that would seem that even if Rosetta2 went away, you would still have the translated executable so long as you haven’t wiped it. So I wonder if it’s possible to locate it and back it up so you have it indefinitely, regardless of what happens with Rosetta2 in the future.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

There is near 100% probability Apple will deprecate Rosetta2 at some point in the future, for reasons that will likely be opaque to the user base.

kidslow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:33 am There is near 100% probability Apple will deprecate Rosetta2 at some point in the future, for reasons that will likely be opaque to the user base.
My guess is exactly 5 years after the last Intel Mac was for sale new, since that's the law in Europe.
That would be starting June 5, 2023. The date the last of the Mac line up was converted to Apple Silicon.

teilo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:33 pm

Aside from it not being five years, there is very little that is not working on Arm. Almost nothing in fact. Rosetta runs Intel plugins on Arm, in almost all cases, faster than a native Intel Mac itself does.

But there are a massive number of plugins out there, and some developers have abandoned them, so there will never be an Arm update for them. Others, due to Rosetta, feel little need to rush it. Finally, most plugin developers are very small shops. Often just one guy. Not everyone is NI.
Well that’s all makes sense with the exception of devs that introduce their new apps in 2023/24 that still depend on Rosetta… WTF?!
Some of them on KVR

There are still devs that introduce theier apps now that still rely on Rosetta 😉

mdx4ever wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:24 am

There are still devs that introduce theier apps now that still rely on Rosetta 😉
Not many though.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”