Desktop PC recommendations

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a laptop workstation (hp elitebook) that's starting to crap out on me after 11 years - I'm surprised it's lasted this long tbh. Now when it comes to these things I often get bogged down by option overload so i'm after some of recommendations for some specific Windows PC models I should be looking at. I'd like a nice balance between quality and affordability - my budget is around a thousand or so, could perhaps stretch a bit...

I mostly run FL studio and cubase, with omnisphere and kontakt libraries. I use large orchestral templates as well with spitfire libraries.

Edit: maybe it'd be better if I asked what sort of specs I should be looking out for, in addition to specific PC models..
Last edited by frank1985 on Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

11 years is a good run.

I'd build a gen 12 or 13 Intel CPU PC if I were you. i9 ideally.

Something like this might be good for you if you don't want to build it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325828888477
composer | producer http://noct.us

https://www.studiocat.com/ is both highly experienced and highly recommended with clients in the film industry (re large orchestral libraries, templates. etc). and well worth the consulting fee if you choose to build your own.

For $1000 you can slap together a 16 core 32 thread processor something like the AMD 5950x, 64gb ddr4 ram, and a terrabyte or two of NVME storage. Besides that you need a case, power supply and any GPU over $150 would suffice. Ram, MB CPU and GPU can all be hunted locally used to cut the price in half as all the parts are a product cycle behind. If you have strung a guitar you can plug 4 parts in to a board and screw it in to a case. If you want a laptop $1000 will get you what it gets you from all the major manufacturers and I doubt you can get anything purpose built for less than 50% more and I can't imagine you get any advantage from that.

A little late checking in here.

I appreciate the info.

Actually I managed to find a solution with my laptop where i feel i can get a few more years out of it.

I do have a better idea of where i want to go in terms of a future proof PC build when the time comes.

I went with a mini-PC option for my studio upgrade back around June (bought mine from GEEKOM) and it's been great. Very compact, very quiet, plenty powerful, and lots of interface ports. Easily fits within a $1,000 budget.
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

I have a local chain of computer stores (Central Computers) near me (San Francisco Bay Area) that will custom build a computer for you for a nominal fee, and their component cost was in line with anything I found online. They were really good and helpful. I’d see if you can find a similar local business.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”