|Type / Tags|
Discovery Pro is a 12 oscillator Virtual Analog Synthesizer featuring 4 layers, WAV and SoundFont (SF2) support, PADSynth, 2X oversampling / undersampling, built-in arpeggiator, sync, FM, 12 filter types, panning modulation, stereo delay and gate effects, graphic envelope modulation. Imports and exports Nord Lead 2 SysEx data.
- Multi-sized GUI (400p, 600p, 800p) including Retina.
- 32 / 64-bit VST2 / VST3 / Audio Units.
- 128 voice polyphony.
- 128 Patch Memories per bank.
- Parameter Morphing using Modulation Wheel or MIDI velocity.
- 2x oversampling.
- 2x oversampled distortions.
- Nord Lead 2 modeled Unison.
- Nord Lead 2 modeled Zero Delay Feedback filters.
- Dual / Quad octave key split.
- Bank browser (by clicking arrows in display led and bank name).
- More than 5.000 presets in 60 banks (including a percussion one).
- Nord Lead 2 and 2X patch import and export.
- 4 Layers per Patch, each with:
- 2 Oscillators (Sine, Saw, Triangle, PWM, Square, Parabolic, White and Pink Noise) with Ring modulation, Sync and Frequency Modulation.
- 1 Wave Oscillator. Can load mono, stereo WAV and SoundFont 2 (SF2) files using high quality resampling interpolation. PADsynth re-synthesis. User banks are easily added.
- Resonant Filters (LowPass, HighPass, BandPass, BandReject, Formant, 8 taps phaser, X 12/24 dB and Y 12/24 dB are Moog modeled).
- ADSR for Amp & Filter. Amplitude envelope can switch between linear and exponential curves.
- 2 LFOs.
- Modulation Envelope.
- Graphical Modulation Envelope.
- Built-in Chorus, Phaser, Panning Delay and Gate effects.
- Symmetric, Asymmetric and Asymmetric 2 Distortions.
- Poly/Mono/Legato modes.
- MIDI CC control.
Reviewed By tommyzai
December 17, 2012
Discovery Pro by discoDSP is an inspiring virtual analog synth that is capable of creating just about any synth sound, but where it really shines is with leads and bases. The analog oscillators and unison mode really help to create a punchy sound that can come to life with its wet, juicy filters. There are 12 filters, including one that's very Moogish. The mod wheel parameters and morphing capabilities are outstanding. The interface is straightforward and easy to navigate, making preset tweaking a cinch. For those not interested in sound design, there are many great presets easily found in the user-friendly patch browser.
Discovery Pro is one of those rare synths that sound great with or without effects. The raw sound of this synth is really, really good, even naked. I rarely use on-board arpeggiators, but this one is quite special, featuring all kinds of gate effects that help create butt shaking, head jerking grooves. Discovery Pro also has wave-sample import, which allows the user to create endless timbres of sound. The manual covers all the basics, and the customer support is fantastic via KVR threads and timely replies by the developer. This is one of the few VSTis I have that is easy on my CPU and wallet.
All in all, Discovery Pro offers a fat sound for not much processing load or $ — it's a great value! Three thumbs up! Thank you discoDSP for creating Discovery Pro, a fantastic synth for now and for the future!Read more
Reviewed By fisherKing
April 27, 2012
ok. i decided it was time to change things up, and throw some challenges at my workflow.
so i sold a couple of synth plugins (right here at kvraudio), and decided to add some new ones.
discovery pro is one of them.
i had heard it several years ago thru a friend; so i googled it a couple of days ago.
was pleased to see it had recently been updated, and (important for me) was now a 64bit AU for mac (am on lion).
downloaded it yesterday, and have been exploring it since last night.
there's a lot more to it than meets the eye; i need to check out layers, and sample import, for instance, and definitely will need some time for this.
but there's a huge sound library to start with, and there are commercial soundbanks available. that's good…i like having a LOT of presets to play with (and then i will tweak them to where i need them); that's my modus operandi.
the sound…it's pretty good. i made a track entirely from DP (including drum sounds), and am pleased.
but, again, i definitely need 'study' time with the plugin… i kept changing a sounds attack but not really hearing it..until i realized i needed to change it for all layers.
lots of great pads, arpeggiated lines. very synth-sounding, but, hey, it IS a synth. if i want a piano, or real strings, i'll turn to the sampler in Logic.
it definitely has it's own character, sounds very different from my other plugins. that's good, am trying to keep my setup minimal, so everything should be distinctive.
it's all new, again, so i need more time to really get in to it. but it's a great, deep synth; can sound both modern and/or vintage; i want both of those things.
highly recommended. check out the demo, as always, a good place to start...Read more