Please test Waveform 13 against Wayland on Linux.

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I'm hoping the devs will see this - I'm asking since Ubuntu / Kubuntu will both soon be using Wayland as default, and as such I would expect this to be the default graphics platform against which Waveform should now be tested on Linux.

The reason for asking is that I have found that CTRL + Left Click does not work in Waveform 12.5.17 to copy a plugin from one track to another. This is on Kubuntu 23.10 / Wayland. If I switch back to X11 this works.

Can this be checked as a specific issue, but also can we expect W13 at least to be verified in Wayland to avoid this or similar corner cases?

Thanks.
Ryzen 5 8600G, 32GB DDR5, Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, Waveform Pro 13, Mixbus Pro 10, Reaper 7, Bitwig 5.1.

unholyeyebrows wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:15 am Hi

I'm hoping the devs will see this - I'm asking since Ubuntu / Kubuntu will both soon be using Wayland as default, and as such I would expect this to be the default graphics platform against which Waveform should now be tested on Linux.

The reason for asking is that I have found that CTRL + Left Click does not work in Waveform 12.5.17 to copy a plugin from one track to another. This is on Kubuntu 23.10 / Wayland. If I switch back to X11 this works.

Can this be checked as a specific issue, but also can we expect W13 at least to be verified in Wayland to avoid this or similar corner cases?

Thanks.
I thought Wayland has been the default since version 21.04?

I think you're right. Even more reason to test with Wayland.
Ryzen 5 8600G, 32GB DDR5, Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, Waveform Pro 13, Mixbus Pro 10, Reaper 7, Bitwig 5.1.

Hi @unholyeyebrows, I've just tested it and it works fine.

Running Waveform PRO 12.5.17 (BETA) on Ubuntu 24.04 (developer).

I've always had issues with OpenGL rendering... since Waveform 11... so I always make sure I use the software renderer.
Settings->Advanced->Performance->GUI Rendering mode->Software Renderer.

Hope that helps.

Now... having said that... I really hope Tracktion tests Waveform13 in Linux to iron out any rough edges :)
Give yourself the opportunity to discover something.

Bear in mind that there are no more than two or three devs. I gather initial coding is on Mac. Users will need to rely on experienced other users for a lot of verification, especially given the number of Linux distros and machine set-ups. But fingers crossed.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

dajonaga wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:01 pm Hi @unholyeyebrows, I've just tested it and it works fine.

I've always had issues with OpenGL rendering... since Waveform 11... so I always make sure I use the software renderer.

Hope that helps.

Now... having said that... I really hope Tracktion tests Waveform13 in Linux to iron out any rough edges :)
Hi - thanks for this. Are you able to CTRL+Left mouse drag plugins from one track to duplicate it on another? When I try this it just moves it. If it works for you then perhaps the newer Ubuntu stack will solve this.

[EDIT] I should have also said I have Software Rendering enabled [/EDIT]
Last edited by unholyeyebrows on Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jabe wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:16 pm Bear in mind that there are no more than two or three devs. I gather initial coding is on Mac. Users will need to rely on experienced other users for a lot of verification, especially given the number of Linux distros and machine set-ups. But fingers crossed.
I fully understand, I guess I saw a comment from figbug a while ago that he had upgraded his Linux build machine to 18.04, but that got me thinking that any tests of the Ubuntu build are therefore likely to be with X11. With Plasma now prioritising Wayland, and Gnome already there, I guess for the long term most Linux users will be running Wayland. This is especially true if (like me) you also have Studio One installed which cannot run on X11.

unholyeyebrows wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:26 pm
dajonaga wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:01 pm Hi @unholyeyebrows, I've just tested it and it works fine.

Hope that helps.

Hi - thanks for this. Are you able to CTRL+Left mouse drag plugins from one track to duplicate it on another? When I try this it just moves it. If it works for you then perhaps the newer Ubuntu stack will solve this.

[EDIT] I should have also said I have Software Rendering enabled [/EDIT]
CTRL+Left mouse drag to duplicate works as intended, yes. I'm not sure it is an Ubuntu 24.04 thing, because I was doing it in 23.10 with WF12.5.17. That's why I pointed out the rendering issue.
Here:
Waveform12.5.17-duplicating-plugin.gif
Now... I'm not sure what could be the root cause. :shrug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks that's useful info. Sounds like my problem might be specific to Plasma Wayland.

Hmm that might be it... I'm on Gnome.

Hi - appolgies for coming back to this old thread, but would you mind confirming whether you installed W12 on a clean 24.04 install or an upgrade from an earlier version?

Reason for asking is I'm now testing W13 on the Ubuntu 24.04 Beta (clean install) and it will not install (neither will W12) due to a missing dependency:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ./waveform12_12.5.20_amd64.deb 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'waveform12' instead of './waveform12_12.5.20_amd64.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 waveform12 : Depends: libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
More in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=609124

Thanks
Nick

unholyeyebrows wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:58 pm

Hi - appolgies for coming back to this old thread, but would you mind confirming whether you installed W12 on a clean 24.04 install or an upgrade from an earlier version?

Reason for asking is I'm now testing W13 on the Ubuntu 24.04 Beta (clean install) and it will not install (neither will W12) due to a missing dependency:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ./waveform12_12.5.20_amd64.deb 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'waveform12' instead of './waveform12_12.5.20_amd64.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 waveform12 : Depends: libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
More in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=609124

Thanks
Nick
No clean install here. I've been upgrading since 23.10 + Waveform12 PRO.

Although, I can confirm (AFAIK) all is working fine with the latest JS libs.

I bet you can satisfy the dependency by downloading and installing the .deb package from here:
[LOOK BELOW FOR A BETTER SOLUTION]

And then try installing Waveform13.
unholyeyebrows wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 am
unholyeyebrows wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 am ...and it looks like manually downloading and installing libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18_2.42.1-2_amd64.deb is opening up a can of worms from a dependency perspective:
Ah, not so fast! I have found a newer version of this library here:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/no ... 8/2.43.3-1

This downloads and installs fine, and Waveform13 is now installed too.

This suggests there appears to be an official version of this library on the Ubuntu Noble repository, but it does not show up in apt-get.
Last edited by dajonaga on Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unholyeyebrows wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:15 am The reason for asking is that I have found that CTRL + Left Click does not work in Waveform 12.5.17 to copy a plugin from one track to another. This is on Kubuntu 23.10 / Wayland. If I switch back to X11 this works.
Just to confirm, this problem does not exist in W13 and Ubuntu 24.04 / Wayland.

Return to “Tracktion”