Upgrading macOS from Monterey, Oct 2023: jump to Ventura or Sonoma?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I generally try to stay a bit behind on OS'es, ever since the big fiasco around the time of El Capitan breaking a bunch of stuff, but this machine I'm on (2022 M1 Mac Studio) isn't that old. I feel like it's just now up to spec with all the plugins I need, and the limited amount of hardware I'm connecting to it is from companies that are rock sold with their driver support (RME and iconnectivity).

I still have an old machine running High Sierra for opening up old files, so I could make a clean break to Apple Silicon. I think there's only one dev that's lagging behind (D16, for Nepheton & Nithonat), while everything else has been good to this point.

Is it generally safe to make this jump? I mostly need to upgrade to retain some compatibility with non-music production apps.

Most people have found the upgrade from Ventura to Sonoma to be painless. I personally found no issues in going from Monterey to Ventura to Sonoma.

i jumped to Ventura from Monterey, apprehensively. No issues yet.
Will install Sonoma soon, apprehensively.
It's probably not that scary in the end, just the once bitten twice shy macOS thing we all know and don't love so much. I'm not fond of the iOS crappy vertical phone layout of System Settings and things like that, but it's not the first time i've had to get use to some crappy new backwards Apple decision.

I haven't run through all my plugins yet. But it hasn't been one of those horror OS jumps.
Most people have reported positively regarding Sonoma, generally. I'm still of the ilk that i wait until a few point releases before updating.

Have been using the Sonoma beta for quite a few months with no trouble at all.
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Found no issues in going from Ventura to Sonoma.

Made the jump to Ventura. Liking it so far. No issues I’ve seen yet.

I just am in the process of migrating to a new computer from Monterey to Sonoma on a new Mac Mini M2. It’s time consuming due to re installing new computer ID’s. The 2 computer limitation is a pain in the *ss. Mac mini M1 with old system still running - just in case, Laptop and new Mac Mini. Anyway!
The only plugin I am not able to install yet is Output’s Arcade. Other than that so far so good… fingers still very much crossed though. Good luck:)

nordickvr wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:07 pm Found no issues in going from Ventura to Sonoma.
this has also been my experience so far

kelvyn wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:05 pm It’s time consuming due to re installing new computer ID’s. The 2 computer limitation is a pain in the *ss.
The what? I have no idea what this means.

I took it as a reference to plugins that only allow 2 authorisations.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”