push 3 or kontrol mk3 for controlling zebra?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

or some other solution?

I am not a keyboard player, but I looong for hands on control of the synths parameters, and of course also want to trigger the occasional note :help:

another possibility I thought is going modular with some cv to midi solution, but that seems rather fiddly and expensive.
not a fan of Ableton or NI software but those two seem to be the most hands on devices for the task.

Any suggestions from you or if you have experience with one of those devices I would very much appreciate your comment :tu:

As far as "hands on control of synth parameters," I've recently acquired the MP MIDI Controller (mpmidi.com) and have only just started working with it but am quite impressed so far.

For playing notes, I'm quite comfortable with keys (decades of that) but I also quite like the grid layouts such as offered on Push 3. But if you're not into Ableton Live, I wouldn't "push" you towards Push. There are several other grid controllers at much less cost that I think are especially good for a non-keyboarder. Novation Launchpad models along with the new Akai APC64 are probably worth looking at.

I'd say the APC64 is top of the heap right now, but I have a feeling Novation is not far away from releasing mk4 controllers, and a "Launchpad Pro mk4" will hopefully be a strong competitor with APC64. In the meantime, the current Launchpad Pro mk3 can be found with some discounts, and the Launchpad X is maybe the best value in the market and perhaps a lower cost option to try your hands at grid control.

I have Push 3 with Bitwig, and it's really good, but there's a few things that keep me from using as much as I'd like. For one, it's big, at a 12" (36cm) deep! It also requires more than just USB bus power to fully illuminate. Plus it's heavy at like 7+ lbs!
These things might seem minor, but as a result I tend to use my Presonus ATOM SQ a bit more lately. For one, it's always on, with USB bus power. Two, it's half the depth and like a quarter of the weight. It travels well. It has offset pads, like a keyboard, which makes a real difference; eight endless encoders; transport ... It basically has all the essentials if you ask me and somehow ends up being more practical to bang out ideas. Meanwhile, Push 3 is more involved and a bit quirky.
Anyway, I have both and use them differently. Although if I had to part with one right now, it'd be Push.

thank you for pointing out the mpmidi and presonus atom, both of which I didn't know existed!
also a good point about the size of the devices and how it can affect usage.

meanwhile I have ordered two grid blocks from intech with buttons, faders and knobs. they will arrive this week, I also just learned about them now...

wow, that mpmidi looks cool.
i think i may build own this year. Probably not from scratch, just a hack manglage of stuff. small keyboard, wheels on each side, two touchstrips, lotsa knobs but placed in a way that saves my brain some microseconds (by grouping certain functions). maybe some proximity sensors.
I had made a lot of interesting interface parts to my modulars that i found quite expressive.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

lunardigs wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:01 am I have Push 3 with Bitwig, and it's really good, but there's a few things that keep me from using as much as I'd like. For one, it's big, at a 12" (36cm) deep! It also requires more than just USB bus power to fully illuminate. Plus it's heavy at like 7+ lbs!
My Push ended up boxed up in the closet cause it's too big... too deep in particular. Plus I just didn't use it that much.

I prefer the mouse by far for doing sound design for soft synths. For performance, something like the ERAE Touch is more useful for Zebra since it can be configured with 4 X/Y pads. It also takes up less space and is easily portable. You can set it on top of a main keyboard controller for when you want to use it and out of the way otherwise.

CrystalWizard wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:37 pm wow, that mpmidi looks cool.
It does look cool. The thing is, I already know I wouldn't use it. For a few reasons... One, I would find it ergonomically uncomfortable to have to always be looking down at a screen which is bad for the neck. Two, I'm sure I would find after some experimentation that the mouse is still faster/takes less mental recall. Three, it takes up prime real estate right where I want my keyboard controller to sit.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:49 pm ... For performance, something like the ERAE Touch is more useful for Zebra since it can be configured with 4 X/Y pads ...
oysterhead wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:58 pm ... I've recently acquired the MP MIDI Controller (mpmidi.com) and have only just started working with it but am quite impressed so far ...
Wow ... so many indie type midi controller things of late.
CrystalWizard wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:37 pm ... i think i may build own this year. Probably not from scratch, just a hack manglage of stuff. small keyboard, wheels on each side, two touchstrips, lotsa knobs but placed in a way that saves my brain some microseconds (by grouping certain functions). maybe some proximity sensors.
I had made a lot of interesting interface parts to my modulars that i found quite expressive.
I've wanted to do the same for a while now. I've gone so far as to identify misc. components and C libraries to pull it off, and it wouldn't be too difficult. It's just time that I don't have atm.
brieferguesser wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:26 am ... meanwhile I have ordered two grid blocks from intech with buttons, faders and knobs. they will arrive this week, I also just learned about them now...
That stuff looks cool, but I feel like it'd get confusing for me ... It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts about it once you get going.

Ive done VST presets racks for Push 1/2/3 and Ableton live, so you can browse factory presets and tweak Zebra,s midi parameters. They are all free. The VST2 version got all factory presets, VST3 got all preset folders with 2 presets in each, you need to save the rest your self but all midi mappings are ready. If interested ive done many other U-he racks as well for Push.

Join in here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AbletonPushVstRacks

Or from my site here (there are more updates at my FB Group) : http://www.lovelight.biz

pdxindy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:02 pm
CrystalWizard wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:37 pm wow, that mpmidi looks cool.
It does look cool. The thing is, I already know I wouldn't use it. For a few reasons... One, I would find it ergonomically uncomfortable to have to always be looking down at a screen which is bad for the neck. Two, I'm sure I would find after some experimentation that the mouse is still faster/takes less mental recall. Three, it takes up prime real estate right where I want my keyboard controller to sit.
Yeah, plus the knobs around the edge seem like they might interfere with seeing the screen. They also seem like they could break. It's a good idea just needs some advances.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:41 am
Yeah, plus the knobs around the edge seem like they might interfere with seeing the screen. They also seem like they could break. It's a good idea just needs some advances.
I'm sure it will work well for some people... but you have to make it the center of your setup and I have other priorities.

lunardigs wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:54 pm
CrystalWizard wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:37 pm ... i think i may build own this year. Probably not from scratch, just a hack manglage of stuff. small keyboard, wheels on each side, two touchstrips, lotsa knobs but placed in a way that saves my brain some microseconds (by grouping certain functions). maybe some proximity sensors.
I've wanted to do the same for a while now. I've gone so far as to identify misc. components and C libraries to pull it off, and it wouldn't be too difficult. It's just time that I don't have atm.
Yes, time, is one reason that i would try to do it with off the shelf parts or chopping up existing controllers .

Return to “u-he”