What base functionality still is missing in Bitwig 5

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Milkman wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:43 am
pdxindy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:58 am
Milkman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:18 pm How is a relevant discussion about the cause of issues that we all face against the rules?

Perhaps discounting the source of the problem we are all talking about is against the rules. Have you thought about that?
This is a forum for and about Bitwig. This thread was started to discuss feature that people consider expected that are not there in Bitwig.

Many of your posts here are off topic. Off topic to the thread and the forum in general. Site wide, KVR discourages posts about politics, social problems, etc. There's one little corner for that and otherwise, yeah, it's against the rules.

There are plenty of places on the internet for you to discuss these sorts of topics and with people who are there for that purpose. This isn't one of them. So if you would, please respect this.
Many of your posts are confrontational - not debate, but argument and insinuation - so you are more likely to be seen as not following rules than anyone else. You should really learn how to have some tact and try not to steamroll threads. Its rude.

This was always relevant, and your issue of becoming defensive, combative, and/or uncomfortable when discussing the actual root cause of the brand issues we were *just* talking about is your own problem. Save it for someone you can push around and threaten with forum rules. That isnt me. Maybe block me so we dont have this unfortunate interaction again in the future? Thanks.

Edit: in fact, allow me. There is like 1 person on my blocklist here, and now they have company.
After reading all this drama it seems likely to me that the milkman is drinking too much moloko. https://a-clockwork-orange.fandom.com/wiki/Moloko_Plus

drsyncenstein wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:31 pm
Milkman wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:43 am
pdxindy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:58 am
Milkman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:18 pm How is a relevant discussion about the cause of issues that we all face against the rules?

Perhaps discounting the source of the problem we are all talking about is against the rules. Have you thought about that?
This is a forum for and about Bitwig. This thread was started to discuss feature that people consider expected that are not there in Bitwig.

Many of your posts here are off topic. Off topic to the thread and the forum in general. Site wide, KVR discourages posts about politics, social problems, etc. There's one little corner for that and otherwise, yeah, it's against the rules.

There are plenty of places on the internet for you to discuss these sorts of topics and with people who are there for that purpose. This isn't one of them. So if you would, please respect this.
Many of your posts are confrontational - not debate, but argument and insinuation - so you are more likely to be seen as not following rules than anyone else. You should really learn how to have some tact and try not to steamroll threads. Its rude.

This was always relevant, and your issue of becoming defensive, combative, and/or uncomfortable when discussing the actual root cause of the brand issues we were *just* talking about is your own problem. Save it for someone you can push around and threaten with forum rules. That isnt me. Maybe block me so we dont have this unfortunate interaction again in the future? Thanks.

Edit: in fact, allow me. There is like 1 person on my blocklist here, and now they have company.
After reading all this drama it seems likely to me that the milkman is drinking too much moloko. https://a-clockwork-orange.fandom.com/wiki/Moloko_Plus
Yes. Its clear that anyone who seeks the root cause of a problem - but seeks a little harder than the pro-brand "LinkedIn" side of the forum would like - is "drinking too much moloko". This is such a popular take, its good that you piled on so as to demonstrate the veracity of my claims for me. Thanks!

Just a mild joke. In the hope that you would let the mirror reflect the light on you, instead of others. Mission failed it seems.

now should come the let's write your own plugin along with some visual scripter

ala Reaper https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=278176

since we already have that nice Grid environment, let's have some user modules as well.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I am not sure there is any such thing as 'base functionality' we all use DAWS differently. Some people just use midi and never record audio for example, some the other way around. The problem is never the tools.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Actually, it seems to me they've positioned it as a secondary DAW role and they don't really add features that are present in other DAWs, only ones for which there's a huge demand. But under Reaper, there's already an AbletonLink script, and projects can be moved between the two, so I don't have that big of a complaint anymore

https://github.com/ak5k/reablink
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

SLiC wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:49 am I am not sure there is any such thing as 'base functionality' we all use DAWS differently. Some people just use midi and never record audio for example, some the other way around. The problem is never the tools.
It's relatively simple: The base functionality of a Digital Audio Workstation is to be a workstation in which you can digitally work with audio. This might or might not include Midi. If, by intent of the DAW company it includes Midi, the base functionality also includes Midi.

How much of Audio- and Midi-Editing and what specific tools are then considered "base functionality" tends to be debateable, depending on the expectations one has concerning the workflow.

If, however, the DAW company itself makes quite a bold statement, it's very logical that the expectations of users are rising. I love to quote Bitwig on this topic. Here's the quote from Bitwig.com:
"Bitwig Studio is the single solution for realizing any musical idea across every stage of production."
Quite a statement. Now what kind of base functionality would one expect from such a bold statement? Quite a lot more than just basic midi and audio editing. What specifically? That's debateable, yea. But it's legitimate to ask for the quickest possible workflow, especially since we're in a great day/age in which we have established high standards and can compare all DAWs in great detail. Those standards, like smart tools, quick-editing, etc. raise the bar for what can be considered base functionality every year.
And the problem CAN indeed be the tools, depending on what you're trying to achieve, some tools are just too limited. Cubase can't be used for Live-Performance the same way as Bitwig- and Bitwig lacks greatly compared to Cubase, when it comes to Orchestral Arrangement/Scoring.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

Imagine being able to work with more than 512 note sources! Just a few more would make it possible to do (play) real-time orchestrations with Divisimate.
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com
Dell i7Q 3,4 MHz 32 GB RAM. Acer ZenBook Flip. Ableton Push#1, Fractal Audio AxeFx2. EWI, Cello, Chapman Stick, Guitars, Alto Flute, Tenor Sax.

pboy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:59 am Imagine being able to work with more than 512 note sources! Just a few more would make it possible to do (play) real-time orchestrations with Divisimate.
What do you mean by "512 note sources"?

When you go into "settings/controllers" you can add control keyboards and virtual MIDI ports. The sum of notes streaming through all your ports is limited to 512. This makes it impossible to play with Divisimate, which uses 32 ports, and still have a keyboard or two connected. There might be other user situations than the Divisimate situation. Adding a few more to 512 would open up Bitwig to be used by many more people.
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen
Dell i7Q 3,4 MHz 32 GB RAM. Acer ZenBook Flip. Ableton Push#1, Fractal Audio AxeFx2. EWI, Cello, Chapman Stick, Guitars, Alto Flute, Tenor Sax.

To be clear, it is possible to use Divisimate with Bitwig. Have you tried using Logic mode?

PhilipVasta wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:31 pm To be clear, it is possible to use Divisimate with Bitwig. Have you tried using Logic mode?
Yes, of course! But to do that I have to use only 30 of the 32 channels for the orchestra. And run all control keyboards through Divisimate (as opposed to setting them up as "Bitwig controller") since there is no more headroom for them in Bitwig's pref's. This is a workaround that means that control surfaces can not be used (since they typically need several MIDI ports).
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:50 pm - Step recording in pianoroll
This is a big deal for me. I can't get around a piano fast, but I know what notes I want to put in. Would be great to have less friction getting it done.

Automation editing should be at least as good as Ableton Live - at the moment it is tbh - woeful

Just scrolled up this thread - seems like you guys have been having fun with stuff stuck to your watches and so on. Good luck with that. x

Return to “Bitwig”