Upgraded my Mac to MacStudio and Sonoma, can't get the Linnstrument to communicate midi to my DAW

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I just retired my late 2015 27" iMac for a new Mac Studio M2. This computer only has two old/large USB connections and they're all taken; but lots of USB-C/Thunderbolt ports.

Initially, I connected my Linnstrument 128 to a USB 3.0 powered hub and it powers up fine, but I cannot get it setup with a port in PreSonus Studio One 6.5 and it's not communicating via MIDI confirmed in the MIDI Monitor App screenshot below.

So I purchased a high speed USB cable with a USB-A connection on the end for the Linnstrument (just like the included cable) and a USB C connection on the other end (USB B to USB C). Now connected directly to the Mac Studio USB-C port, it powers up, but I am unable to connect it in studio one. Same when trying to connect it to Kontakt 7 standalone app. No port except the default Port 1 appears in the Mac's MIDI setup screen.

So right now, the Linnstrument is powered up with lights on, but the Mac Studio is not receiving any midi data from it. My other five devices are communicating fine after plugging them in. Help!
Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 2.19.04 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't know if this helps at all, the current connection.
Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 2.38.40 PM.png

Your system report shows “LinnStrument Serial”. This means that you have UPDATE OS mode turn ON in Global Settings, Actions column, which prevents any MIDI communication. Turn it off to allow MIDI communication.

In future, there’s a helpful FAQ on the LinnStrument FAQ page, “Problems” tab:
“LinnStrument is not sending MIDI. What's wrong?”

Thanks Roger! That did it.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”