EXT64

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

you're right. didn't mean for it to sound so negative. :oops:

XT-S1, not to be confused with XTS1

JamminFool wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:00 pm you're right. didn't mean for it to sound so negative. :oops:
:hug:
Hopefully it will go from bread to a fine cake!
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

XT-S1 beta download is now available from here:
https://www.xtsware.com/?page_id=50

ZonderP wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:03 pm XT-S1 beta download is now available from here:
https://www.xtsware.com/?page_id=50
Ooh thanks for the heads up :-)
I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

What a great little synth made in just a 412 kilobyte download!

Its basic, sure. The GUI is nothing to write home about - simple. But this little synth sounds good. I especially like the piano and had fun tweaking it. This was a trademark of Jorgen in the old days - great things in tiny packages. He still has it. :tu:

dellboy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:42 pm What a great little synth made in just a 412 kilobyte download!

Its basic, sure. The GUI is nothing to write home about - simple. But this little synth sounds good. I especially like the piano and had fun tweaking it. This was a trademark of Jorgen in the old days - great things in tiny packages. He still has it. :tu:
I totally agree with everything said!

I'm missing aftertouch though (or would it be there and I just didn't find it?)

ZonderP wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:14 pm
I'm missing aftertouch though (or would it be there and I just didn't find it?)
If aftertouch is there it well hidden. So i guess the answer to that, is no. I am not sure yet where "envelope amount" is. I keep tweaking various knobs and get something from "blend", but I don't think that is it. Ah! clicking on envelope brings up some more knobs. I will play with those. :)

dellboy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:42 pm great things in tiny packages
yeah, just love the design language of xt!

I'm well behind the curve, so this may have been answered already.

Can I run SurgeXT in Ext64? Works fine in Cakewalk, but I need to learn how to use that.
The file appears to be a *.vst3 type, which I am not familiar with.
Im assuming that it doesn't run in Ext 1.4 as it's 64-bit and doesn't show as a dll

EXT64 cannot deal with VST3, but handles plugins in CLAP format.
Thus - since surgeXT also comes as a CLAP plugin - you should be able to run SurgeXT in EXT64.

ZonderP wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:58 pm EXT64 cannot deal with VST3, but handles plugins in CLAP format.
Thus - since surgeXT also comes as a CLAP plugin - you should be able to run SurgeXT in EXT64.
Aha! Yes, I didn't install the clap version. Will do that later.
Many thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated:-)

I have been running SurgeXT successfully in EXT64

seismic1 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:05 pm I have been running SurgeXT successfully in EXT64
Hi seismic1

As a longtime user and arguably the person with the most posted finished and complex works done with energyXT I'd be interested in your thoughts on EXT64. Are you encountering any showstopping bugs, are you happy with it's stability?

If people aren't contacting Jorgen directly via email there is certainly not much solid information about EXT64 in this forum section to go by... I think even Jorgen might find stuff posted here to be useful as well if people don't also directly email. We need good power users who know eXT inside and out, I'm not one of those unfortunately and being in my Linux partition 98.7% of the time I don't get much EXT64 testing time nor do I do much MIDI work other than occasional Drum tracks..

I'd love to hear a lot more about how things are going with EXT64!

AVLinux wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:17 pm
seismic1 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:05 pm I have been running SurgeXT successfully in EXT64
Hi seismic1

As a longtime user and arguably the person with the most posted finished and complex works done with energyXT I'd be interested in your thoughts on EXT64. Are you encountering any showstopping bugs, are you happy with it's stability?

If people aren't contacting Jorgen directly via email there is certainly not much solid information about EXT64 in this forum section to go by... I think even Jorgen might find stuff posted here to be useful as well if people don't also directly email. We need good power users who know eXT inside and out, I'm not one of those unfortunately and being in my Linux partition 98.7% of the time I don't get much EXT64 testing time nor do I do much MIDI work other than occasional Drum tracks..

I'd love to hear a lot more about how things are going with EXT64!
I started using my computer for "making music" in 2009. In those days I has an Philips Ikon PC with an AMD Athlon 3200+ processor running a 32-bit copy of Windows XP. I think the computer had 1.5Gb RAM, and disc access was via IDE. I was using EnergyXT2 32-bit in those days, so my biggest limitation was memory (1Gb address space), so I was quite restricted regarding the number of VSTs I could use in a single project. My VSTs of choice in those days were usually freeware although I had a few paid instruments. As my projects became more ambitious, I found my computer crashing more frequently, up to maybe a couple of times per month, and even when it wasn't crashing, I experience a lot of heavy paging activity. It that time I wasn't using more than 10VSTs in a project.

In 2011, my hard drive started giving me errors, so I decided to buy a new PC. I bought a cheap Advent quad Core-I5 with expansion capabilities and SATA. I upgraded the hard disks and increased the memory to 6Gb. It was running 64-bit Windows 7, but I was still running EnergyXT2 32-bit, so I was still subject to the 1Gb address space limitation, but the OS was a lot more stable, even though I was using more commercial (paid) VSTS. I was probably experiencing crashes once every 3-6 months, but I still had to be careful running large projects. I think my largest project up to this point contained 14 VSTs, but the system was really struggling with this.

At the end of 2019, I bought a new machine 8-core i7-9700 with 16Gb RAM, SSD and HDD storage, 64-bit Windows 10, but still using EnergyXT2 32-bit. The old projects were still subject to the same memory restrictions, so I decided to move to a new 64-bit DAW (MuLAB). I was finally able to create large projects using 20+ VSTs (I didn't really need any more). I can't recall any system or application crashes whilst using MuLAB.

Last year EXT64 arrived, and I was very happy, because I really liked the workflow in EnergyXT2.
I experienced quite a lot of crashes in EXT64 when using the alpha releases, particularly alpha2-alpha5. I get the feeling that these were related to the audio device driver, but I can't say definitively whether this was the case. Interestingly, I still seemed to be limited in the number of VSTs I could use in a project, although I haven't been very scientific in chasing this down.
Stability seemed to improve with alpha6, and the 4 betas I have been using haven't been a major problem for me. I have been slowly increasing the number of VSTs in my projects, although most of the music I'm making these days doesn't require more than 10 or so. Neither MuLAB nor EXT64 support VST3, so I am quite limited in my choice of plugins, although EXT64 has recently added CLAP support, which I hoped would be useful, but the pace of CLAP adoption seems to have slowed this year.

I have reported one problem to Jorgen via xtsware.com, and that was fixed within a week, so he is certainly listening.

Including my first completed MuLAB project in October 2021, here are some stats for projects completed here at the Seismic Studio.

MuLAB - 5
EnergyXT2 - 3
EXT64 - 6

My first complete EXT64 project dates from July 2022. All of my projects since mid-2014 have been MIDI only, via piano-rolls.

I hope these scribblings make some kind of sense.

Return to “energyXT”