Orchestral libraries for a beginner

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,
What plugins would you say is good for a beginner when it comes to scoring, commercials and games?
I was looking into Spitfires Originals series, does anyone have any experience with those libraries?
and which one would you choose and why , Nucleus vs BBC core?
Thanks!

Project SAM free orchestra is a good starting point, too. And free. Just check how far it takes you and invest when necessary. Same goes for other free offers.

Also, take a look at Musio. The sub is a good way to check it out for little money.

ralfrobert wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:01 am Project SAM free orchestra is a good starting point, too. And free. Just check how far it takes you and invest when necessary. Same goes for other free offers.

Also, take a look at Musio. The sub is a good way to check it out for little money.
Awesome! Thanks for the advice, how would you say Musio compares to Spitfire Original series which decently affordable?

acus365 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:40 pm
ralfrobert wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:01 am Project SAM free orchestra is a good starting point, too. And free. Just check how far it takes you and invest when necessary. Same goes for other free offers.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice, how would you say Musio compares to Spitfire Original series which decently affordable?
Musio gives you a lot of libraries, I would say not everything you ever need, but enough for at least 3 years. Available as a sub and, I think, also as a permanent license.

Spitfire Originals are small dedicated packages, bundle available, too. Very good stuff, but it sums up, too.

How much do you want to spend? And when? I suggest you get your big toe wet with the free stuff, then your feet when you want more detail and realism, then jump in completely when needed. Many libraries are not transferable, so you should be sure. And investment can be huge.

If you want detailed advice, I suggest posting in the newbies section of VI-Control or searching for advice there. Many very nice and helpful people there, and the forum is specialized on the subject.

I think i will go for either Musio or EastWest ComposerCloud+ what would you say is the best between the two?
I want to go as far away as possible when it comes to mainstream music like pop. And solely focus on scoring for movies / game audio. Is there anything else you would recommend that is solely for scoring, another company that offers the same as musio or eastwest? Preferrably all instruments are "kinda" recorded in the same type of environment as the next instrument, if you get what i mean. And also not being outdated like the Albion One from Spitfire.

Thanks once again for helping out! I will check out VI-Control aswell !

ralfrobert wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:50 pm
acus365 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:40 pm

Musio gives you a lot of libraries, I would say not everything you ever need, but enough for at least 3 years. Available as a sub and, I think, also as a permanent license.

Spitfire Originals are small dedicated packages, bundle available, too. Very good stuff, but it sums up, too.

How much do you want to spend? And when? I suggest you get your big toe wet with the free stuff, then your feet when you want more detail and realism, then jump in completely when needed. Many libraries are not transferable, so you should be sure. And investment can be huge.

If you want detailed advice, I suggest posting in the newbies section of VI-Control or searching for advice there. Many very nice and helpful people there, and the forum is specialized on the subject.
See the reply above, i forgot to qoute you :dog:

Libraries can give you a very different vibe. This comes down to the mood you want to transport in your music, personal taste and external requirements. Please check the two subs, these are the ones I would go for. And also try what you already have. Komplete, for example, has some orchestral thingies. Not world class, but ok.

If money is no object go for VSL. Otherwise as has been suggested already try Musio and EastWest’s ComposerCloud+ and on that try them both see which one you like better to use/works better on your system/sounds better to you. You can buy the orchestras in both those subscriptions if you decide to stay with one of them and don’t want to subscribe.
OPUS (the player for EastWest) is mature and offers purging and articulation switching. Musio’s player is rapidly developing but key switching is currently spotty - I’m not sure about purging. VSL offers some free stuff which also allows you to see and feel how their player works.

rACatkvr wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:31 am If money is no object go for VSL. Otherwise as has been suggested already try Musio and EastWest’s ComposerCloud+ and on that try them both see which one you like better to use/works better on your system/sounds better to you. You can buy the orchestras in both those subscriptions if you decide to stay with one of them and don’t want to subscribe.
OPUS (the player for EastWest) is mature and offers purging and articulation switching. Musio’s player is rapidly developing but key switching is currently spotty - I’m not sure about purging. VSL offers some free stuff which also allows you to see and feel how their player works.
Yeah i actually went with EastWest for now. Uninstalled Musio almost immediately :(
Is VSL on Kontakt?

Everything from Spitfire Audio is really good in my opinion especially considering the LABS instruments are free.

You never did mention budget, but if that is a concern (or perhaps even if not), check Amadeus. Full-featured orchestra, sounds good IMO, unlike many it has solo instruments for everything, and only $149.

Most of the others if you decide to buy, wait for a sale. Probably some coming up in Nov. Def try the freebies like ProjectSAM, VSCO, etc.

acus365 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:03 am
rACatkvr wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:31 am If money is no object go for VSL. Otherwise as has been suggested already try Musio and EastWest’s ComposerCloud+ and on that try them both see which one you like better to use/works better on your system/sounds better to you. You can buy the orchestras in both those subscriptions if you decide to stay with one of them and don’t want to subscribe.
Yeah i actually went with EastWest for now. Uninstalled Musio almost immediately :(
Is VSL on Kontakt?
Did you not like Musio? I have a lot of Cinesamples stuff, but in Kontakt. I think it's quite good. Curious what made you nto like Musio.

I like Audio Modeling SWAM
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

? They don't have an orchestra.

VSL runs in its own players, though I believe Kontakt used to have early VSL libraries.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”