Any recommendation on melody & harmony analysis software/plugins?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer

I've been searching for a while trying to find a great music theory analysis software/plugin. :help:

I can't read music sheets fast, and I'm not familiar with all the major/minor scales, so it takes me tens of seconds to recognize what a chord is and its root's scale step, function etc., and doing music theory analysis and learning is somewhat painful to me. So I'm looking for a music theory analysis tool to help me.

The common tools such as Scaler 2, Captain Chords etc. don't relate melody with harmony, and are not what I really need. For now, the best candidate is hookpad, which is simple yet straight and clear about harmony and melody relationships. I also tried RapidComposer, but it's overkill for me, let alone its UI and using experience are not so good.

Maybe I should explain my needs more clearly. I want these features:
1. Chord track (best if uses Roman numerals for mark)
2. Scale helper on piano roll (best if uses scale steps for labeling, or at least highlights tonal note and hide not used out-of-scale notes)

I wonder if anyone has other recommendations, thanks a lot!
(P.S. I'm new to here and English is not my native language, so please don't be too hard on me if anything is wrong in this post :pray: )

winfrid wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:25 am I'm not familiar with all the major/minor scales, so it takes me tens of seconds to recognize what a chord is and its root's scale step, function etc., and doing music theory analysis and learning is somewhat painful to me
Check out the popular Scaler 2 plugin from Plugin Boutique, also Studio One and Cubase DAWs have a chord track and scale lock/assistant, but also consider developing your own skills:
https://www.earmaster.com/
(half price for the next day)
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Michael L wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:27 am Check out the popular Scaler 2 plugin from Plugin Boutique, also Studio One and Cubase DAWs have a chord track and scale lock/assistant, but also consider developing your own skills:
https://www.earmaster.com/ (https://www.earmaster.com/)
(half price for the next day)
Thanks, I'm definitely gonna try both sides! I'm using Studio One and owns Cubase Elements, they do have chord track and scale assistant, but I just want something more straight, just like the hookpad. Maybe I'll use that if I can't find other alternatives.

Hookpad is pretty good!
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

free music notator,chord finder(notator,chordata) https://clam-project.org/download/win/

Captain Plugins by Miced in Key could be an option- but Scaler 2 Spoiler be better

Klimper 2: https://www.klimper-plugin.com/products/klimper-2
The first layer lets you choose your chords, all other layers will have a piano roll that highlights the root note of the chord and all notes that harmonize with the chords, so you can easily write melodies that work well with your chord progression. I bought it recently and I like it a lot. It's currently on sale for half the price. I wouldn't have paid full price as it's not feature-rich enough for me to spend 59.90€, but 29.90€ seems fair.
It has a handful of built-in instruments, so you can hear your chords, basslines, melodies, etc. as you write them, but they're just few and not very good. You'll normally drag and drop the MIDI onto other tracks where you use your own VSTs, or route the MIDI from Klimper to your other tracks.

What sort of copy protection does Klimper use? Is it internet based or just a serial/keyfile?
eh?

Dunbar wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:10 pm What sort of copy protection does Klimper use? Is it internet based or just a serial/keyfile?
It uses a serial number. I'm not sure if it used internet connection to check the validity of the serial.

Thanks.

Edit...
If anyone's interested, I can confirm it's just a serial number activation. No online Tomfoolery required.
eh?

Mdecks harmony pro is the only real tool that does this to any standard I would consider good.

Masters in music. I cannot think of any other tool that shows how everything relates. Works great for jazz too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Software for stuff that doesn't in any way actually require it seems a good way to waste time if you have it in infinite supply,
It's manual work you aren't going to get around.

I find Scaler 2 in conjunction with learning music theory is not a bad idea, because I also try stuff now with it that I probably would never have considered while just playing around with the keyboard. So for supporting my learning I think it's okay.

Sure, there you have ideas and a platform to check or whatever.

the OP speaks of unfamiliarity with basics. Once upon a time there was no software... This will always put me in mind of giving baby a crutch for its first steps, sorry.

Return to “Music Theory”