Bitwig 5 browser is a mess

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is an option to sort the plugins by developper names.
I was searching for IK multimedia mixbox plugin, I clicked the effect icon and by brand but there is no IK multimedia name showing !
I spent several minutes to find the plugin, don't even know under which developper name it is put in Bitwig browser !
That's a mess.

Last edited by wvshpr on Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I never know which section to click. Presets and then my library? My library and then presets? Everything and then favorites and devices or devices and favorites etc. There are too many similar combinations.

I tend to use the side panel mostly but it doesn't seem to save the settings for each quick load section at the top.

I've added three categories: Bitwig Devices, All Plugins, All Presets, as well as Favorites, to the Quick Sources.
Additionally, I've created three snapshots with their defaults. By the way, opening the browser with shift+clicking automatically displays the prefiltered favorites, eliminating the need to type in most cases.

so IMO it isn't messy max buggy one
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Can you not simply type "IK" in the search? or "mixbox"?

I have it on "everything" mode and type in box, it's super fast. For example, if I type "obses" it will show me eveything by Analog Obsession. If I type "DMG" it shows me everything by DMG audio. etc etc

Could not be any faster tbh.

I agree.

Pretty annoyed at the moment. I installed a new plugin today and can't find it. I search for it and nothing comes up. I try to browse by devices, manufacturer, whatever, and I just get a huge list of presets that I don't care about, and probably never will care about because i generally don't use presets I just want to mess around in my synth. I don't want to dig through a crap ton of presets to find my device.

It's honestly bs. I just opened Bitwig 4, clicked to add a new instrument track, and instantly was able to find the plugin.

Also while the context thing is cool, it's bs that I have to spend time setting up the context for every situation I might use the browser. Before it showed me exactly what I wanted when I wanted it without any configuration. This is why I stopped using Reaper. You have way too many configuration options and you spend more time configuring stuff than writing music.

IDK maybe I just haven't figured it out fully yet but this browser is not intuitive at all.

^^ You should try adding your vst preset folders to the plugin locations setting, then they should be listed as a subset of the individual plugins...

I haven't spent much time understanding the browser yet, but it seems like a well-intentioned redesign. Unfortunately, whatever the deficiencies of the old browser were, it doesn't look like they landed on a better solution. It's just different and requires some relearning.

PhilipVasta wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:20 am I haven't spent much time understanding the browser yet, but it seems like a well-intentioned redesign. Unfortunately, whatever the deficiencies of the old browser were, it doesn't look like they landed on a better solution. It's just different and requires some relearning.
The new browser is an improvement over the old one. It is different and for sure requires relearning. The old browser was improved over time and the same will be the case with the new one. It still has a few rough edges, but even so, is significantly more flexible and overall faster.

Most complaints are because the person hasn't put any time learning the new one are aren't willing to do so. The manual is a good place to start.

pekbro wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:20 pm ^^ You should try adding your vst preset folders to the plugin locations setting, then they should be listed as a subset of the individual plugins...
Cool thank you, I will give that a try!

askewd wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:59 pm Can you not simply type "IK" in the search? or "mixbox"?
I have it on "everything" mode and type in box, it's super fast. For example, if I type "obses" it will show me eveything by Analog Obsession. If I type "DMG" it shows me everything by DMG audio etc etc

The issue for me is my qwerty keyboard sits behind my midi controller keyboard (as it should for proper ergonomics in a music studio) so reaching over to type anything is not efficient. I do all my work with the mouse or at least as much as the software allows me. If we create a coherent plugin database we should never have to type anything. Any plugin we want should only be 2 or 3 mouse clicks away.
askewd wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:59 pmCould not be any faster tbh.
One click to open the plugin data base, click on the plugin you want or click on the collection you want and then the plugin. Nothing could be faster than two or three mouse clicks unless the DAW can read your mind.

The thing is if we need to waste time with the manual just to understand the new browser then the design team has failed at creating an intuitive product and has simply provided a text book definition of bloatware. Those of us who don't wear Bitwig colored glasses and can see clearly do understand that fact. I made my database in version 4.x without ever even opening the manual.

The 5.0.4 "update" broke my plugin database by adding a lot of collections left over from an older version. It took me a few minutes to fix the damage.

If BW doesn't keep breaking my database I've got it dialed in as long as I don't click anywhere else in the browser because then plugins start disappearing from collections and it becomes an incoherent mess.

So to me the new browser is the least efficient of any DAW I own. I like Bitwig but I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel for the new browser..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:33 pm
One click to open the plugin data base, click on the plugin you want or click on the collection you want and then the plugin. Nothing could be faster than two or three mouse clicks unless the DAW can read your mind.
That's exactly how the new browser works...

Click the + in the track area, click the plugins icon, then company and then plugin.

Whats wrong with that?
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Kypresso wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:36 am
Click the + in the track area, click the plugins icon, then company and then plugin.

Whats wrong with that?
For adding instruments, I have default set to my most used synth plugins. So 90+% of the time it is

Click + and Select Plugin

Return to “Bitwig”