Still no support for 7.1.4 in Acoustica

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I purchased Acoustica Premium 7.3 several months ago in hopes of releasing my next music project in Atmos 7.1.4, anticipating that surely by now Acon Digital would have updated Acoustica by adding the two height channels. I wrote and asked them about future support for 7.1.4, which is the minimum configuration recommended by Dolby for Atmos music mixing. They replied that it was on their list, but no idea when it would be included in Acoustica. Shortly after, they came out with version 7.5 that added a bunch of new features, but no 7.1.4 support.

So here we are, it's almost 2024, and my distributor is ready for me to upload Atmos tracks for Spatial Audio and Tidal. But Acoustica is still not ready. Seems silly to me that they would not support the minimum music configuration recommended by Dolby itself, and that all Acon Digital has to do is add two extra channels to Acoustica's channel configurations. Can that be more difficult than adding all the recent new features of 7.5? Or do they not care so much about immersive music producers?

In 2020, I requested better sample looping features (which for me, was important functionality in a sample editor), and the response from the dev implied that they were planning updates to looping as many people had requested this. What was described sounded promising, if not exactly what I was looking for, but those updates have not materialised yet.
Luckily, I kept an old version of Sound Forge around for when I need to create accurate sample loops....

In the meantime, we've had new restoration plugins, stem separation, a new remix tool, ARA2, and many other updates, of which only ARA has been really useful to me.

AFAIK, Acon is basically a one man dev, and while he does continually add new stuff, we have no idea just how long that list of planned updates is, or what his priorities are.

One thing is for sure though, buying any product based on future features, even if they are 'on a list', is never a good strategy.
Last edited by neverbeeninariot on Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Three years is a long time to wait for the inclusion of a core feature! I honestly don't understand the mindset of some of these developers. Fortunately I still do a fair amount of stereo mastering so Acoustica won't be a complete waste of money. But like you, I will have to find alternatives.

Don't get me wrong, you can add sample loops, but the editing workflow could be improved, IMO, which is what I requested.

In any case, my point is that we don't know the road map for Acoustica, like most developers they don't make that public, so we shouldn't base purchasing decisions on features that don't currently exist - even if there was a public roadmap it would still be a bad strategy to buy based on that.

Stian is quite active here and usually responds quickly, and that is appreciated, but if you or I submit a feature request, it may or may not fit with his vision or priorities for the product, it may be niche or infrequently requested functionality, it might be difficult to implement, etc. He can't please everyone all the time, and he'd be crazy to even try to... His mindset seems fine to me.

A ton of stuff has been added over the years, it will be useful to many users, some is useful for me, some not so much. This is all pretty normal in product development.

If you are release ready, just use the right tool for the job and release your work. Hoping that something you bought will *become* that tool with zero time table from a developer just doesn’t make any sense nor does your frustration. Wavelab doesn’t even support this yet and it’s a significantly larger mastering platform than Acoustica. Pro Tools handles this natively now.

Return to “Acon Digital”