Introducing myself to the community

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello. I am new here, and also still new to audio processing.
I am starting out on my Linux platform, getting into Waveform, Audacity and Ocenaudio.
My first weeks in Waveform Free (12.5.11) brought up several questions which I didn't find answered in the manual or tutorial videos on the Tracktion or YouTube sites.

I'll post my current questions in subsequent posts. See you there!
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

Welcome! Which linux distribution are you using? I couldn't get authentication to work on manjaro so I moved back to windows.

If you're new i highly recommend the linux studio plugins (LSP). They're the kind of thing that would cost hundreds on windows!

I am afraid I cannot tell you what licensing problem you are suffering and therefore suggest you to contact the Tracktion support.

I am on Debian (oldstable, "bullseye") with KDE (accordingly KDE also an older version as offered in the Debian "oldstable" repository).
The installation of Waveform worked smoothly. The creation of an account on the Tracktion page and the purchase of the PRO license was also flawless. I afterwards simply needed to enter my credentials in the Waveform app so that it could successfully connect to the Tracktion servers and then automatically got unlocked in the app the option to install the additional items coming with the PRO bundle. After having from the app initiated the installation of the new features I found them to be downloaded but some of them not having automatically been installed, although after the download they are reported as "installed". The option "reinstall" behaved the same, it downloaded items again and reports them to be installed, but actually I still have had to do this manually. I should mention that I did not test this for all additional items as I do not need all the things coming bundled with the PRO license. While I have had to manually install the DAW Essentials DSP filter collection, and would have to install manually at least the Collective package (I assume it is another synth, but I am not using synths), I currently do not remember what else could still be installed, I can confirm that the STEM Separation, Video and other other kind of internal Waveform functions, and some MultiSampler and enhanced Drums functionality, and a bunch of Loops and Samples have been installed automatically.
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

I do use some LSP plugins regulary, they are great!

My needs are quite simple.
I record the rehearsals of classical music instrument sessions, mostly classical guitar and flute, mainly for review but sometimes also for archiving them as a memory. Sometimes family and friends get to hear them.

The workflow is to first import the various with my cellphone recorded WAV (mono) files into WAVEFORMFREE/PRO and there to apply as a first step of noise removal a Low Cut filter using the "1-Band Equaliser", and if really needed then also to edit (trimm/cut) clips (records). Afterwards I use OCENAUDIO for removing the recording noise (mic & preamplifier noise of the cellphone), taking advantage of its high quality waveform & frequency views and noise removal tool, surprinsingly not offered at all or by far not even offered in proper quality in the WAVEFORM PRO app. Back in WAVEFORM FREE/PRO the denoised clips (each still carrying simply one mono recording) are mixed. Eventually, a very tiny amount of stereo reverb (using the "Natural Reverb" plugin from WAVEFORM FREE/PRO) becomes added on a parallel bus, mainly to get a natural sounding stereo output. On the master track I am using the "Monitor Switch" plugin from WAVEFORM FREE/PRO and the "Monitoring" plugin from the "Artisan Collection" of WAVEFORM PRO, and as surprinsingly not even WAVEFORM PRO has anything useful to offer for the spectrum analysis, I am using the "spectrum-analyzer" plugin from LSP plugin for this.

Just for the fun of it, I also use some few AIRWINDOWS plugins. You will know that the "Artisan Collection" plugins coming bundled with WAVEFORM PRO are a selection of AIRWINDOWS plugins to which WAVEFORM faceplates have been configured. You can alternatively of course also use the much bigger collection of original and sometimes more up-to-date AIRWINDOWS plugins. However, it requires quite some effort to find out out what these are all supposed to be good for, and to configure yourself faceplates for them if wanted. Especially regarding the AIRWINDOWS analog sound introducing "console" it seems to be worth using the original AIRWINDOWS plugins until Waveform would have updated its years old "Artisan Collection".

I still haven't spent enough time for deciding on "my" plugins for EQ, Saturation, Compression and Limiting. Your recommendations about Linux native candidates are welcome!
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

Return to “Tracktion”