Suggestions/Ideas for Andy's Next Plugin. (was Folder Structure thread)

Official support for: hgsounds.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Changed the title of this thread as people were beginning to make suggestions for Andy's next project.
The original thread was "Folder structure for Homegrown Sounds Kontakt Instruments"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have nearly all of Andy’s instruments.

I have some folders as Group Buys (Serenety and Circular for Kontakt) and other multiple instruments (Tanagra – Darmok – Shaka and Multiverse) or individual instruments (Grey Matter).

Would like to know how Andy and others have their folders and files organized.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OT: What is the difference between Serenity GB Level 3 and Serenity GB Level 4?

Level 4 was 300 wavetables made from Digitone single samples and added to all previous instruments.

In terms of folder structure, I always assume that people will make a HGS folder and then extract products to it so that they are subfolders. You can add that parent folder to one of the memory stores if you want to make it easier to quickly get to the root.

Just to add my folder structure is like that but it’s more complex as I have all my ‘working’ development sub folders too as well as ‘release’ folders.

Yes, I have a HomeGrown Instruments folder.
Are you saying best to have a sub-folder for each instrument?
How about a Midi sub-folder?

Instruments folders (partial list)
AirTones v2
Cassetto
Circular
Darmok
Grey Matter
Kinetic
Multiverse Infekted
Serenety
Shaka
Tanagra

HomeGrown Midi
ARP Stream
Divider
Formula
Midi Looper
Midi Sequencers
Did I miss any?

Currently my sub-folders are either Group Buys (Serenety and Circular for Kontakt) or multiple instruments (Tanagra – Darmok – Shaka and Multiverse) or individual instruments (Grey Matter). It works but not happy with this arrangement. But then it may be best to group certain instruments in a sub-folder?

Well I think you should organise it however you want, but it’s important to keep the releases in separate folders so they have distinct data folders. The important folder relationship is the data, instruments and samples folders in each release which must be kept intact for the instruments to find the settings, presets and samples as they uses relative paths. So above that folder you can organise however you want :)

My "Purchased Downloads" has 35 items.
Best to have 35 sub-folders?

I have 17 sub-folders. Apparently I combined some instruments like the Multiverse (4 folders) and Kosmology (8 folders) instruments. I kept the Data, Instrument and Samples folders intact.

So I suppose I have organized the instruments in a proper manner.
Thanks for your input.

I will have one more OT comment to make shortly.

Another OT: Andy, Would be great if there was a chart that included all the instruments and provided the following info: Price, minimum Kontakt version, wavetable? Granular, Instrument version number, arp? chords, good for drone, rhythmic, ambient, midi fx, midi out?, DnD?, amount of presets, which presets can be shared with other instruments., x-y pads, samples, micro tuning. Add meaningful info so one can compare the various instruments.

This will help people to be able to choose the instrument that best suites them. It is known in marketing that giving people information helps sell the product. As for the ones that already own the instruments this will help them choose the instrument that best suits for a certain task.

My 2¢!

Yeah, marketing isn’t something my brain is wired for, I just make stuff… HGS isn’t really sustainable as an income, and it’s got a lot worse since the heart attack. I’ve sold 8 MIDI Mods which took a week to make, and it also takes profit from the Group Buy work I have to do because it boosts it. It’s not a very sensible business model! I’ll be really glad to get through it.

Right now I’m thinking I need to change course, and considering starting back on the JUCE path and making MIDI VST instruments, although I don’t have a modern MAC so it will likely be PC only for starters.

There isn’t any interest in the group buy sadly, I kind of thought it would be the case, but I’m stuck in limbo with it until it’s done.

But back to your point, I have many skills in terms of building stuff, programming, servers etc… but there are things I’m not so good at and I’d class your suggestion in that category. I don’t really make music anymore especially with a computer because it’s basically my work environment, and somebody like yourself that uses the instruments has a far better idea of their particular uses etc… for years I was hoping to team up with someone good at marketing/videos etc… but it never happened and so I have to make the best of the brain I’ve been dealt and focus on the things it’s good at 😀

Juce VST! :tu:

Yeah, I think it’s hard to deny it’s the way forward. Last time I got bogged down on the multi-platform side of it, so this time I think sticking with PC only for a while will get my foot in the door. Fractionate would probably make a good first project. The only real worry for me is that Kontakt is very rapid development in comparison and so it’s all about wether it’s economically viable. My sales power is very low currently. At the end of the day unfortunately that equation really dictates what I do in order to pay bills and debts.

Juce produces multi-touch capable VST's.
I would love to see instruments with multiple x-y pads.

Will you be asking to suggestions?

I definitely will, but initially I’d need to get a working product in reasonable time frame. I’m always open to ideas and feedback which is why I liked doing the group buys initially.

VSTs would great for the midi stuff.

As I said in the email I sent you earlier, another possible avenue (though it is Java based) would be Cherry Audio's Voltage Modular platform. Obviously that is more niche than general VSTs.

I keep thinking I would love to see your creations in IOS iPad touch controller form! But, have no idea if that would even make sense for you and I'm sure it a whole other can of worms to open. Well, I'm not sure cause I know nothing about it :)

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”