Keys for remote triggering of Logic Pro transport controls

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It would be great if a few (e.g. bottom row) keys could be set up to remotely trigger the transport controls in Logic Pro. Red for stop, green for play, yellow for pause etc. Apologies if this has been suggested before.

As far as I know, Logic's transport controls are expecting MMC messages, so you'd need a translator box of some kind either way. And if you're investing in one of those, there's really no need to add any special functionality to the LinnStrument. You could then simply use the two assignable panel switches to send MIDI CCs.

Regardless, the LinnStrument wasn't designed to be a DAW controller.

Cheers!

*Edit: Okay, I just tested this, and it seems that the LinnStrument's onboard sequencer does send MMC messages for play-start and stop. So, you could have the sequencer in one split, to send transport controls, and use the other split to play.

Thanks John that is very interesting. I do realise that my suggestion was a bit beyond the remit of the LinnStrument – it was just a passing idea.

I will experiment with your suggestion - thanks again

Hi Jez,

I’m not sure but I believe Logic permits any Note On message to be assigned to most any command. That’s how a low key on a midi piano keyboard could be similarly assigned.

Wow, Thank you - I’m learning a lot here! I will explore that as well! MIDI is an amazing tool.

Roger_Linn wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:30 am Hi Jez,

I’m not sure but I believe Logic permits any Note On message to be assigned to most any command. That’s how a low key on a midi piano keyboard could be similarly assigned.
Confirming that I have done this successfully with Logic.

Hi thank you for that piece of information. I have been trying to find out how to assign the keys in the way you have described, but haven’t managed to find the info yet.

I think the info is here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/l ... c31056/mac

Thanks again all

Return to “Roger Linn Design”