Did FXpansion die?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I somehow missed (or forgot?) that FXpansion was bought by ROLI back in 2016, who then sold BFD to InMusic. I don't see any development on their other plugins though. Their twitter is a sad thing of only an annual sale tweet for the past couple of years.

They still have a company website where they seemingly are selling their remaining products, but it seems like no one is developing them.

What gives? I had DR-008 which I 'upgraded' to Geist. It was excellent. Also had a couple of their FX plugins. I really liked their design style, their products seemed well thought out and sounded pleasing.

But it currently seems like the company / brand is dying on the vine. :(

It seems like the Roli acquisition gutted them but i haven't been following the story. I noticed that when using Tremor in the past clicking on the Maps and Graphs would make it phone home which it no longer does. Or am i mistaken?
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

My impression is that FXpansion is indeed dead. I.e., Roli bought them out and then went bankrupt.
A well-behaved signature.

Not dead. Just sleeping.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Website is still up selling few synths Looks as if Cypher and Strobe, maybe Geist? Or is there anybody home? Had good interactions with them a few times, hope they can/are keeping FXP together somehow.
I don't use it but a few freinds and many commenters here like Geist a lot. Often hear good stuff about Cypher also. My only FXpansion tool is Tremor and i'm quite pleased with it. IMO it's like Microtonics' unweildly older sibling, lot of brilliance but not as easy workflow
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Such a shame about Tremor - nothing comes close really

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:15 am Such a shame about Tremor - nothing comes close really
i liked tremor a lot too. it sounded great and was fast/fun to use. nice sequencer too. i also liked the FXpansion FX plug ins. thought they were fun and good sounding with unique features. all that stuff was immediately abandoned by ROLI. i think they're only keeping cypher and strobe alive. geist will not get an update. it's made end of life.

cypher works and got updated a while back so it's apple silicon native. i guess only things that are MPE will be saved since that's ROLI's thing. but it's a bummer.

there's more drum synth plug ins now though and more coming. Unfiltered Audio is working on one that i'm sure will be deep with drum synthesis models. also, for mac people, drumspillage is getting an update which is great news.

but yeah, it's sad that FXpansion got stripped for parts by ROLI which seems to be having constant financial/funding issues. who even knows wtf is happening there?

Cypher got apple silicon native but no VST3?

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:15 am Such a shame about Tremor - nothing comes close really
It's too bad Angus and Skot didn't sell to someone else more interested in growing the product lineup. I hope they at least got well paid for destroying their company, that they painstakingly built from nothing, and leaving their customer base high and dry.

If a company such as Novation had taken over, we might have had interesting hardware/software drum machines today.

StiX by Xils is the closest I have found, but I preferred Tremor
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

CrystalWizard wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:23 am Website is still up selling few synths Looks as if Cypher and Strobe, maybe Geist? Or is there anybody home? Had good interactions with them a few times, hope they can/are keeping FXP together somehow.
I don't use it but a few freinds and many commenters here like Geist a lot. Often hear good stuff about Cypher also. My only FXpansion tool is Tremor and i'm quite pleased with it. IMO it's like Microtonics' unweildly older sibling, lot of brilliance but not as easy workflow
Yeah it is an odd situation where they seem to be accepting money/orders, but there doesn't really seem to be any form of communication or product updates from them.

Probably cos Cypher and that are still current products taken over by Roli
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Yep, maybe not dead, but MIA for sure.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

VitaminD wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:05 pmIt's too bad Angus and Skot didn't sell to someone else more interested in growing the product lineup.
You're assuming anyone else was interested. They had been working with Roli for a long time before the acquisition - Strobe came for free with my first Seaboard and I could buy Cypher through Roli then, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

no Etch Red rack extension for reason
even if someone else handles formats, they just don't want to exist

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”