A couple of problems/questions about Shreddage 3 Jupiter

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been playing around with Shreddage Jupiter in Reaper and Kontakt and Shreddage should be up to date and most of the time it sounds great but some times it sounds horrible or does unexpected stuff with the fretting.

I will start with the fretting issue.
My current issue is that I want to do a root+octave style power chord.
This would be E3+E4 in this case so I put down an E3 in the midi piano roll and when I play the single note it will be played on the high A string 7th fret which I where I want it, great!
The moment I add the E4 the problems start.
When I do that the engine decides to play it on the low A and low E string, at the end of the fret board.
This gets me a very undesirable tone and sounds awful.
I've tried to mess with the force string option but no matter what I choose it keeps going to the low A and low E.
I've tried different picking modes, fretting modes, hand positions, hand sizes, min and max preferred frets but nothing gets the notes to play in the place I want them.
When I remove the E4 from the piano roll and only play the E3 it works flawless any time.
I have no clue how to get Shreddage to behave as I want it to, does anyone have an idea?

The second issue is that when palm muting lets say G# of A# on the low E string the bass part of the tone gets VERY loud and to peaking levels even and I think Ihave messed with every slider and value I could find but it keeps occurring and can't find what causes the low end to blow up so to speak.

Next thing is that picking interval between notes in fast passages, thrash metal style aren't always spaced nicely. The interval between each played note is inconsistent which makes it sound of out time.
I suspect this is due to the stroke offsets parameters not being set right.
Can you calculate how much it should be or anything like that or is it just a matter of fudging about until you get it right?

The last thing is with the release sounds when Shreddage is done playing a note/chord.
Sometimes there seem to be awful harmonic overtones or something like that when a note is released and sometimes a when a note is done, I've again messed with every slider and value I could find but it never seems to get rid of it.
This is especially prevalent in Shreddage Rogue for me and the reason I also bought Jupiter in which its far less of a problem.
In some projects when a sustained note is done playing and the next one has started there will be an audible thump/dead note kind of sounds that plays during the next sustained note, I also couldn't figure that one out.
I've even tried things like disabling all the release noise TACT options, dialing the release options to 0ms and stuff like that.

I love the software and it works great for the most part.
I hope someone is able to help me out with my issues.

Regarding octaves, yeah, you're right. It's really extremely hard to make it work.

The only way I managed to get the expected guitarist style octaves is by bringing Poly Input Latency all the way down to 0, and forcing hand position to the fret you want the octave to start on. Then it works, but you need to shift the hand position parameter as you play different octaves, so it's not exactly fast to use...
FlameFlowe wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:47 amNext thing is that picking interval between notes in fast passages, thrash metal style aren't always spaced nicely. The interval between each played note is inconsistent which makes it sound of out time.
I suspect this is due to the stroke offsets parameters not being set right.
Can you calculate how much it should be or anything like that or is it just a matter of fudging about until you get it right?
It's about setting it up to taste, yeah. You have global offset on the Main page that might also help. You can also automate these controls.
FlameFlowe wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:47 amThe last thing is with the release sounds when Shreddage is done playing a note/chord.
Sometimes there seem to be awful harmonic overtones or something like that when a note is released and sometimes a when a note is done, I've again messed with every slider and value I could find but it never seems to get rid of it.
On Advanced page, you can specify time windows during which pitched/unpitched noises should occur. You can also completely remove them (but that would be kinda wrong) or adjust their volume on the TACT tab, last subpage (the three paginator dots in top right). Also check if Random Res is enabled or not.

Regarding the spacing/intervals - I suggest playing with the down / upstroke offset on the advanced page. I'm sure you can get the right values there.

Regarding octaves/fretting - we're looking into this now for an update.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Sorry for the late reply, we all know how it goes haha.
I've checked my settings and poly latency and strum on poly input are but off already, tried again with the forced hand and forced string options but I cannot seem to get it to work as I require, seems like waiting for an update might be my only option since it is a recognized issue.

Another thing I noticed but can't seem to correct is the following.
If you listen to https://soundcloud.com/user-184900436/g ... ZKFVMsH5vg the first halve sounds alright and then it goes in to a gallop from F, F#, G and then does some lick all on the E string.
I've got it all programmed in but once it goes to F# the harshness/distortion gets kind of too much to deal with.
It also doesn't really matter what settings I dial in or what amp vst I use.
On the waveform you can also see that it gets progressively louder and louder as it goes through the riff.
You also hear it break up more and more and generate more and more noise.
I've had this on another track to where is was A# G# G F on a gallop down where the some thing happens and it gets incredibly loud/distorted and sounds just off compared to the rest.

Any suggestions on what I could have messed to get this to misbehave?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Were you intending to switch to powerchord mutes?

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Yes, I fully intended those notes to be palm mutes powerchords.
I did designate them as muted powerchords with the keyswitch I assigned to it and manually did a down, down, up picking pattern to get a gallop but swapping it to alternate picking did nothing.
I've also tried different presets but it had the same problem.

I'll get the newest updates for Reaper and double check my Kontakt player updates to.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. What you are hearing sounds correct to me. Different frets/pitches are different in tone because of the pressure on the string and the absolute pitch, which will of course have a different response in the amp/distortion...

So apparently I missed an update/patch somewhere, double checked all my software, had a very minor Reaper update and a very minor update for Jupiter and now the last issue is resolved.

As that riff went up in pitch so did the distortion level/noise and sounded horrible, also the levels went up during the riff where it should have stayed the same volume so something was up but it's good now.

Anyway, all the problems have either been answered or resolved so thanks you both for taking the time to help me out.
I think this topic can me locked up.

I am having a similar issue. Even if I'm playing just one note it adds two other strings being played on other frets. If I'm trying to play a repeated thrash note it sounds terrible because it's adding strings that I'm not actually playing. This is happening on shreddage legacy, Jupiter, serpent, Hydra, etc.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”