Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

muzicxs wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:54 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:41 pm
nowiamone wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:15 pm
Yup, not impossible, and still:
Bitwig can not export Midi files with Midi Cc Information. Just let that sink in.
It sank in a long time ago. Bitwig's midi export is only partially implemented. Midi import is also only partially implemented and also needs to be worked around. I've sent emails about both directions to Bitwig support.

The only part of your post I responded to was the statement that it was impossible to work around.
I sent an email yesterday about the missing sustain pedal in the exported MIDI, and they replied confirming they could replicate the issue and have forwarded it to their development team. Hopefully, we can get it moved up their priority list.
Thanks so much for sending that in! I sent it in a long time ago, so additional hints to them seem to be important - let's hope they fix it :pray:
OdoSendaidokai wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:45 pm I hope there will be a "Device & Modulation-Bounce" to "Midi/Notes & Automation" Feature. So that every manipulation you do with devices and modulators will be available as visual and continuous representation available for editing.
Would be great indeed! That's something which would be fitting into Bitwig really nicely.
Just like additional tools (Bitwig only uses numbers 1-5, and could profit greatly from a glue tool, which is far superior to just being able to consolidate, and more drawing tools like line, sinus, curve, etc.), and just like being able to insert Automation Shapes. Imagine this: You select a region in the arranger automation lane, right click, and the envelope shape browser opens up, so you can insert shapes from it!
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

My 5.2 wish list:

1. ARA integration
2. Dolby Atmos Renderer integration
3. a proper freeze track (distant 3rd)

SLiC wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:54 pm
BobDog wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:43 pm I'd like the 1,000 to 1 bet of grid containers and scripting.
Like Max ~Gen or Java?

being able to make a GUI first!
They actually have a script language at the core of bitwig since ages ... it's called nitro.
In the past it was possible to hack with nitro: https://github.com/stylemistake/bitwig-device-hacks
But they shut the door. most of the script now seems to be precompiled ... not shuting this hacking down would have cut sources of profit.
Speaking in terms of sustainable profit. They have to have a constant stream of new stuff coming to keep us spending money and be it only cosmetic stuff like the new browser ... which in my eyes took away lot's of developer hours and is only there to place an item on the "new features" section of the release notes. Like they can say "we have something new"...
Rather than scripting I think we get some "plused" devices, for instance "dynamics+" and/or some stuff which is a bunch of grid modules wrapped in a gui in 5.x, x < 5 version.

Groove pool and sampler slice.

Both essential.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:39 am
BobDog wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:43 pm I'd like the 1,000 to 1 bet of grid containers and scripting.
Like Max ~Gen or Java?

They actually have a script language at the core of bitwig since ages ... it's called nitro.
In the past it was possible to hack with nitro: https://github.com/stylemistake/bitwig-device-hacks
But they shut the door. most of the script now seems to be precompiled ... not shuting this hacking down would have cut sources of profit.
Speaking in terms of sustainable profit. They have to have a constant stream of new stuff coming to keep us spending money and be it only cosmetic stuff like the new browser ... which in my eyes took away lot's of developer hours and is only there to place an item on the "new features" section of the release notes. Like they can say "we have something new"...
Rather than scripting I think we get some "plused" devices, for instance "dynamics+" and/or some stuff which is a bunch of grid modules wrapped in a gui in 5.x, x < 5 version.
That would be quite a sad aspect, if true. (That they shut down user extension scripting abilities due to profit-reasons).

I could imagine that a true customizable extension scripting region, including custom GUIs ability (like the visual aspect of m4l, but even deeper than that) would transform Bitwigs usability a lot for many people, because especially within Bitwigs community, there are many Software devs who would do an insane job within their niche of expertise.
The amount and versatility of resulting tools built by the community would surpass any stuff Bitwig could create ... simply because the community is so much bigger than the dev team.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

nowiamone wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:09 pm
] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:39 am
Like Max ~Gen or Java?

That would be quite a sad aspect, if true. (That they shut down user extension scripting abilities due to profit-reasons).

I could imagine that a true customizable extension scripting region, including custom GUIs ability (like the visual aspect of m4l, but even deeper than that) would transform Bitwigs usability a lot for many people, because especially within Bitwigs community, there are many Software devs who would do an insane job within their niche of expertise.
The amount and versatility of resulting tools built by the community would surpass any stuff Bitwig could create ... simply because the community is so much bigger than the dev team.
Software built by the community for the community will not pay any wages for the devs ... and draining their sources of income would in the end hurt us all. It's not easy, as I love to use Protoplug and code stuff in lua. I have even forked it, updated it to Juce 6 and made a VST3 for me privately... but I understand that giving us a native grid "gen" module would hurt their business.

Yup- for as long as the updates have to be so frequent I suspect they will be predominantly 'new modules' based. I think Bitwig need the monopoly on making new modules to keep that going. Less so for say Live with just a more DAW focused update every 2 or 3 years, it probably helps them that other developers release a constant stream of high quality MAX modules for Live.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The theory that Bitwig shut down grid module scripting for fear of external competition doesn't sound plausible to me.

I'm pretty sure they'd welcome a thriving community of external module creators. But: Would it/did it really thrive? Is it worth keeping things open when keeping things closed allows them to make changes and improve their architecture much more freely and without breaking community modules? Keeping things open and customisable doesn't come for free.
SLiC wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:15 pm for as long as the updates have to be so frequent
I think you've got the causality the wrong way around. Developers usually prefer frequent releases, and I believe Bitwig have chosen their business model to support their desired cadence of updates rather than the other way around (the business mandating frequent updates, forcing the hand of the devs into working on small-scale improvements).

I would really prefer them to enhance the DAW features, and less the SOUND features.
I mean, there is tons of plugins already available. Why another eq or synth modules, while there is still no way to map the project tempo to a freely recorded midi track, or record comping midi parts ?

robisme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:49 pm I would really prefer them to enhance the DAW features, and less the SOUND features.
I mean, there is tons of plugins already available. Why another eq or synth modules, while there is still no way to map the project tempo to a freely recorded midi track, or record comping midi parts ?
To be fair I think that "freely recorded midi" feature you're looking for is there in other DAWS specifically for audio to video post production stuff. So if Bitwig updates their DAW for audio post production work, that sort of feature would come along with it. (the ability to anchor an event position reference to absolute time code and ignore adjustable tempo sub-division position reference)

I haven't had my coffee yet so maybe I misunderstanding what feature you're asking for, but hopefully I'm making sense.

The Midi comping, yeah, Bitwig needs this. I understand if the video/audio post production stuff is way further down the feature list timeline, but as a "primarily music making piece of software" this lack of MIDI comping is kind of a crazy thing to not have.

I'd love to see Bitwig just literally steal Logic's whole Step Sequencer concept. Logic kinda stole Bitwig's "move your audio around inside a clip" concept, so it's only fair that Bitwig steals the Step Sequencer from them, right? hahaha

Cheers
"music is the best"

I may upset some but I wouldn't mind.... Even more modulators lol.

When something is good, you never get enough.

Funk Dracula wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:14 pm
I'd love to see Bitwig just literally steal Logic's whole Step Sequencer concept.

Cheers
big +1

Funk Dracula wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:14 pm
robisme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:49 pm I would really prefer them to enhance the DAW features, and less the SOUND features.
To be fair I think that "freely recorded midi" feature you're looking for is there in other DAWS specifically for audio to video post production stuff. So if Bitwig updates their DAW for audio post production work, that sort of feature would come along with it. (the ability to anchor an event position reference to absolute time code and ignore adjustable tempo sub-division position reference)

I haven't had my coffee yet so maybe I misunderstanding what feature you're asking for, but hopefully I'm making sense.

The Midi comping, yeah, Bitwig needs this. I understand if the video/audio post production stuff is way further down the feature list timeline, but as a "primarily music making piece of software" this lack of MIDI comping is kind of a crazy thing to not have.

I'd love to see Bitwig just literally steal Logic's whole Step Sequencer concept. Logic kinda stole Bitwig's "move your audio around inside a clip" concept, so it's only fair that Bitwig steals the Step Sequencer from them, right? hahaha

Cheers
You're litteraly correct about my wish. As a matter of fact, I used to compose for tv shows, but then I was on Cubase.
But now I'm on Linux and not a tv show ghost writer anymore. And Bitwig is the only daw available that won't crash with huge Kontakt orchestral libraries (with Wine and Yabridge), so I had to leave Reaper.
Disvovering the extraordinary workflow of Bitwig was a love at first sight.
Now, my request for freely recorded midi is not much for video than for... freely record a music with emotion, feeling, variations, rubato etc. Not being constrained by a killer clic-clic that makes me play like a robot. I just can't start a music with a metronome, I want to insert tempo variation (or have Bitwig doing this for me) according to what I played.

robisme wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:01 am Now, my request for freely recorded midi is not much for video than for... freely record a music with emotion, feeling, variations, rubato etc. Not being constrained by a killer clic-clic that makes me play like a robot. I just can't start a music with a metronome, I want to insert tempo variation (or have Bitwig doing this for me) according to what I played.
I like recording without a metronome in Logic and then it conforms the tempo to my playing. It generally works quite well. I would very much like to have that in Bitwig.

When I think about it, this might be my #1 feature wish because most other stuff I would welcome can be worked around reasonably well. For example, I would also like midi comping, but it is a convenience. It's not like I cannot record midi and cut parts together now.

Exactly. For a lot of lacks, there is a workaround. But for all that is relative to adapt real-time and beats, there is no workaround, not even a hard way.
I don't have Logic (but know the feature). I use Reaper (less automatic but still good). But it's not ideal as a workflow, and like I said, it can't handle all my template. And Bitwig midi import is not 100% reliable.

I imagine being able to insert cue markers on the real-time ruler as on the beat ruler, and a feature to snap them together, that would insert tempo variation points.

Return to “Bitwig”