Zebra 3 and Zebra Legacy

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Dark Zebra Zebra

Urs wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:45 pm
aer72 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:40 pm Did I hear "Berlin Modular"? :wink:
Yeah, I guess the concept for a synth called exactly that isn't going to happen this decade, but another synth that fits the product line is certainly a possibility.
I wouldn't mind ACE getting a much deserved update later on down the road. Too many people think it's just a light version of Bazille and don't realize or appreciate what it actually is. Semimodular VAs don't get enough love.

I learned synthesis on a modular, so I'm really comfortable with cabling, but I do enjoy Zebra's efficient workflow very much. I feel like I can do anything, and quickly.

Patch cables scared me at first, but now they are my preferred workflow. No fishing through menus and tabs. Just run the output to the input. Boom. Done.

What kind of demo restriction is planned for Zebra 3? Would it be like the concept discussed in this thread?

viewtopic.php?t=394972

The stuff in that thread never worked out, I can't even remember what the actual idea was. I guess it turned out to be not such a great idea after all.

We do have a concept for a better copy protection, but I can not currently see if and when that's gonna happen, and if it has influence on the demo restriction at all.

An ACE Pro would be cool. Or another modular down the road. Personally though, I'd love to see some U-he VCV Rack modules. Hardware clones of the U-he Eurorack modules are the first obvious candidates but then also filters, osc's (ACE oscs, Bazille oscs), envs, and VCAs. I'm not sure how much of a money-maker they'd be (probably a small fraction on what U-he can make on a standalone synth), but for the full modular experience, that still seems like a lot more low-effort than a new modular synth. So hopefully the effort would be an equally small fraction against development of a new standalone synth, which could bend the cost/effort curve to make it worthwhile.

I've just gone through the effort of basically removing a bunch of VCV stuff from my library to shrink the size and focus on the core modules I use the most. But it's great that it's such a playground.

Z3 -> Diva 2 -> Ace 2 would be the dream.

Z3 -> Bazille 2 eh ^^
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Hehehe, if anything, we'd nicely (!) improve ACE and Bazille as 1.x and maybe add another synth that follows the West Coast style of synthesis.

Urs wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:39 pm and maybe add another synth that follows the West Coast style of synthesis.
:love: :love: :love:   :hyper:

Urs wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:39 pm Hehehe, if anything, we'd nicely (!) improve ACE and Bazille as 1.x and maybe add another synth that follows the West Coast style of synthesis.
I got lost in VCV Rack for a good long while a few years ago but eventually had to pry myself away from it because I didn't see much of a preset market for it. I would love a modern Eurorack-style modular system from u-he with the cutting edge signal processing wizardry that's going on with a lot of these crazy modules these days.

Urs, are there any plans to revamp the comb filter of Zebra 2?

It's a really wonderful module capable to produce so much stuff.

I'd be super happy with more modes but what would be really amazing is having a way to create new modes. Maybe with something like an umh script or some visual tool.

We're working on improved versions of those, which keep the fundamental frequency constant no matter the damping or whatever other settings.

Urs, has the upcoming Z3 additive rendering engine any chance to be someday implemented in other synths like say erm Bazille ?
I can’t get over the premises of that engine, the demo vids sound beyond incredible and I want it in every « digital inspired » u-he synths :hihi:
Am I being greedy ? :lol:
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

It isn't even close to final in Zebra yet, it might not make it into the initial Zebralette3 release... we're currently focussing on purely curve-based wavetable-like synthesis in order to finish something we can finally publish...

Return to “u-he”