Architect entering the fifth year of beta

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In plugdata (fancy looking pure data ) we can manipulate lists directly , a real time saver
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Yeah, that's really nice, actually. I'll stick it on the future list.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

NO , stop adding features now :)
Just release it
Eyeball exchanging

Don't worry: suggestions are being added to a big backlog list on a kanbdan board, of which I won't even entertain looking at until post 1.0.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Shouldn’t the title of the thread be edited to
„Architect entering the sixth year of beta“?
I mean, we‘re almost entering the seventh year in a few months…
Maybe we can do a ten year celebration together with Colin where he explains what features will be tested in the 20-year beta post mortem beta.

colin@loomer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:42 pm Yeah, that's really nice, actually. I'll stick it on the future list.
I think Arch has generally massive gap in reading, adjusting, monitoring signals and values...
But even bigger in saving and loading (text define type of module) into/ from txt file and then storing/ loading to/ from curves from Array - which again could be set that that each envelope is stored into created Array...
If one wants to do Bspline/ Bezier curve w/ 6 parts in cubic in 4 voices for 16th beats, its: 16x4x 18 - about 1000 values per step -- this is piece of cake in Plugdata, but beyond feasibility in Arch.
Plus these curves are automatically stored and displayed in Arrays - 1 Array per step ...
Then lack Expression, Abstractions is Imo a nother serious drawback... (not to mention u have tons of way to set variable into it)...

How close are the presets, and starter patches Colin?

How close are the presets, and starter patches Colin?
Looking good. They'll be in the next major release.
But even bigger in saving and loading (text define type of module) into/ from txt file and then storing/ loading to/ from curves from Array - which again could be set that that each envelope is stored into created Array...
These are both things that I intend to address in a future revision. Loading to and saving from text files is a slightly more tricky proposition than it may seem on the surface. Because everything else in Architect is strictly real-time, it can't just "wait" whilst the filesystem is accessed, because doing so that would cause overrun glitches in the audio and MIDI generation. But this is a facet of a larger issue - how do we deal with other non real-time events - and this is something I've made plans for, but it'll be a 1.n feature rather than 1.0 (where, hopefully, n isn't too large.)

Soman wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:34 pm Shouldn’t the title of the thread be edited to
„Architect entering the sixth year of beta“?
I mean, we‘re almost entering the seventh year in a few months…
Maybe we can do a ten year celebration together with Colin where he explains what features will be tested in the 20-year beta post mortem beta.
Naah , architect was released 1st januari 2019 , so now we’re actually in the sixth year .
Eyeball exchanging

Banned wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:45 pm
colin@loomer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:42 pm Yeah, that's really nice, actually. I'll stick it on the future list.
I think Arch has generally massive gap in reading, adjusting, monitoring signals and values...
If one wants to do Bspline/ Bezier curve w/ 6 parts in cubic in 4 voices for 16th beats, its: 16x4x 18 - about 1000 values per step -- this is piece of cake in Plugdata, but beyond feasibility in Arch.
Plus these curves are automatically stored and displayed in Arrays - 1 Array per step ...
Then lack Expression, Abstractions is Imo a nother serious drawback... (not to mention u have tons of way to set variable into it)...
I use expressions a lot in plugdata , even expr~ for audio , made some damn fine transfer functions .
Anyway , doesn’t lua allow for expressions in architect ?
With all that being said , Architect will have some serious competition from plugdata .
Eyeball exchanging

Yes, you can do expressions with Lua. Adding a general `[expr]` type module is on my future (i.e., post 1.0) roadmap; this kind of thing - parsing expressions and building compilers to evaluate them - is my bread and butter, so I reckon I'll be able to come up with something pretty good.

Colin , can you give us an estimate date for release , we al want to testdrive the new features and new bugs will be found , that's a given.
So why wait ?
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:51 am
With all that being said , Architect will have some serious competition from plugdata .
I now starting w/ Ofelia and they really have there Lua win pretty similar to Expression - allowing also use variable and looks like just really few other commands - like end - need to be added.
In Lua_pd initalization and adding inlet is more annoying - making one appreciate dedicated Expression when working on stuff where u have big gaps (as is my standard))..
Either way if u can set order of executions (calls/ events) and loop-back w/ float (or store/ load) - that seems u should be able to patch a lot of stuffs.. Architect still have more devices available than Plugdata - which have no finished device, unless u join Pd device group but it looks like dead now... just saying Arch has its place, just needs to fill the hat.
Example: If someone makes notation editor (or nother device) - that cost fortune and have bunch of limitation for electronic music - u will buy Architect despite all its limitation.
Not to mention that one also looks for other ways of patching simply for getting more fluent in it..

As Aspect is slightly nearer completion, it will be the next to drop. I'm hoping to make its (i.e., Aspect's) official announcement at the end of the month, beginning of the next. After that, provided the release goes goes smoothly, I'll be 100% on Architect, rather than splitting my time 50%/50% on the pair of them (and the overhead of context switching that working on two projects entails, which admittedly is horrific.) There is thankfully very little to do both projects, and so I can't see Architect being very much behind Aspect: I could have likely have swapped the release order over and infuriated a different group of expectant users instead!

That doesn't sound good if you hope aspect will be released next month and architect after that .
We've been waiting for years now , the last beta has been ages ago , despite me offering help to iron out bugs for the new release .
In all honousty , I am tired of waiting
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Loomer”