Pigments CPU

Official support for: arturia.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a 2018 Mac Mini with maximum CPU specs and 32GB of RAM. However, I find that the CPU struggles at times, is there any way around this?

Yes, a couple of things: turn down polyphony. Turn down amp envelope release time. Change the filter to the Multi-filter, not an emulation. We are very careful about CPU when we make the presets for Pigments, but you do need a fairly modern CPU to get the most out of it. :)

I have several synths, including free ones. Pigments is the only one that freezes Cubase 12 on Windows 11. Admittedly, my laptop is a mere Ryzen 5 w. 16GB RAM, but still.

I set my samples to 1024 in the Presonus driver. For some reason, with my Presonus Studio24c and its driver, if I set it to 2048, I get snaps, crackles and pops. Very odd. With the ASIO4All driver, I can go to 2048 cleanly, so I think the Presonus driver might need a little overhauling.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Thanks for this — it's Pigments' HARMONIC ENGINE that seems to make the biggest CPU hit on my (ashtray mac pro on 12.5) machine, for what it's worth. Wish I could get similar feedback from Khz about the best way to conserve Phaseplant CPU/and or stop the rice krispy snap crackle clicks 'n pops …which I still get even with it's CPU /latency meter at 0
Biome_Digital wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:09 pm Yes, a couple of things: turn down polyphony. Turn down amp envelope release time. Change the filter to the Multi-filter, not an emulation. We are very careful about CPU when we make the presets for Pigments, but you do need a fairly modern CPU to get the most out of it. :)

presumably a wavetable synth?

Yes. It also does granular and sample stuff though. And VA.

This thread was created before version 4 of Pigments though, which, according to what some people reported (I haven't checked myself really) pretty significantly decreased the CPU hit of the synth.

petedako wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:10 pm Thanks for this — it's Pigments' HARMONIC ENGINE that seems to make the biggest CPU hit on my (ashtray mac pro on 12.5) machine, for what it's worth. Wish I could get similar feedback from Khz about the best way to conserve Phaseplant CPU/and or stop the rice krispy snap crackle clicks 'n pops …which I still get even with it's CPU /latency meter at 0
Biome_Digital wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:09 pm Yes, a couple of things: turn down polyphony. Turn down amp envelope release time. Change the filter to the Multi-filter, not an emulation. We are very careful about CPU when we make the presets for Pigments, but you do need a fairly modern CPU to get the most out of it. :)
With the Harmonic engine it's the PARTIALS amount you want to lower to save cpu. Along with the above aforementioned.

chk071 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:04 pm Yes. It also does granular and sample stuff though. And VA.

This thread was created before version 4 of Pigments though, which, according to what some people reported (I haven't checked myself really) pretty significantly decreased the CPU hit of the synth.
The load on the CPU in P4 is lower, but I noticed that everything is situational and ambiguous, depending on the settings in the preset. I haven't figured out where exactly the improvement is yet, more tests are needed on the old machine :ud:
call me hand

chk071 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:04 pm This thread was created before version 4 of Pigments though, which, according to what some people reported (I haven't checked myself really) pretty significantly decreased the CPU hit of the synth.
I've noticed a significant lowering of CPU now in pigments. I've always abandoned it in the past because it wanted to take all my CPU, but now it is becoming a goto synth.

It generally only uses between 9% - 19% on the presets I've favorited, but I do prefer simpler sounding presets in general.
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

Rod Staples wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:04 am
chk071 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:04 pm This thread was created before version 4 of Pigments though, which, according to what some people reported (I haven't checked myself really) pretty significantly decreased the CPU hit of the synth.
I've noticed a significant lowering of CPU now in pigments. I've always abandoned it in the past because it wanted to take all my CPU, but now it is becoming a goto synth.

It generally only uses between 9% - 19% on the presets I've favorited, but I do prefer simpler sounding presets in general.
To be honest, I didn't notice any optimisation on my AMD Ryzen 7.
Maybe this us true only for older intel CPUs?
a set of teeth attached to a rotating chain driven along a guide bar :D

Nah. I also experience lower CPU usage on a 11th gen Intel CPU. Unless you consider that "old". ;)

I am on older Xeon processor and use Pigments okay.

Return to “Arturia”