Carols - For string orchestra

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's December, so I'd like to share some of my compositions relating to the seasons:

https://soundcloud.com/mediumaevum-arti ... -and-hymns

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Less than 20 views/no comments. That's a bit depressing...

I deleted my soundcloud account so I don't know if my view registers without being logged in. I suppose carols aren't everybody's cup of tea but I really like what you did, especially the tranquil piano/strings. Makes me think of a vast snowy landscape. Don't lose heart. Be pleased with your work because you know it is good. :tu:

Good stuff, I enjoyed it, thanks.

I feel like you need a bit more expression here or there, particularly the high line in Carol For Strings.

While there is movement in the dynamics, it sounds like a lot of of it is from the sample library because the attack and sustain portions seem to be following the same trajectories each time - more noticeably in some sections than others. Either that, or you've to multiple lines being affected by the same expression curve, which is making it sound "baked in" when they start playing at the same time.

It's only a minor criticism of course. I like the compositions and particularly like the choir parts - they really impart that Christmas flair.

Tranquil Piano/Strings and A Joyful Carol/Hymn were my favourites.

Erisian wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:17 pm I deleted my soundcloud account so I don't know if my view registers without being logged in.
In general they do - they just show up as a play with no user associated with the play in the statistics. Though my experience is that some plays - for whatever reason - don't count towards the total. People commenting on my tracks whose play never shows up, for example.

They ALL definitely convey a sense of Christmas and they are a pleasant listen - good job there!

Overall, I enjoyed the listen.

There are, however, a few issues I struggled with here (probably because of years spent performing in live ensembles and orchestras)...

Small Points:
Musically they could've done with a bit more variation for me - both in terms of underlying harmonies and texture? maybe a more horizontal approach to composing rather a vertical one might help? Focusing more on writing individual melodic parts rather than the chord progression taking centre stage ?

The string programming just doesn't work that well for me - the rise and fall seems very repetitive with the same sustain style patch used over multiple parts much too frequently.

There are also moments when notes could have easily been held over between two bars for a smoother transition, but you've triggered all the notes again and made the transition a little bit clunky.

For me I would've wanted a lot more use of ongoing key switches to tweak the timbres from phrase to phrase + more use of velocity editing and continuous controllers to add a constantly flowing dynamic rise and fall through individual notes.

Possibly even the use of actual LEGATO articulations where the notes are deliberately slightly overlapped for smoother transitioning?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Thank you everyone, for your critique. I will most definitely make use of these ideas in my future works.

I just now realised my legato strings also have vibrato and speed as midi-CC, not only expression and dynamics, so that might be something to adjust to enhance realism.

Professional, good work. Though the second a bit fuzzy in quality, probably needs fancy dynamics of some kind.

Very Christmassy but I think the tunes could be more memorable -they are OK but could be stronger for me.
Just an old bloke who likes listening to a wide range of music. I also fart quite a lot!

Paladin on a Horse wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:27 pm Very Christmassy but I think the tunes could be more memorable -they are OK but could be stronger for me.
Thank you for your opinion.

Here's my take on memorable tunes:

Any more memorable, and they get boring because they are too simple.

What is a memorable melody anyway? Isn't that a subjective opinion based on what you've already heard a thousand times before?

I mean, some tunes are only memorable because they have been played/sung for so many years and everybody know them already. I bet they were not that memorable when people listened to them the very first time.

Do anyone agree/disagree with the above?

mediumaevum wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:10 pm
Paladin on a Horse wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:27 pm Very Christmassy but I think the tunes could be more memorable -they are OK but could be stronger for me.
Thank you for your opinion.

Here's my take on memorable tunes:

Any more memorable, and they get boring because they are too simple.

What is a memorable melody anyway? Isn't that a subjective opinion based on what you've already heard a thousand times before?

I mean, some tunes are only memorable because they have been played/sung for so many years and everybody know them already. I bet they were not that memorable when people listened to them the very first time.

Do anyone agree/disagree with the above?
Some of the best tunes ever are very simple so do not dismiss simple tunes.

It is always subjective and always will be.

If a tune has been played or sung for many years it is because it was memorable in the first place and people remembered it and loved it. Of course a tune can be memorable after one listen -- if you remember it later that day or it just sticks in your head. I listened to all your pieces twice and I quite liked them but none of the tunes stuck for me, so for me they were not memorable.
Just an old bloke who likes listening to a wide range of music. I also fart quite a lot!

An emotional piece. Would be great with video, a camera tracking through a snowy village.

Return to “Music Cafe”