Midi Looper - increase steps?

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've really come to like Midi Looper except I really need more steps. It is limited to 128 and at 1/16, that's only 8 bars, which isn't enough. I've gone down the rabbit hole to see if there is anyway for me to edit it but it appears to be locked. Is there anything that can be done?

Hi, I did respond to your email, didn’t you get it? Unfortunately it won’t be possible Here is what I wrote:

That would be an impossible task unfortunately, the size constraints of arrays is the determining factor. If you think about how many variables, steps, patterns etc are involved this all adds up very quickly & at the end of it all it has to be stored in a preset file which has a limited size.

I think array sizes may have been increased since I coded it, but it would pretty much have to be radically changed & lose all backward compatibility to change it. Think of it as fixed/reserved memory blocks & so all individual information is expected to be in its own precise matrix location.

All the best
Andy

No, I didn't get the email, sorry.

Well, that's disappointing because this is just driving me crazy, finding a reliable midi looper that is easy.

So if it was only one track of looping (instead of 7), no variations and let's say polyphony was reduced to 4 (instead of 8 ), it would be possible, you think? Not that I'm asking you to do this, just curious. (Though I would pay someone seriously good money for a decent midi looper, haha)
Last edited by manymanyhaha on Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If I were to start again with it then it would be possible, I haven’t coded k script for a while but I’m fairly sure that I read that arrays were expanded in one of the updates. The issue is that 128 was designed at the very beginning & so all storage is basically chunks of mapped 128 adresses to deal with the large amount of data. I think it would be much easier to start again than try to remap everything. This actually turned out to be one of the most complex & trickiest scripts I wrote & have to admit revisiting it & relearning how it works doesn’t fill me with a warm glow :)

Having said all of that, I’ll try & find some time to have a look at it, perhaps a version without patterns reusing the storage, but I can’t promise anything.

No worries, I get it. Would totally appreciate you having a look and telling me what you think.

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”