No Linux version?

The KVR Studio Manager Public Beta
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You know, I come here as a Linux user because a LOT of your plugin developers release Linux versions of their work. By not having a Linux version of your plugin manager, you're disappointing devs AND users.

I have purchased many plugins based on info from your site (looking at you AudioThing). Don't let us down! Created a Linux version.

+1
my experimental improv duo, rreplay.
more of my music
occasional experimental sound blog all things vst, guitar synth, and more.
The Digital Guitarist.

Don't think it's out of the question, but not at the top of the list at the moment.
Will make a note as a feature request.

There is Windows and there is Mac. That's where the musicians are, that's where the market is. And then there are over 600 Linux distributions. And then you know already one reason why so few developers develops for "Linux". Which Linux? Arch, Debian, RedHat and its derivates? Even an exotic one? Which desktop? Which package manager? There is no The Linux. And so there cannot be a The Linux version.

My advice is to use the OS where the software is available for.

Tiles wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:19 am There is Windows and there is Mac. That's where the musicians are, that's where the market is. ...
Tiles, I have 30 years experience in audio using Mac, Windows and Linux. Linux is by far the most stable OS system and Pipewire is the most advanced audio stack out there.

Even here at KVR, there are 33 pages of Linux plugins in their database. And if there is a Windows plugin you must have, it'll probably run with a bridging app like yabridge. Plugin developers wouldn't make Linux versions if there wasn't a market for it.

Lots of artists and engineers, including myself, have great worklows, active careers and make a living using DAWs on Linux. In fact, one of my reasons for moving to Linux is more profitably vs a comparable Windows/Mac system. No iLok crap, almost no subscriptions (I don't have any), and reasonably priced DAWs that don't try to screwover their user base. You should give it a try.

mcoyle1960 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:53 pm
Tiles wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:19 am There is Windows and there is Mac. That's where the musicians are, that's where the market is. ...
Tiles, I have 30 years experience in audio using Mac, Windows and Linux. Linux is by far the most stable OS system
No...

Linux users are the most vocal though, for sure. Almost gotta get ear plugs, as loud as they scream.

So much flak when over the target.

"How dare you use X solution when I've spent so much $$$ on Y!?"

I'd love to see a Linux version too, please -> looking forward to leaving Mac and Win behind.

Edit: sorry, forgot to say, I know it's a beta and my friend and I have witnessed some of the quirks mentioned in other threads on his account....but great job with KSM so far!

mcoyle1960 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:53 pm
Tiles, I have 30 years experience in audio using Mac, Windows and Linux. Linux is by far the most stable OS system and Pipewire is the most advanced audio stack out there.

Even here at KVR, there are 33 pages of Linux plugins in their database. And if there is a Windows plugin you must have, it'll probably run with a bridging app like yabridge. Plugin developers wouldn't make Linux versions if there wasn't a market for it.

Lots of artists and engineers, including myself, have great worklows, active careers and make a living using DAWs on Linux. In fact, one of my reasons for moving to Linux is more profitably vs a comparable Windows/Mac system. No iLok crap, almost no subscriptions (I don't have any), and reasonably priced DAWs that don't try to screwover their user base. You should give it a try.
Give it a try? Like touching it and being convinced already? The myth again that you just neeed to convince people strong enough with The Truth™ ? :)

See, this propaganda trick does not work since over 25 years. Starts already with the myth that Linux is oh so stable. Ubuntu gave me regularly obscure warnings. And crashes is nothing unknown to me. Debian still dislikes a sudo nemo in a vanilla installation. And i cannot count anymore how often i have battled with dependencies. Anyways. My first Linux was a Suse back in 99. And already there was my first question, yeah, nice, but where's the software? And the second was regarding usability. What the ...

There is a reason why Linux at the desktop is between 2 and 3 % market share since over 25 years. And just a very small fraction of them really makes music. And then you know that your "lots of artists" is propaganda again. In more than one way. I am one. I could not work at Linux, my Software is missing. And so cannot whole industries. No photoshop means no graphics artist.

People have long voted with their feet. When you want to change it, then Propaganda does not help. You need to fix the issues.

The biggest issue is simply that the software is missing. The software at which you so proudly point at is just a fraction of what is available at Windows. And as a developer i can also tell you why it is missing. Because it is a pain to develop for Linux. Even Linus knows the reasons all. There is a video around why linux sucks at the desktop where he names all the points. Even over ten years old, and still valid. Which shows that the problems will never be fixed. But anyways. I have lead this discussion at this board one time too often already.

Good luck with your Linux. May you never be in the situation where your limited software pool is not enough anymore. Like here ...

My advice stays the same though. First look what software you need, THEN look at which OS it works. Not vice versa. Don't limit yourself without a good reason. You have a job to do. And this job is called music. Not Linux.

Tiles wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:12 amFirst look what software you need, THEN look at which OS it works
Over here, most of the time it's Linux. I use both Windows and Linux, and it's quite remarkable what has become of the latter over the years, despite the type of attitudes and material Tiles posted above.

I remember you from another Linux thread, and over there too your arguments contained unfortunate factual errors and deliberate misinformation. Let's not do that. If interested in a non-mainstream OS, I would advise anyone to take a more balanced and informed approach, and see in practice what is actually possible, what is available for each platform, consider your preferences and background, find people who will show you in practice what the differences are, and how well the exact things you wish to do work. Don't put too much emphasis on information skewed to any direction, be it positive or negative, and know how to spot such biases. Go with your own needs, and possibilities that interest you.

If you are already experienced - maybe have done this professionally, even - and already know your workflow and what is required, the easier it is for you to assess whether a certain environment works for you.

For me, when I work in Linux, it's the same software and same UIs that I stare for the overwhelming majority of the time, on Windows, too, and the experience is 1:1 the same. I know what my workflow is, and what I need. Having a quality audio interface with extremely stable drivers helps on both systems. (It seems I've avoided all the usually mentioned problems on the Windows side, too, by going with RME for well over a decade.)

There are plenty of different use cases, and no blanket statements one way or another cover them all. A friendly "can do" attitude, with positive curiosity and an interested outlook, seeing whether something works for you and if there is something that inspires you in something you haven't encountered before, is usually a nice way to look at things.

Oh, and hey, for utility software, distributing as an appimage is worth considering: https://appimage.org

Ah, I should have known it. As you might have noticed in the other thread, propaganda lies will not work at me. I know Linux in and out :)
unfortunate factual errors and deliberate misinformation.
:D

Just curious, does The Truth™ about Linux allow you to run for example this instrument here? https://impactsoundworks.com/product/sh ... 3-stratus/ . As as reminder, it requires Kontakt ...
And does The Truth™ about Linux allow you to run KVR Studio, which this thread is about? Just to remember, here an user asks for a Linux version ...
And does The Truth™ about Linux change anything at the fact that the market share is 2-3% since over 25 years, flatlining? Fun fact, this 2-3% is not made of musicians. But mainly of programmers and developers. Linux distros is a niche os each. There are just a hand full of Musicians. A small fraction of the small fraction so to speak. Far far, really far away from lots of ...

When software is simply not available then it's not a question of workflow. Then it's a question of not being able to complete your job. And i have a job to do.

I just points at the facts. I told you already in the other thread, it does not help to kill the messenger. And as also told in the other thread, i will not talk with toxic people.
Oh, and hey, for utility software, distributing as an appimage is worth considering: https://appimage.org
That's what we use. And Flatpak. And Deb. And tar. And there would be even more needed. Since every solution just works at a fraction of the distros and versions. Appimage. Snap and Flatpak all have for example a problem with the GlibC version. First it needs to be high enough that it even builds. And second it needs to be low enough that it runs at as much distros as possible. I repeat, to deploy for Linux is a pain in the butt.

Wow. Seems alot of pent up stuff you needed to get out.

I too would like to see a Linux version eventually, please.

Not really. I just hate when some people of the Linux fraction starts to lie at people. Because it damages OUR Linux. And i would love to see the quirks be fixed at one point. And not to be talked away. For me all this quirks is just how it is. I deal with it at a daily base.

There's no money to be made (i.e. market) writing and supporting audio software for Linux, that much is inarguable.

Hmm, needed to take a moment to consider how to reply. I dislike people lying in order to make their opinions and attitudes seem more logical, too. However, in this case I think it's just factual errors (referring more to that other drawn-out thread recently), and misinformation, the latter more in the sense of implying the incorrect things, not so much knowingly outright lying, but trying to paint a certain kind of picture. Not a pretty one from a more balanced point of view :D, but yeah. Hmmh.

In any case, if pursuing the goals of more level discourse, it's quite probable this thread will just keep going like last time (when Tiles was writing about Linux), so I'll try to keep it semi-brief, and then close the book on this discussion on my part, heh. You have gotten your say, again, and I just like to remind people that it's not quite like that.

It's safe to say that you, Tiles, have a set view on this, and I'd say you are exaggerating the negatives and rarely communicating the positives. As I mentioned, to people who are interested: try things out for yourself, based on your own use case. And take everything written here with a grain of salt. Also the things I write, that is. Don't be like "oh, I was interested, and I'm technically proficient even, but now that this Tiles fellow told me it's that bad, I don't think it's for me." (As if you were going to do that :D ... But anyway!) See for yourself whether it is viable for you or isn't.
Tiles wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:17 pmJust curious, does The Truth™ about Linux allow you to run for example this instrument here? As as reminder, it requires Kontakt
Kontakt is the main software I use Windows for. I also use Windows for running test builds and developing Windows software. Even though I'm no stranger to different OS environments, Windows is what I grew up with, the most. On the music side, my composing rig and its backup system have terabytes of Kontakt material in a Windows setup, running natively, and it will stay put like that.

I have no desire to move that onto Linux (there are people who use Kontakt through a compatibility layer there; I don't want to change a working toolset, and want to keep it all native). So I compose happily in Windows. Tens of thousands invested in Kontakt licenses nowadays here, and no particular desire to install/activate it again in one go even on the same OS.
Tiles wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:17 pmWhen software is simply not available then it's not a question of workflow. Then it's a question of not being able to complete your job. And i have a job to do.
I understand where you are coming from. I have a job to do, too, and that's the most important thing here. However, that, in turn, is most importantly, crucially, indeed about the workflow. You need to be able to do your job, and do it with a toolset that, all things considered, suits your work best, the way you want to do it. This is exactly how I see it, too, and I wouldn't be using Linux if it didn't work so well for me. If there is anything you, personally, take from what I write, it's realizing that you aren't speaking for all people and all use cases. Things can really be context-dependent.

Even though the software is not there for you, for someone else - like me - it actually is. I know what I want to use, and how I use it. This experience has been just as pleasant as on Windows. (Adding to that, the custom-built Linux environment I use can boot on any x64 system if need be, runs live if needed, installs on bare metal if needed; it's pre-configured and ready to roll.)

Both Windows and Linux have worked very smoothly, without me having to troubleshoot mid-work, letting me concentrate on the project at hand. I've been the music/audio lead in projects coming from pretty known publishers (including for example Electronic Arts) and the main person responsible for things audio/musical in over thirty videogames.

Wishing you well, and hoping everyone can keep a positive and curious outlook on technology and the tools that they use.

Return to “KVR Studio Manager”