Cubase 11 Pro (Win 10) S3 Archtop - Can the strum speed map "invert" be automated

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Windows 10
Cubase 11 Pro
S3 Archtop

In the strumming Tab...
Is it possible to automate the Strum Speed Map "invert"

I have tried recording it as standard automation using Knotakts Read/Write and I have looked at the
Kontakt Automation list but no luck?

Just a question - why do you want these automatable? These controls are intended to be set-and-forget, so you make your selection how you want those 3 CCs to behave (which CC to use and if it should behave inverse propotionately or not) and be merry on your way with sequencing.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:11 pm Just a question - why do you want these automatable?
Hi Evil

Good question and thank you for asking. Before I explain I admit that there may well be a better of achieving what I am doing but I am sure you know what it is like when you are trying to keep the creativity flowing and working to a deadline we need to work quickly.

What I am doing is easy on a real guitar - it starts with a push, then pumping 8th notes on the one hand (starts with one 16th then 8ths) going from soft srum to hard, before hitting the next chord on a push. These are all down strums.

During the 8th strums the voicing of the individual chords being strumed changes but I can not hear Shreddage following these chages.

To illustrate I attach a grab of Cubase's midi editor.
The important issue I am having and the reason for asking if it is possible to automate the Strum Speed Map "invert"is that when faced with notes (chord) with low velocity values Shreddage strums the chords slowly and spreads the notes out, rather than playing the chord fast but gentle.

To illustrate what I mean I have uploaded some clips to my soundcloud but KVR will not allow me to post them or attach them to this post which is unhelpful.

As part of my "looking for a solution" I clicked on the Strum Speed Map "invert" and hit play. For the first to the third it now played them fine (as fast strums) but I am not happy with the actual sound now.

As an experiment I loaded up a 2nd instance of Archtop, same settings and processing chain and copied only the midi data for the 8th note strums 1 - 3 BUT with Strum Speed Map Inverted. Then muted those three 8th notes in the first instance of Archtop and hit play.

The result is that the 8ths with low velocity are played as fast strums as you can hear in this third audio file below and you can see an example of the midi in the screen grab.

It seems wasteful to have to use two instancies of Archtop to achieve this so this is why I was asking it it could be done.

If there is a better way I'd be grateful for suggestions.

You could change the strum speed map to CC instead of Velocity and then you will have separate control over strumming speed vs strumming velocity, without needing to automate the Invert buttons at all. :)

Evil

Your a star, that was right under my nose and I could not see it, thank you.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”