Is talent born or created with hard work and practice

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So taking into consideration some people will have better athletic Ness they could be faster taller stronger , etc
Is talent really a thing born inside us
I don't think it is
I think we all have traits advantages disadvantages etc , but talent is honed developed over time bit by bit , and a good mindset is needed to grow
Then you see someon amazing on stage and your like wow he/she is talented but you didn't see the days weeks months years of graft /hard work to get there i believe talent is made not born
I think some of us with normal lives jobs like to tell ourselves that talent is a magical thing
Just to make ourselves feel better
Wha do you think ?
Last edited by matrixo9 on Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

When I hear some of the shite that passes for music nowadays, even from supposedly big names, I suspect talent isn't real. :hihi:

I believe some folks can accomplish stuff with much less effort than others, I don't know if I would call that talent.

usually "talent" is the combination in some parts thereof of both natural aptitude AND practice/work. it's not "magic", but neither is every level of ability achievable by everybody. Years ago, I had to play and practice constantly to achieve the level of guitar playing I had, which did not suck, but also wasn't going to be keeping Steve Vai awake at night. whereas there are players who have gotten much farther with much less effort. And then you have things like an individual's artistic expression and natural charisma, which are equally amorphous in terms of not being able to quantify, but are still real things. (And like "talent" are likely a combination of innate ability with experience/work) you can also be naturally gifted, and piss all that away by being lazy. two sides of a coin.

So is talent then in the eye of the beholder
? Or just in the mindset in some people eyes in the UK oasis are one the best bands ever , as are the Beatles but they are nowhere near the greatest talented musicians , how does talent equate to popularity ( I'm using big words for a street boy 😂😂
Last edited by matrixo9 on Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrixo9 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:46 am So is talent then in the eye of the beholder
? Or just in the mindset in some people eyes in the UK oasis are the best band ever , as are the Beatles but they are nowhere near the greatest talented musicians , how does talent equate to popularity ( I'm using big words for a street boy 😂😂
well, the thing that gets called "musicianship" which many think of as a level of speed and precision in one's finger wiggling, is far from the only measure of talent. In particular your two examples of oasis and the Beatles (McCartney is no slouch of a muso BTW) would have to take into account the songwriting... Songwriting and performance are way more important in the grand scheme of things (Most of the time) than being a virtuoso on your instrument.

pekbro wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:24 amI believe some folks can accomplish stuff with much less effort than others, I don't know if I would call that talent.
Then what would you call it? My bandmate is a much more talented musician that I will ever be, yet he doesn't put any more effort into it than I do. I'm too uncoordinated to ever be able to be a good musician, it wouldn't matter how much time and effort I put in. I'm sure if I did the 10,000 hours thing I could become a competent musician but I'd never actually be good, because good requires talent I simply don't possess.

I'm probably a better singer than he is, though, and my singing ability is mostly innate talent because it's not something I have ever worked at. It's just something I can do because I have a "good voice" (whatever that means).

So yes, talent is rooted in genetic advantage. It is not something you can create out of thin air, you have to be born with the correct genetic advantages and then you have to put in the hard work to fully realise that talent.

Sport is an excellent place to look for talent. Think of the top tennis players - those people have talent and it wouldn't matter how many hours of practice someone else put into being the best tennis player they can be, it's the players with talent who will rise to the top. I'm sure that there are players with no talent who have worked hard enough to earn a living on the circuit, but they'll never crack the Top 20.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I would prefer to call it aptitude, not especially fond of the word talent myself. :shrug:

It starts with aptitude but it is nurtured into talent. My singing is a reasonable case in point. I have an aptitude for singing, at least compared to the average person, but I lack the motivation to develop it, so I will never be a talented singer.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I suppose it depends what you think talent means. Just for the hell of it, I'll add that most dictionaries seem to go with natural ability, generally seems to mean natural aptitude even without any teaching. So yes, I would say I think it exists. For example, my son was beatboxing at 2, I never did it, no one I know does it. Even if he heard it and realised it came from a person it would have been minimal exposure in passing. My daughter has near perfect pitch. I don't. She didn't practice it. I've been barefoot waterskiing since I was 6. No one showed me how. I'd seen it but I just knew how to do it. This goes on and on and on. I'm sure everyone has their examples. Sadly it rarely seems to come in the form you want. Not for me anyway.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

For me personality is shaped by Nature(DNA)-40%,Nurture(Environment)-40%, Willpower-20%.A person's emotional response to life situations is formed by age 8(EQ).these will determine if he is successful in a particular field. will be interesting to read about Polgar sisters - world women chess champions and accidental savant Jason Padgett,for understanding effect of heredity and training.
Last edited by k2006 on Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

matrixo9 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:46 am i believe talent is made not born
Ah, those pesky semantics. For me talent is implicitly prefixed by 'natural born'. Hard work may yield reasonable results, but you cannot grow any talent.
matrixo9 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:46 am in the UK oasis are the best band ever , as are the Beatles
If you're gonna pick one "best band ever", then pick one. Not two.
matrixo9 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:46 am how does talent equate to popularity
It does not I'm afraid. They may have the "X" factor...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Talent without hard work on skills will only get you so far. You can have an ability to do something more naturally than someone else, but if you simply rely on that ability you probably won’t improve to as high a level, if that person with less natural ability does the work. Otoh, people who do have that natural ability will become the best. So talent must exist - how else can we explain the brilliance of Messi, Einstein, Beethoven, Shakespeare, Dostoevsky or Bradman?

Why it exists is a different matter though. Was Bradman’s talent honed by hitting a golf ball against the wall with a stump, or was it created because he did that? Was Mozart brilliant because he was exposed to music and playing from such a young age, or did he start young because he was so obviously good at it?

This is a bit dated but it’s a good starting point for some of the research, and the 10,000 hour theory
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/coll ... -hard-work

Double Tap wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:04 am Talent without hard work on skills will only get you so far. You can have an ability to do something more naturally than someone else, but if you simply rely on that ability you probably won’t improve to as high a level, if that person with less natural ability does the work. Otoh, people who do have that natural ability will become the best. So talent must exist - how else can we explain the brilliance of Messi, Einstein, Beethoven, Shakespeare, Dostoevsky or Bradman?

Why it exists is a different matter though. Was Bradman’s talent honed by hitting a golf ball against the wall with a stump, or was it created because he did that? Was Mozart brilliant because he was exposed to music and playing from such a young age, or did he start young because he was so obviously good at it?

This is a bit dated but it’s a good starting point for some of the research, and the 10,000 hour theory
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/coll ... -hard-work

Beethoven was pushed by his dad very hard
Probably too hard or he wouldn't have been that player
This is what I think , Messi may have the right physique or mindset , Beethoven may have had success driven in him he may have good long fingers and arms , the definition of talent for me is not a born thing , cercumstances and surroundings play a part , like you say Messi ok I'll say Ronaldo , for me the best player ever , there are players who have the same skills as him in the park on a Saturday morning same ball control , passing , dribbling ability , what sets him apart from them I'll tell you , ( mentality ) which must have been learned by people encouraging him to be the best , my son will never be Ronaldo , but in less than three years he has become as good and better than some kids playing since they were 6 , he doesn't have natural talent he was over weight and couldn't do a kick up and now he is playing with kids dropped by millwall and Charlton If he keeps it up who knows what can happen , it wasn't natural born , same as it wasn't in any of these guys they just have done it so long it's second nature to them , what can be passed on is a strong mentally , I don't have the strongest and am somewhat of a failure and I don't want that for my kids to be the dad my dad wasn't so I push them ( not too hard trust me ) encourage them to be the best they can be , probably not Messi or Beethoven but they don't have to be

I think only people that have somewhat never made it or got there ( or work in so called normal jobs )think talent is a magical mystical thing , it's a fable we tell ourselves to make ourselves feel better , that we didn't and as strong as they sounds I think it's realistic , you don't see these singers , pianists putting in years of being shit before there amazing and yes they was as shit as anyone , some just enjoy it take to it more they have a love and they don't give up so they get proper proper good , that is what happens , it's All about mentality which can overcome talent in my opinion. Peace and love

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”