So what happened to that long list of devs supporting CLAP?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trancit wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:33 am
mudi1974 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:43 am
OdoSendaidokai wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:50 pm Maybe you can trust Steinberg, why not ... but what can happen when there are some investors buying Steinberg and wanting to make more money by selling licenses for developing and hosting. Or maybe just offering subscriptions for developers.
Steinberg is owned by Yamaha. Why would they want to sell this core asset to investors? Don't think that it would make sense and don't believe this will ever happen.
At the very end it doesn´t matter...
It´s dangerous anyway that the rights and the saying about a standard like this lies in the hand of a single company which is on top a competitor to all others...
So CLAP is the only logical way for every developer in the future and actually those people should be smart enough to understand that it´s easier and much more safe to go the CLAP route instead of hoping that Steinberg doesn´t get more crazy...
It's an hiloarious fail that everybody is bashing steinberg. With the advent of VST3 it was very clear from the beginning that VST2 will go away. It was a bunch of reluctant developers that a.) didn't move and b.) never supported VST3 fully ... for instance per note articulation. There are a few devs that kind of never complain like Melda ... that's interesting sort of.
Why should this Version-to-Version mechanics of software development be different with Clap? Why is not governing an advantage? Peps can do forkes and f**k the whole Idea by forking and going different ways. That is simply the way product development goes. If a Clap 2.x supercedes Clap 1.x then what are your options? Windows 7 is gone ... everybody had to move. Even Java as a programming language got rid of some classes after years (it is owned by Oracle) and finally the force people to move in order to not block progress...

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:23 am It's an hiloarious fail that everybody is bashing steinberg. With the advent of VST3 it was very clear from the beginning that VST2 will go away.
It´s not...
It is an absolute unnecessary dick move from Steinberg to cancel all previous agreements on VST2 and it´s yet to examine what this EULA change means for DAWs supporting VST2 which probably (at least on Windows) could work the next 20 years without problems...
If DAWs now are as well forced to step out of VST2 support there will be a whole lot of older but still working and worthy older gems just rubbish...
I guess this will upset a ton of people...
Why should this Version-to-Version mechanics of software development be different with Clap? Why is not governing an advantage? Peps can do forkes and f**k the whole Idea by forking and going different ways. That is simply the way product development goes. If a Clap 2.x supercedes Clap 1.x then what are your options?
The difference here is for my understanding that you are absolutely free to use it and nobody can dictate which version you are allowed to use and what not... if this isn´t a difference then I don´t know what would be!

Trancit wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:33 am At the very end it doesn´t matter...
It´s dangerous anyway that the rights and the saying about a standard like this lies in the hand of a single company which is on top a competitor to all others...
So CLAP is the only logical way for every developer in the future and actually those people should be smart enough to understand that it´s easier and much more safe to go the CLAP route instead of hoping that Steinberg doesn´t get more crazy...
Yes, for sure. As I am only using Reaper and Bitwig I have only DAWs that already support CLAP and it is already my preferred format.

Trancit wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:28 pm
The difference here is for my understanding that you are absolutely free to use it and nobody can dictate which version you are allowed to use and what not... if this isn´t a difference then I don´t know what would be!
And there is not a single company who controls CLAP and can unilaterally decide to make a CLAP 2 in the first place. No one company can make changes they want that a wide range of developers don't want like Steinberg has done.

What a company might do, is write a CLAP extension that adds some capability they want. They can share that extension or not. But they have no mechanism to exert control over what any other developers do.

Stop judging Steinberg. There may be some more reasons why they do what they do and the license they have chosen allows them to do what they do. So don't judge someone whose license you agreed and the technology you embraced !

I think we figured out the most important point. Let's come back to the thread topic and the bright future of CLAP. SCNR ;)

OdoSendaidokai wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:46 pm So don't judge someone whose license you agreed and the technology you embraced !
The lifetime license that has been canceled retroactively :clown:

OdoSendaidokai wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:46 pm Stop judging Steinberg.
Sorry, but I'll judge Steinberg how and when I want to. Steinberg has been a poor steward of a common format. CLAP probably wouldn't exist if Steinberg had acted as a good steward rather than as a bully.

But hey, Steinberg has done me a favor. With CLAP I now have functionality I only dreamed about a few years ago. I look forward to the day when I don't have a single VST plugin installed.

Trancit wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:28 pm It is an absolute unnecessary dick move from Steinberg to cancel all previous agreements on VST2 and it´s yet to examine what this EULA change means for DAWs supporting VST2 which probably (at least on Windows) could work the next 20 years without problems...
If DAWs now are as well forced to step out of VST2 support there will be a whole lot of older but still working and worthy older gems just rubbish...
I guess this will upset a ton of people...
my guess is Steinberg won't act on the implied threat. if they went after, say, ableton, the obvious response would be to go to the EU with an antitrust complaint. though Steinberg isn't a monopoly I think it would be easy to make the case that a licence termination on that basis was an abuse of market power and Steinberg would have to row back.

I think that may be why the language in the new vst sdk isn't explicit about terminating vst2, it just presents it as a logical conclusion. most plugin devs won't want to take the chance of having their vst3 licence revoked so will go along with it. a competing daw provider? not so much as though it would take years to complete, an antitrust case would be a painful exercise for Steinberg and a completely unforced error.

however, in the meantime, people get onboard the clap train. so Steinberg loses that way too. it's a cock-up entirely of their own making.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:14 pm
OdoSendaidokai wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:46 pm Stop judging Steinberg.
Sorry, but I'll judge Steinberg how and when I want to. Steinberg has been a poor steward of a common format. CLAP probably wouldn't exist if Steinberg had acted as a good steward rather than as a bully.

But hey, Steinberg has done me a favor. With CLAP I now have functionality I only dreamed about a few years ago. I look forward to the day when I don't have a single VST plugin installed.
You don't have to be sorry. Especially not, when only picking just the half sentence of what I said. Just think about the situation you giving someone power over you and then start complaining someone has power over you. Doesn't make sense.
So take it and live with it, or just embrace the bright future of CLAP ;)

OdoSendaidokai wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:49 am
You don't have to be sorry.
I'm not... that's just a figure of speech. 8)

Lack of understanding though!
Bitwig, against the constitution.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:02 pm
OdoSendaidokai wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:49 am
You don't have to be sorry.
I'm not... that's just a figure of speech. 8)
I know, but you didn't get even the second hint. ;)

OdoSendaidokai wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:49 am Especially not, when only picking just the half sentence of what I said.
He literally quoted your whole first sentence. It's not his fault that your first sentence is only a few words long.

OdoSendaidokai wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:27 pm
I know, but you didn't get even the second hint. ;)
Guess I’m dense…. ;)

Reading back it all seems a bit "Twilight Zone", I don't even understand what I wrote!
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Return to “Bitwig”