Is there a way for VST developers to tell Bitwig not to steal the space bar ?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I noticed yesterday using a previous system with Bitwig 2.4.3 and MNotepad 15.x that the use of the space bar when writing text is natural, as expected.

Not so when using Bitwig 5.1.3 (and previous versions perhaps down to 4) with MNotepad 16.x as the space bar key is stolen by Bitwig and goes straight to the DAW. Which renders taking notes using a VST notepad useless.

Is there a method that a developer of a VST can use to tell Bitwig to ignore the space bar key and leave the handling to the VST ?

I have the same issue in Bitwig and it's annoying. I first noticed the spacebar wasn't working in Capt Plugins where you can type in the chord names. I first attributed it to a plugin bug but then experienced the same behavior with Emvoice. Now I realize the issue is with Bitwig. I even made sure to unmap the spacebar as a shortcut in Bitwig.

I never tired but have heard sometimes that you can press "Shift+ Spacebar" instead... have you tried that??

Try shift+Alt and then spacebar

Try all modifiers... :D

mevla wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:27 am I noticed yesterday using a previous system with Bitwig 2.4.3 and MNotepad 15.x that the use of the space bar when writing text is natural, as expected.

Not so when using Bitwig 5.1.3 (and previous versions perhaps down to 4) with MNotepad 16.x as the space bar key is stolen by Bitwig and goes straight to the DAW. Which renders taking notes using a VST notepad useless.

Is there a method that a developer of a VST can use to tell Bitwig to ignore the space bar key and leave the handling to the VST ?
Im not sure if it totally replaces your vst but there is a note pad on each track/channel in Bitwig. If you click a track it should be on the right where you can place a comment.

Nazlive wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:50 pm Im not sure if it totally replaces your vst but there is a note pad on each track/channel in Bitwig. If you click a track it should be on the right where you can place a comment.
Yes, and I use them for short notes. Although what I'm writing down are often guitar tabs, plus other notes in columns to see the relation between them.

MNotepad works fine if a 2nd window is opened within it as the 2nd window is not subject to Bitwig's stealing the spacebar but lives with the MNotepad VST only.

mevla wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:54 pm
Nazlive wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:50 pm Im not sure if it totally replaces your vst but there is a note pad on each track/channel in Bitwig. If you click a track it should be on the right where you can place a comment.
Yes, and I use them for short notes. Although what I'm writing down are often guitar tabs, plus other notes in columns to see the relation between them.

MNotepad works fine if a 2nd window is opened within it as the 2nd window is not subject to Bitwig's stealing the spacebar but lives with the MNotepad VST only.

Allright i guess the commentbox is a little small for that. Itried to find something else like syncing guitar pro. Only thing that might be interesting is this https://storiolo1.wordpress.com/

Copy a space character off of kvr and ctrl/cmd+v it into your document
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Return to “Bitwig”