Send just the center?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use Reaper, which has a JS effect called 'Center Canceller'. This does what you would expect: It cancels out the center of a stereo track.

I have a recorded drum machine, which has some instruments panned to the left and right. The kick, however, is right in the center.

I could send the left channel one place, and the right channel another. But both would have the kick in them, when really I would like to send the center to a third receive. Is there any way of achieving this?

why not just put your kick on another channel?

Are theses whole drum machine ensemble drum loops? Or individual tracks (kick on one, snare on another, hihat on yet another, etc) ?

If whole ensemble in one loop, You could make a duplicate track then EQ out the kickdrum from one track and have it as the only sound on the other, depending on how busy the samples are. If they're really light and on a 4/4 you might even be able to edit the samples themselves to remove the kickdrum.

There is also a tool like Mongoose ( https://www.bozdigitallabs.com/product/mongoose/ ) that can do the former for you on a single track. It splits low frequency from high and then allows you to adjust panning and level. Mid-Side Processor.

But if you are able to record each instrument one at a time, on it's own individual track, that'd be best. Then you'd have more control over cleanly positioning each element.

Thanks for the reply. The output from the drum machine is just left/right, and I thought about going the way you mentioned: EQ it so everything above a frequency goes to one channel, and everything below goes somewhere else.

I also think the technology in Mongoose is getting close to my goal: there's a center threshold, and any sound that is close enough to the center gets summed to mono. However, for my use case, the center would go to another channel entirely.

But, what I could try is keeping the drum machine at the same tempo, programming it to just play the kick part, then just the snare part, then the hats, record these separately, line them up in the DAW, and then they would be on different channels. I was just hoping there would be a way to split up an existing, 2-channnel recording.

You need a mid/side
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

publicradio wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:56 am I use Reaper, which has a JS effect called 'Center Canceller'. This does what you would expect: It cancels out the center of a stereo track.

I have a recorded drum machine, which has some instruments panned to the left and right. The kick, however, is right in the center.

I could send the left channel one place, and the right channel another. But both would have the kick in them, when really I would like to send the center to a third receive. Is there any way of achieving this?
As one of the fundamentals, shouldn't the kick in the center exist?

Return to “Production Techniques”