Quick query - flat surface required?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, just a quickie and apologies if it's covered somewhere already... hopefully I can make my question make sense too - please ask if it's not clear.

Is it best to place the Linnstrument on a flat surface spanning the width of the unit, or would it be happy on two raised blocks - for example two 2" wood blocks equally spaced apart?

I guess I wondered whether this might bow the surface over time or put pressure on the unit/sensors somehow? I can hack something fairly easily if need be so thought I'd check.

Many thanks, Andy

It does fine with either, considering keyboard stands are basically two arms spread apart. I place it on the lower tier arms of my K&M Spider Pro and it hardly shifts when I play on it.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:27 am It does fine with either, considering keyboard stands are basically two arms spread apart.
Ah thanks - I hadn't made the keyboard stand leap.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:27 am It does fine with either, considering keyboard stands are basically two arms spread apart. I place it on the lower tier arms of my K&M Spider Pro and it hardly shifts when I play on it.
Nice stand btw - I wonder about something like that but I'm somewhat limited positionally in the studio, since I'm in an attic space with sloping sides on two walls. Basically means my playing/seating position is lower than I'd like. Moving things isn't really an option though so I'll have to lump it.

t-IB wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:36 am Nice stand btw - I wonder about something like that but I'm somewhat limited positionally in the studio, since I'm in an attic space with sloping sides on two walls. Basically means my playing/seating position is lower than I'd like. Moving things isn't really an option though so I'll have to lump it.
I understand your situation well. Other than a typical keyboard stand, if you want an ingenious solution, you can consider arms with hooks installed to the walls and play the LinnStrument tilted downwards, in a similar manner to the upper tier of my column stand. The ergonomics are entirely different, so you may want an adjustable chair with a generous height range.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:41 am

I understand your situation well. Other than a typical keyboard stand, if you want an ingenious solution, you can consider arms with hooks installed to the walls and play the LinnStrument tilted downwards, in a similar manner to the upper tier of my column stand. The ergonomics are entirely different, so you may want an adjustable chair with a generous height range.
I've toyed with making something to hang down from the struts (probably wrong term - I'm not a builder) but while I could get my old man to make something really I don't want to cut/drill into the thing that holds my roof up!

I have a full size stage piano up there that could perhaps move but I'd have the same problem with that then, and I hate feeling uncomfortable in front of that.

Will come down to how much my lower back suffers in extended sessions - I haven't had too much of an issue when I was Linnstrumenting in a similar position so we'll see.

Perhaps a tilted laptop stand might help one way or another thinking about it...

t-IB wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:01 am I've toyed with making something to hang down from the struts (probably wrong term - I'm not a builder) but while I could get my old man to make something really I don't want to cut/drill into the thing that holds my roof up!
You can hire the appropriate tradesperson for jobs like that. Just remember that you need to limit the amount of weight and playing pressure since the sloped wall has nothing to support it unless it is reinforced. The LinnStrument is fine but other gear can be dicey.
t-IB wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:01 amPerhaps a tilted laptop stand might help one way or another thinking about it...
It helps if you are using it for a laptop as intended for keeping the display at eye level.

If you need help rearranging your studio to accomodate the LinnStrument, I can provide advice for the room layout if you capture photographs of it.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:30 am You can hire the appropriate tradesperson for jobs like that. Just remember that you need to limit the amount of weight and playing pressure since the sloped wall has nothing to support it unless it is reinforced. The LinnStrument is fine but other gear can be dicey.
Yeah, I'd likely look to have the Haken there which is weightier, given I've always managed fine with the Linnstrument position. I'll figure it out over time - I'm just aware pedal work isn't ideal with my seating position so it will depend on how much I incorporate that.
It helps if you are using it for a laptop as intended for keeping the display at eye level.

If you need help rearranging your studio to accomodate the LinnStrument, I can provide advice for the room layout if you capture photographs of it.
Funnily enough this will be the first time in 20 odd years I've had a laptop up in the studio - I was thinking of the potential of a laptop stand to raise the Haken/Linnstrument to a better and slightly closer position - I'll work that one out over time but for now will be focussing on developing my continuum technique.

Appreciate that offer thanks - I'm confident that one way or another I'll figure it out over time though: I'm really particular, so it's more a case of trying things for long enough to realise exactly how I want it. There's always a compromise somewhere so I tend to play until I reach the one I'm happy with. I'll keep you in mind if I'm struggling though and appreciate that offer, thanks.

(As an aside I like to work at each machine/units location fairly exclusively in the studio and basically wheelie chair myself around in order to do so.

Ergonomics are never quite perfect but good enough for extended sessions in front of each unit, with the exception one thing that, due to size/space constraints, I have to sit on the floor to patch... regular fidgeting/breaks required there!)

t-IB wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:49 am Funnily enough this will be the first time in 20 odd years I've had a laptop up in the studio - I was thinking of the potential of a laptop stand to raise the Haken/Linnstrument to a better and slightly closer position - I'll work that one out over time but for now will be focussing on developing my continuum technique.
That is problematic because laptop stands are not designed for significant weight or downwards force, nor are they long enough to keep either MPE controllers stable for playing on their extreme sides. Even if you keep your playing technique in the centre, the laptop stand will eventually sag.

You may want to consider keyboard tables instead, as they also support multiple tiers, but they are positioned lower because they are designed for a sitting position, whereas my column stand is designed to also support a standing position.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:47 pm
t-IB wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:49 am Funnily enough this will be the first time in 20 odd years I've had a laptop up in the studio - I was thinking of the potential of a laptop stand to raise the Haken/Linnstrument to a better and slightly closer position - I'll work that one out over time but for now will be focussing on developing my continuum technique.
That is problematic because laptop stands are not designed for significant weight or downwards force, nor are they long enough to keep either MPE controllers stable for playing on their extreme sides. Even if you keep your playing technique in the centre, the laptop stand will eventually sag.

You may want to consider keyboard tables instead, as they also support multiple tiers, but they are positioned lower because they are designed for a sitting position, whereas my column stand is designed to also support a standing position.
Ah, good point - it's likely I'll look to diy something (or rather get my old man to) so that I can get the Linnstrument closer to hands once I'm at a point where I'm not totally focussed on the Haken.

Here's where I got so far - as you can see it will be a bit of a stretch to play the linn, though I'm also aware I want to be able to reference the front panel options on the Haken. I'll see how comfortable will consider options after a while - a pull out tray might be another thing to think on, though I think I'd like it above the Haken rather than 6 inches or so below. There's also a few folk out there who suggest the Haken should be tilted so that's something else to think on/try out.
Screenshot_20230723-170607~2.png
In theory I'm selling the continumini but actually I think it's far more likely I'll keep it hooked up to the Linnstrument for bi-timbrality. We'll see...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Okay, based on just the one image, a keyboard table is a more effective solution because you can reclaim space length-wise while also utilizing adjustable vertical space. You can place the MPE controllers in any configuration because each tier/stacker can fully support their weight. Regardless of how you configure them you will always clearly see the front panel options on the half-size Continuum. Here is an example image of a keyboard table using a minimal configuration without any tabletops or controller keyboard trays.

18811-000-55_Detail_1.jpg

You could place the ContinuuMini on a third tier, but there is potential to save even more space by replacing it with the EagenMatrix Module instead and relocating that somewhere nearby, but I do not have enough information of your studio to firmly recommend that option.

If you still want to pursue the DIY option, remember that ergonomics, stability, visibility, and weight capacity need to be carefully considered in your design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:40 pm Okay, based on just the one image, a keyboard table is a more effective solution because you can reclaim space length-wise while also utilizing adjustable vertical space. You can place the MPE controllers in any configuration because each tier/stacker can fully support their weight. Regardless of how you configure them you will always clearly see the front panel options on the half-size Continuum. Here is an example image of a keyboard table using a minimal configuration without any tabletops or controller keyboard trays.

18811-000-55_Detail_1.jpg

You could place the ContinuuMini on a third tier, but there is potential to save even more space by replacing it with the EagenMatrix Module instead and relocating that somewhere nearby, but I do not have enough information of your studio to firmly recommend that option.

If you still want to pursue the DIY option, remember that ergonomics, stability, visibility, and weight capacity need to be carefully considered in your design.
Unfortunately, what isn't clear from the photo is the position of the beam, which wouldn't allow something like that stand to fit into the space - it would be a great solution and absolutely what I would look at if it did. My desktop probably sits under 50cm with the beam probably around a metre from the floor. It's a difficult space to fit in a standard design for that reason.

So measured and my desk height is a very low 45cm, with the beam just over 80cm. Not ideal.

Something like this might fit the bill - at 25cm high with adjustable angles/distance I could probably get things set up as well as possible on the desk. I'd be pushing the upper limit of weight though:

https://www.obelisquedesign.co.uk/ams-s ... r-37-49-2/

Here's a better picture showing the problem with the space - I've pulled the desk out a little more since when I played last night the beam blocked my view of the far side of the Linnstrument! It's less than ideal, since I have to sit lower than I'd like too (used to that) but I can't come further into the room due to access. Other kit won't fit that side either unless I sit on the floor, which I do t really enjoy.

It's always a compromise, though maybe that stand gives me best options... Need a better stool too!
Screenshot_20230724-113150~2.png

This is challenging because your setup is wedged very low into the side. If the opposite side does not have a beam, you may be able to invert the whole room's setup so that you have more vertical clearance. Ideally though, you have the setup right in the center at the end of the room opposite the entryway, so I am more interested in what is currently occupying that space.

The idea I have is that everything not requiring height can be "stored" under the beam(s), and after entering the attic space, you move to the rear to access your music setup. Rack-mounted gear and synthesizers without keybeds can be placed on the sides where accessing them is not crucial, they just need to be out of the way but connected to your music setup via cables. If you like this idea, but still want to be able to interact with hardware synthesizers directly, you will need to move them to the rear as well as against the sides for easy reach, but depending on the amount of gear you have you may need to prioritize some of them over others.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:15 am This is challenging because your setup is wedged very low into the side. If the opposite side does not have a beam, you may be able to invert the whole room's setup so that you have more vertical clearance. Ideally though, you have the setup right in the center at the end of the room opposite the entryway, so I am more interested in what is currently occupying that space.

The idea I have is that everything not requiring height can be "stored" under the beam(s), and after entering the attic space, you move to the rear to access your music setup. Rack-mounted gear and synthesizers without keybeds can be placed on the sides where accessing them is not crucial, they just need to be out of the way but connected to your music setup via cables. If you like this idea, but still want to be able to interact with hardware synthesizers directly, you will need to move them to the rear as well as against the sides for easy reach, but depending on the amount of gear you have you may need to prioritize some of them over others.
The beam is lower on the other side! Theres also the access hatch, which means I can't come further into the room. As I said, it's all a compromise.

The end without a beam is occupied by other hands on kit that won't fit anywhere else - as I mentioned before I'm pretty particular, and it's layed out just so (in terms of speaker position, access to sequencers, crosspatchability, mixing desk and effects etc).

The good news is I'm getting used to the positioning of the Haken and to a lesser degree the Linnstrument, so I think I've probably found my solution in the desktop stand posted earlier.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”