Recommend me some brushed jazz drums...

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi, looking for good sounding jazz drums VST. Superior drummer 3 decades sounds good but is expensive, the VSL jazz kit sounds even better and. I'm trialing the VSL right now, but I'm spending more time looking up how to use it than anything else so I'm having another crack at a search. Don't care much for the sound of addictive drums 2, nor the EZ big band (though perhaps that's the mix in the demo as it should be the same decades samples). Straightahead might be ok, but wondering if anyone could recommend another VST....or even a set of pre-recorded loops. thanks!

Many thanks

F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

My go to brushed kit for playing on my TrapKAT: https://shop.karoryfer.com/pages/free-unruly-drums

Actually, even as I'm a proponent of BFD, which has a few capable brush libraries, right now I'm doing things with a VSL snare that I can't do anywhere else because they have the articulations; interesting upbeats and stuff, and inside of a single patch.

The thing I am using atm is a Synchron Percussion library item, Kolberg Piccolo Snare from Synchron Percussion III Drums. 'Drums III'. Synchron Player is easier to use than VI Pro which is where the jazz drums reside.

looks like:
Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 10.41.25 AM.jpg
pretty straightforward

Costs about 35 USD more than the jazz drums (apples v oranges tho). The jazz drums snare/brushes sounds fantastic but I can see how it would be confusing.
Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 11.02.38 AM.png
There are four 'patches' making up one cell (articulation); two slots, each with a 'B' slot which may be crossfaded by a CC (default is CC20). The Synchron paradigm does not do this kind of thing, you can manipulate it to have a crossfade slot but not multiples.
It's a weird look but it's more powerful: the Y axis controlled by Mod Wheel (by default, you can use anything) gives different positions of the drum in cells 2-5, which you may not get elsewhere. I've never seen 4 positions except here. 80 something bucks seems a no-brainer. It was a free bonus back in the day and couldn't be bought outright, but its popularity was high so they put it on the regular market.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For brushed snares nothing comes close to Klevgrand's Borsta.

the Vienna Jazz Drums product is on sale for 49 euro, through March 4

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”